Mulan (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Announces Live-Action Mulan Remake

Post by Avaitor »

Well another company is doing Peter Pan. With Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily, no less...
adamw92
Limited Issue

Post by adamw92 »

It'll be interesting to see this. I absolutely love the animation, the only thing I'm concerned about is if they'll include Mushu in this.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Jules wrote:Disney, you fools! Where's the Saludos Amigos live-action remake?
Isn't it part live action and part animated. I can't see that being a live action movie that will be done.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

unprincess wrote:so whats left:

Snow White: I thought they already did this one: Mirror Mirror?

Pinocchio: this one could work in the vein of the other fantasy/ft movies with strong female leads, especially if they tell it from the point of view of the Blue Fairy

Bambi/Lion King: I really hope they dont go there, but then again they are doing Dumbo & JB

Peter Pan: its only a matter of time

all the talking cat dog mouse films(L&T O&Co. F&H the Rescuers etc..) I coud see these being done as quick cheap CGI fests (think BV Chihuahua/Buddy/G-force movies), though they might try to take a bit more care with L&T considering how prestigious it is.

Little Mermaid-: also will happen eventually but its gonna be really costly/risky due to the water fx's

Aladdin: iffy b/c of the ethnicity/religion of the cast, but it could happen, especially since the play seems to be popular

Tarzan: maybe but not in a long time as there have been too many recent versions from other studios

Tangled /Frozen- too recent but will probably get made eventually, not for a while though

everything else is not popular enough or too recent to be made
Bambi and Lion King won't be made into live action as all the characters are animals. Wasn't Peter Pan done in live action already by a different company.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Mirror Mirror was not made or released by Disney. Neither was the 2003 Peter Pan or the new one coming out this summer.

Also, I feel we should lay the groundrules on what defines a remake. Adaptation is when something is directly based on the original source material or other non-cinematic medium, regardless if there have been other film versions. Remake is when a movie is directly redoing another film. So, Mirror Mirror and Snow White & the Huntsman are not remakes to me. And neither is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, for that matter. But Maleficent kind of is a remake, since they seemed to have been doing a new take on the animated Sleeping Beauty. Cinderella is also one that could be a remake or an adaptation, depending on your point of view. To me, since Kenneth Branagh utilised only minor things from the animated film, it's closer to a new adaptation of the fairy tale rather than a full-on remake.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

estefan, thank you!! I don't know why people keep bringing up films made by other studios whenever a Disney live-action adaptation or remake is announced. Universal's Snow White and the Huntsman has nothing to do with Disney's Cinderella or Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

huh, I could have sworn Disney made Mirror Mirror....
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I love the idea of a live action Mulan! And this makes me hopefull that Disney might make more live action movies that are not about animals and neither based on European fairytales. I think they should widen their approach and look at their animated movies that are based on legends, myths, history and classical stories as well.

If Disney can make live action movies out of Dumbo, The Jungle Book and Mulan, then they IMO sure can make live action versions of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules as well.

Since the songs in the Alan Menken movies are so great (and because pure Broadway), it would be a shame if it was not included in some way. The musical form might perhaps not fit for a movie like Hercules though. The main songs should at least be included in the credits, as it was done in the Cinderella live action. If these movies were made into live action and they were not made as musicals, Menken could write the new score and base it on the songs and score from the animated movies.

The Little Mermaid could either be a musical or a non-musical fairytale like the new Cinderella.

Aladdin could either be a muscial, a non-musical fairytale like the new Cinderella - in either case, comedy and action should be central elements.

Pocahontas would really work as a musical I think. The songs are so iconic and this could be a serious and more dark and dramatic movie. I would say the same applies for The Hunchback of Notre Dame: If one of these movies should be a musical, it should be Hunchback. The songs and the dramatic score is such a huge part of that movie. Also, Pocahontas and Hunchback is not as big part of mainstream popular culture as say Cinderella or Alice in Wonderland, so the Disney versions (and the songs from these movies) are really what most/many people think of when they think about Pocahontas and Hunchback. Therefore it would be wise to include the songs people are familiar with from the Disney animated versions in a live action film.

Hercules should be comedy and action. (And since it's Disney, it should also have a "heart" and emotions as well.) I am not sure if this movie would work as a musical. The songs are not that well known, and a musical could scare away much of the potential the male audience.

Since The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Hunchback already have been expanded into stage musicals featuring additional songs, it would make sense to make those movies into musicals as well, just like Beauty and the Beast. I could see Pocahontas and Hercules be turned into Broadway musicals as well, and then it would make more sense to make potential Pocahontas and Hercules movies into musicals as well.

My concern about making all these potential live action movies into musicals are: would the audience show up to see them, like they have showed up to see Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent and Oz The Great and Powerful? Beauty and the Beast are so popular that I have no doubt about it being succesfull financially though, musical or not...

I don't think live action Mulan would work very well as a musical. The songs are few and they are not that well known as many of the songs from Pocahontas, Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. They should instead record new versions of Reflection and I'll Make A Man Out Of You and use them in the credits.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't get why Disney is doing this. Is Mulan actually popular?
Nala wrote:
Disneyphile wrote:It's only a matter of time before they announce the live-action remakes of Snow White, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Tarzan, Tangled and Frozen.
Snow White and Pinocchio have been done to live action by other companies. I have the Snow White live action in my DVD collection. I can actually see Tarzan, Tangled and Frozen being made to live action but I can't see Aladdin being made into live action.
Nala wrote:Wasn't Peter Pan done in live action already by a different company.
So what if Snow White or Peter Pan were done in live-action before? They were done at different studios than Disney, so Disney can do their own.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, they already have a pick for Mulan. Thoughts? I think she'd be a nice choice! :)

Glee Star Jenna Ushkowitz Rumored to Star in Upcoming Disney Live Action "Mulan"
https://onmogul.com/articles/glee-star- ... B0.twitter
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Tina? I hope they don't cast her as the lead. She'd be okay if they have her play a new character though (maybe a girl friend for Mulan to talk to early in the film, or one the other girls during the matchmaker scene).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm glad this is coming next although it's interesting how the release date isn't the typical spring date they've been using so far for their live-action fairy tales. Isn't November 2018 supposed to be when Gigantic is coming out anyway...unless it has been pushed back again because of the new director?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Yes. Mulan's on the 2nd and Gigantic's on the 21st.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Hmm that seems odd that they are so close together. Usually Disney likes to stagger their releases a bit more, especially since these two films will likely attract similar crowds.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Supposedly, a spec script of the movie was leaked revealing that the story will center on a white male love interest instead of Mulan. I'm dubious about the legitimacy of this, so take it with a grain of salt.

An Open Letter to the Creators of Disney's Live-Action Feature Film 'The Legend of Mulan'
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2016/10/a ... sneys.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Even Disney couldn't be that incredibly stupid.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There's also a chance Disney bought the only other Mulan script being shopped around to get rid of competition without intending to use it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Well before Disney started Mulan, they were planning on a story where the Chinese Girl was swept away by a British Prince Charming to the wonders of the western world, so I wouldn't put it past them.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems the leaked script wasn't fake, but the current script doesn't include the white love interest anymore:
A source, however, tells V.F. that the spec script will not serve as the official script for the adaptation. “The spec script was a jumping-off point for a new take on the story that draws from both the literary ballad of Mulan and Disney’s 1998 animated film,” the source said. “Mulan is and will always be the lead character in the story, and all primary roles, including the love interest, are Chinese.”
Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ead-disney