DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 am 
Platinum Edition

AHS has been renewed for 3 more seasons, the first of which is Apocalypse this Fall. It's a crossover of Murder House and Coven. There's a crapload of returning cast, including Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange (for one episode), Frances Conroy, Lily Rabe, Gabourey Sidibe, Emma Roberts, etc., although I haven't read anything about Angela Bassett yet. Hopefully Leslie Jordan appears, too. The only notable new cast so far is Joan Collins and possibly Anjelica Huston. Excited by both of those actresses.

I didn't like Roanoke and didn't watch any of Cult beyond the premiere. I thought I would like Cult based on the premise, but Murphy really failed in the execution. I had pretty much already decided I wouldn't watch this year, then the announcement about this being a continuation of Coven (my favorite season) pretty much brought me back. I really hope they don't screw this up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm 
Platinum Edition

Well, I stuck it out through the first 3 episodes waiting for the Coven characters to arrive. Those first two episodes were absolutely awful.* Now, most of the cast from those first three episodes is dead, THANKFULLY GOOD RIDDANCE and the third episode gave me hope that this season might pick itself up out of the gutter now.

*Seriously, talk about a complete waste of three hours outside of Joan Collins being Joan Collins and Evan Peters getting stripped down in first a "shower" and then a sex scene.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

I, too, was glad to see the Coven characters return in episode three, and I didn't even really like that season. Here's hoping the season will improve as it goes on and that we don't have to wait too long to see the Murder House characters. I didn't really like Cult, though I did watch all of it, and I never did finish Roanoke, so I'm hoping this season gets back on track.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

I liked Kathy Bates' character more this episode. I thought the end of the episode would be back in the present, but they ended it still in flashback. I loved the Hotel cameo (+ March); Hotel and Coven are the only seasons I like and want to buy eventually. If Cult has more episodes like these last two, I might pick it up, too.

The guy playing the Antichrist--I'm just assuming that's what he is--looks like a much prettier Nicholas Cage. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 am 
Limited Edition

I didn't realize there was a thread for AHS here.

Loved last night's episode! Great to see Hotel again and of course all the Coven characters. I expected the end of the episode would result in a showdown between the witches and Michael but I guess that's being kept for later. Next episode will be predominantly flashbacks too it seems, but I don't mind. I hope they explain Dinah's character though because she's such an enigma.

The theory so far seems to be that Michael isn't a warlock, but his powers come from being the Antichrist. He can't be the Alpha then but Timothy (the bland guy from the first few episodes who's chosen for his genes) will be resurrected because he's the real Alpha. People think Mallory (Billie Lourd's character) is an angel or has some connection to angels which is why Michael is so freaked out by her. This is also why she seems like such a powerful and gifted witch, since she really isn't one at all and she'll be Cordelia and the witches' secret weapon against Michael.

Michael's actor is Cody Fern who I had the joy of seeing in Ryan Murphy's Versace show. I loved him there where he's playing a completely different character, so I'm glad that now more people are being exposed to this actor. He seems to have quickly become a fan fav. He's also got work in the final season of House of Cards so I hope he keeps getting big projects.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
If Cult has more episodes like these last two, I might pick it up, too.

Are you currently binging Cult right now? I quite enjoyed Cult but a lot of people complained that the politics were too heavy-handed for their taste. Also it lacks any supernatural terror which you seem to prefer since your fav seasons are Coven and Hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:21 am 
Platinum Edition

No, I mis-typed. I meant to say Apocalypse. I only watched the first episode of Cult. I was looking forward to that season because of the political aspect, but it just really failed in the execution, imo. Although I remember lmao at the satire of the "easily triggered liberal" (Sarah Paulson's character) screaming and crying over Hillary losing only to find out that the hypocrite voted for f***ing batsh*t Jill Stein. If that isn't just the closest thing to real life, I don't know what is. rotfl All those people who pretend to care about things to assuage their consciences playing with their votes like it's nothing but a game, allowing a monster like Drumpf to walk through the front door. They deserve to be mocked.

Quote:
The theory so far seems to be that Michael isn't a warlock, but his powers come from being the Antichrist. He can't be the Alpha then but Timothy (the bland guy from the first few episodes who's chosen for his genes) will be resurrected because he's the real Alpha.
I had wondered yesterday when I made my post what was even the point with opening the season with that character since he ultimately meant nothing in the scheme of things (being killed off an ep ago).

When Cordelia is leaving the compound only to come out to find Michael with Queenie / Madison, she kept acting weak. All I could think is that the new Supreme--or Alpha--was beginning to drain her power. I assumed they were implying that was Michael, but it could be anyone really.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 am 
Limited Edition

I was furious when Sarah Paulson's character confessed that she voted for Jill Stein, but I wasn't even surprised. Like you said, that was so true to reality for so many people. Basically the first half of the season is just Paulson's character shrieking in every scene. It takes a while to build up but there are some really hilarious moments of political and social satire throughout the whole season. On top of that, a lot of the cast members in Apocalypse made their debuts in Cult, like Billie Lourd, Leslie Grossman, and Billy Eichner. Leslie's character in particular was a huge fan-fav..

He and the other girl were both so boring that I'm hoping they'll stay dead, but we'll see.

From what I remember, everytime a new Supreme would emerge, the previous Supreme's health would suddenly start to fail. However, I've also heard the theory that her fainting is because she recognizes Michael as the Antichrist and has a vision of the apocalypse. The promo showed her vision so maybe that's why she fainted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:28 pm 
Limited Edition

The latest episode had so many commercials that I swear it felt like it was more commercial than episode. Regardless of that, I'm glad that Cordelia administrating the Seven Wonders test was all part of her plan to gauge Michael's power and get an excuse to bring back Misty. I'm assuming that her nosebleed at the end was just an act, although she probably is dying because Mallory will be the next Supreme.

The Stevie Nicks scene was pure fan-service and frankly a waste of time in an already truncated episode. I think the song was longer than any other sequence in the episode.

I'm surprised that Cheyenne Jackson's character was killed off so quickly since he's given top billing. I guess he'll be resurrected like most everyone else though.

Can't wait to see Murder House next episode! It'll have been years since Jessica Lange has been in an AHS episode and I wish she was appearing in more than one. I would have loved to have seen a Fiona cameo but at least we'll see her as Constance. Too bad the promo refused to show her face but at least we got to hear her voice. I'm guessing that Connie Britton will be back next episode too which also has me excited.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, I never commented. This last episode was great. I loved it all—even the longer-than-necessary Stevie Nicks cameo. The scene where Michael rescued Misty is the first time I’ve actually been creeped out so far (aside from the opening credits). Not when he cut the guy down the center, but when all the “children” twisted upwards and were speaking to him in another language.

Madison and Behold on a roadtrip together is going to be so funny, I already know it. I suppose this’ll be Jessica Lange’s one episode this season. The MH cameo is good, but I hope they make the most of Lange and have Cordelia somehow speak to her mother for advice on Michael, too. Perhaps go to Hell to talk to her briefly or something else. What I think would be interesting is if she went to Hell, but had to wander around a little bit to find her first and we got cameos of other characters in Hell (not necessarily Coven characters, although I wouldn't mind seeing Bates/Bassett/LuPone; for example, Dandy from Freak Show, or the doctor and/or priest from Asylum).

Btw, I wish Leslie Jordan could cameo this season. His Coven character is dead, but they could wave that away by saying the male witches asked Michael to bring him back (since he was killed by the female witches they apparently resent). I would say just have him appear as Cricket from Roanoke when Madison and Behold stop at a gas station or something, only he was just an actor for Cricket in Roanoke. /sigh For that matter, I'd like to see a mini Roanoke crossover with the Witch from that season (who Ryan Murphy was at the beginning of the coven in Coven or something from what I remember), although I don't know how they'd accomplish it. Perhaps if time travel magic is involved somehow, she goes back in time to consult with coven ancestors or something? *shrug* When they were doing the Seven Wonders test, they mentioned it had to be done at the Blood Moon. That's probably always been the case, but this is the first time I recognized the connection to Roanoke's Blood Moon. On top of other wants, I really wish Anjelica Huston had worked out for this season. For that matter, why didn't we get Nan back? I wouldn't mind Papa Legba showing up again either.

Yeah, I (and it seems like most people) think Mallory is probably the Supreme and the guy from the first episodes is the Alpha. The only thing I wonder is, well, how this season extends itself? Right now the only real plot to be dealt with is a battle between the witches and Michael. Investigating Michael will take one episode tops, then what? I imagine the leather suit ghost-thing from the first season is going to enter the plot some more; show more of how Michael enacted the apocalypse plus the time spell or whatever that allowed Cordelia to be at the bunker in the present. Sorry, I didn't finish MH when it was airing, and when I tried to watch it via Netflix a couple of years ago, I didn't go farther than 3-4 eps in then either.