DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
If they were all the films submitted, the number wouldn't be the same every year and it wouldn't always be so round. Also, I think it would be bigger.

You have a point there. The whole thing is a little peculiar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yes, the Academy does some odd things sometimes, but as some articles are pointing out, there are more films that are not on the list either like Deadpool 2 or Venom, and I think it would be strange that none of them were submitted for the award. From them, at least Deadpool 2 was campaigning the film in that category. So that's another reason why I think that list doesn't include all the submitted titles.

Quote:
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 20 films that are in contention for this year’s Best Visual Effects Oscar race, narrowing down the field. Those that didn’t make the cut include Sony Pictures’ Venom and 20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2, as well as Netflix’s Andy Serkis-directed Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle. But aside from these absences, there are no genuine “snubs” to be found.
Source: http://collider.com/oscars-visual-effec ... list-2018/

Quote:
Some VFX-rich box-office hits that didn’t make the cut include Pacific Rim Uprising, Rampage, Deadpool 2, The Meg and Venom.
Source: http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/12/acad ... ontenders/

Sotiris wrote:
I hope DreamWorks' 2D-animated short "Bird Karma" gets nominated this year. It would be an insensitive for the studio to keep making 2D shorts.

Unfortunately, the short wasn't nominated for the Annie. And, though it isn't in 2D, neither was Pixar's Bao. We'll see if they have more luck at the Oscars.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yep, every year, a committee selects 20 films for a long list, which is then whittled down to 10 and then, eventually, the final five nominees.

Mowgli not making the top 20 is particularly interesting, as Netflix specifically gave it a limited theatrical run to qualify the movie for visual effects recognition. So this must sting for both Netflix and Andy Serkis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:06 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

And Golden Globes noms are in!

Quote:
Best animated feature film

“Incredibles 2”

“Isle of Dogs”

“Mirai”

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... f560cf71ac

Not surprising: Slaughter Race didn't get in. Surprising: Neither did a Mary Poppins song. :o

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:45 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm very surprised Mirai got nominated. This makes it the first anime to be nominated in this category and the second one overall. Previously, only The Wind Rises was nominated in the Foreign Language category.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm 
Special Edition

I saw Mirai last night. I thought it was a welcome return to form for Hosoda after The Boy and the Beast, which I found disappointing. Surprised to learn that this is the first anime film to be nominated in the category. Perhaps GKIDS nabbing it this time helped... I feel like it would have been passed over if Funimation got it like the other ones.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
Yep, every year, a committee selects 20 films for a long list, which is then whittled down to 10 and then, eventually, the final five nominees.

Thanks for confirming that!

I was also surprised to see Mirai among the nominees given that the Hollywooh Foreign Press normally only chooses mainstream animated films, but I didn't know it was the first anime to achieve that.

ce1ticmoon wrote:
I saw Mirai last night. I thought it was a welcome return to form for Hosoda after The Boy and the Beast, which I found disappointing.

I watched the trailer the other day and it looked quite interesting. I also found The Boy and the Beast a bit disappointing, but I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Wolf Children from that director. I hope Mirai is more similar to these two movies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mirai is the third straight GKIDS release to get a Golden Globe nomination, following My Life as a Zucchini and The Breadwinner. They're a distributor that really knows how to make sure awards voters give their films a fighting chance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:49 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Unfortunately, the short wasn't nominated for the Annie. And, though it isn't in 2D, neither was Pixar's Bao. We'll see if they have more luck at the Oscars.

Evidently, there's a reason for that.

Here's The Reason The Annie Awards Nominated Only Independent Shorts This Year
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/here ... 67510.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^OK, that explains it. Anyway, I think it's something positive that they have started to be more open to international and independent productions. By the way, I didn't know people had to pay to submit a short for the awards. Seems a bit unfair. Well, at least they're now letting independent filmmakers to submit their shorts without charge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 am 
Platinum Edition

The nominations for the Detroit Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Smallfoot
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The nominations for the Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Chicago Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ruben Brandt: Collector

The nominations for the San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Critics' Choice Awards are out.

Best Animated Feature

The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:03 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^Wow, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is winning all the film critics' awards!

By the way, according to Variety, this year the list of eligible scores and songs won't be released by the Academy:

Quote:
Music for “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” “Green Book,” “Mandy” and “The Other Side of the Wind” has been disqualified for various reasons, Variety has learned.

More than 150 scores are in the running, although only the approximately 300 music-branch members have access to the list when they log onto the Academy website to cast their ballots. This year, unlike previous years, the Academy chose not to release the complete rundowns of qualified scores and songs.

An estimated 70 songs also qualified this year, but none of the most talked-about tunes were lost during the vetting process, sources said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:29 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
By the way, according to Variety, this year the list of eligible scores and songs won't be released by the Academy

I've heard about that. It also applies to the Animated Short category. It's a frustrating and unnecessary change. There's no valid reason why they can't release the initial list of submitted entries first and a shortlist later on like they already do for some categories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
I've heard about that. It also applies to the Animated Short category. It's a frustrating and unnecessary change. There's no valid reason why the can't release the initial list of submitted entries first and a shortlist later on like they already do for some categories.

Yes, it's a shame. I was interesting to see which titles were actually submitted and which ones weren't. Like when we discovered Disney finally only submitted one song from Moana instead of the two they were initially promoting for the award. Now we won't know all that interesting stuff.