Is Studio Ghibli integrated into Japanese culture?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Is Studio Ghibli integrated into Japanese culture?

Post by Neal »

In the U.S. Disney animation is everywhere. There are many interpretations of the characters. Thomas Kinkade Disney princess paintings. Disney ornaments at Hallmark. Mickey/Minnie Tshirts at many stores. Disney princess jewelry at Claire's. Cars bed linens. Disney gingerbread house kits at Christmas. The top four Disney franchises: princesses, fairies, pooh, and cars have been turned into a variety of merchandise options that can be found almost everywhere. There is Disney-inspired graffiti in public. There are Disney-styled school supplies. It seems that the characters of Disney animation are ingrained in our culture and there isn't a single child in the United States who does not know the name Disney and who has not seen at least one Disney animated film.

I am trying to gain perspective about just how prevalent Ghibli films and characters are throughout Japanese society. I often hear that Ghibli is the "Disney of Japan" and "Japanese children grow up with Ghibli" ... and I also have heard the release of new Ghibli films is nationally anticipated.

I am applying for a fellowship to go to Japan and write about environmental issues there (I am a journalism major)... the fellowship is called "Illuminating Today's Japan and Inspiring New Perspectives for American Audiences". Examples of lens through which the journalist fellows can explore Japanese environmentalism include business, trade, energy, culture, immigration and climate change.

I am seeking to cover environmental issues through a cultural lens. My idea is to discuss the positive environmental messages of Studio Ghibli films and how those contrast with American animated features. Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Pom Poko, and Mononoke all presenting environmentalist/conservationist messages as themes. While American animations are not really designed around such themes. I am sure this is directly tied to the Shinto religion, but I will need to research that aspect, as well.

Before I craft an essay, I want to talk to Americans who have toured Japan and confirm if the ubiquity of Ghibli in Japanese society is as widespread as I've been told. Do Ghibli films rise above the ranks of the rest of 'anime' ... because my understanding is that there are a lot of anime/manga fans looked down upon by society (otaku) for being too obsessed with visual media. Is there a difference between the typical Japanese animated film (say from Madhouse, or Studio 4 C, Gonzo, etc.) versus Studio Ghibli? Are Ghibli films more widely renowned and accepted? Is there licensed merchandise everywhere the same way there is merchandise everywhere here for Disney? Do artists interpret Ghibli films and find Ghibli to be a muse the same way artists here find Disney to be a muse?

I need to submit my application a week from today and unfortunately only just found out about the fellowship. So if anyone could be so kind as to share what they know about Ghibli culture/imagery in Japanese society, it would be so helpful!

Thank you, my friends! ^_^
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Re: Is Studio Ghibli integrated into Japanese culture?

Post by Neal »

I am really sorry to bump but I would really benefit from some help on these questions no later than this Sunday, January the 5th if I am to apply for this journalism fellowship! :wave:
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Neal, I can't help you, but is it possible to apply anyway and then cancel should you find out that this journalism fellowship is not quite right for you?

Whatever should happen, I love your enthusiasm for animation (both mainstream and obscure) and wish you the best of luck. :up:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Yes and no.

I'd say Doremon or Anpanman, anything by Tezuka Osamu, or even Shonan Jump in general is more so than Ghilibi.

The thing is though is that It's hard to make a Japanese comparison/equivalent to the US as their culture, influences and way of life/lifestyle is much different from ours.

But if you must need a comparison by strong merchandise, marketing, and pop culture embracing , I'd say Shonan Jump hits the right spot in that category. By pure "legacy wise" it would no doubt be Osamu Tezuka. I think the only reason people say Miyazaki is Japan's Disney is because of it's movie featured fluid animation, but if we're are to talk about the people he was they pure driving force of anime and manga, it's no doubt Osamu Tezuka. He would be the "Walt Disney" of Japan, as he help drive in a marketing and embracing culture of anime and manga to Japan. And many others follow suit to his example, the same way Walt did for American/western animation. With Miyazaki, he makes these movie through pure artistic preference/motivation. He's not a studio giant, as well know as he is, to the likes of Disney's comparison. While I have not been to Japan, I know people closely how have or grew up there and none really brought up any significant merchandise or marketing exposure akin to Disney's, This is why I would say something like Shonan Jump, is much more the equivalent of marketing giant and exposure that also been ingrained into Japanese culture. Majority of their titles are super well known and been referenced and such before through other Japanese media. Doremon is another one.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif