Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by unprincess »

I was expecting to hate it and...I liked it. :P Feels like an early 90s black comedy ala Adams Family, Death Becomes Her and golden age Tim Burton. Of course early Burton made you care and feel sympathetic for his messed up protagonists by making the surrounding characters even bigger jerks and a-holes than the main characters. I think that's what they'll be doing here too. Though I'm curious about how those two dalmatians fit into the story(will they actually be antagonists??? or maybe they're the actual protagonists of the story and they team up reluctantly with Cruella to defeat the big bad somehow?)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:Although worth pointing out Cruella started development before Joker was released, with Craig Gillespie being hired as director about a year before Joker opened, with filming starting in the summer of 2019. I'm sure Joker had some influence on the marketing, but how much it may have influenced the film itself remains to be seen, I think.
Exactly. According to Wikipedia, Cruella even started filming before Joker had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival, so unless they made changes to the story during shooting to copy elements from that film, I think the similarities between both films are just a coincidence. But, like you said, it could've influenced the marketing. Since Joker was so successful, maybe they want people to think it's a similar movie. Or just make them talk about the film, so more are aware of its existence. Many social media comments were from people comparing it to Joker or Harley Quinn. We'll see. It's true both films have several things in common (the protagonist being mentally ill is yet another similarity), but like I said, I doubt it was intentional.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Confirmation that Glenn Close had nothing to do with the film even though she's credited as an executive producer. I wonder if the earlier incarnation she was involved with preserved continuity with the 1996 film and was a proper prequel. I was surprised to learn Glenn is open to reprising her role. It makes me wish we got 103 Dalmatians instead of a Cruella film.
Close has a producing credit on the new Disney production, though she said she has “nothing to do with the movie as it is,” and only received credit due to her involvement with an earlier incarnation from screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna. “I always will love that character,” she said. “And maybe I can come back someday as her again, which I would love to do.”
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/hillb ... 234618663/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

This one of most anticipated movies of the year !! :D :D
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Confirmation that Glenn Close had nothing to do with the film even though she's credited as an executive producer. I wonder if the earlier incarnation she was involved with preserved continuity with the 1996 film and was a proper prequel. I was surprised to learn Glenn is open to reprising her role. It makes me wish we got 103 Dalmatians instead of a Cruella film.
Close has a producing credit on the new Disney production, though she said she has “nothing to do with the movie as it is,” and only received credit due to her involvement with an earlier incarnation from screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna. “I always will love that character,” she said. “And maybe I can come back someday as her again, which I would love to do.”
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/hillb ... 234618663/
That explains why she's still credited as an executive producer. Could that earlier incarnation have been a sequel or has the project always been a prequel?
Sotiris wrote:The Baroness is named Hellman? I guess they really wanted a name that matches de Vil.
Possible spoiler: Apart from that reason, I think they probably gave her that name to explain why Cruella's mansion is called Hell Hall.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Cruella Is Rated PG-13, Promising a Dark and Violent Reboot for Classic Disney Villain
https://movieweb.com/cruella-movie-rating-pg-13/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wanted to bring these over from the backup forum since it was posted while DVDizzy was down. I hope D82 won't mind. :)
D82 wrote:The new sneak peek has been released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpO4w3nb7zI]
D82 wrote:New stills. The caption from the second image reveals Andrew Leung plays a character called Jeffrey.

Source: MouseInfo.com
My own comment: I saw the trailer during the Grammy's. To be honest, against all odds, I was a little intrigued. It was a lot like Birds of Prey--much goofier than Joker. I think I'd be interested in seeing it at some point at least once, although definitely not in theaters.

Cruella: Why Fans On Twitter Are So Divided Over The Trailer
https://screenrant.com/disney-cruella-t ... s-divided/
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Of course I don't mind, Disney's Divinity. Thanks for posting it here! :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

“Black Widow” and “Cruella” will now premiere on Disney Plus at the same time they open in theaters. “Cruella” is arriving as scheduled on May 28, while “Black Widow” has been pushed back two months and will debut on July 9 instead of May 7. Both titles will be offered on Premier Access, which comes with a $30 rental fee.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/black- ... -theaters/
Disney putting Black Widow and Cruella on Disney+ signals the theatrical release model’s days are numbered for the world’s biggest blockbuster content provider.
When I read your post, I wasn't thinking about theaters, but the article above makes a good point. I'm happy paying the $30. Grocery store popcorn is a heck of a lot cheaper than the theater's, and so we end up saving $ with the Premier Access, not to mention the re-watchability for one price. What do you guys think about theaters' relationship with Disney now, or the future of cinema?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hadn’t seen this news when I posted in Luca’s thread. Tbh Cruella isn’t a must-see in the theater for me. I will probably wait two months when, I presume, it will available on Disney+ without Premiere Access.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The new trailer (which Disney calls 'sneak peek' for some reason) warmed me up to the project. It has become clearer what it's trying to be. It's not a story about the origins of a deranged individual, but that of a young aspiring fashion designer who gets screwed over by her mentor and decides to take revenge by sabotaging her while at the same time gaining attention by the press and building buzz and notoriety for herself. She'll be "naughty" and a rule-breaker, but she won't be doing anything truly sick or disturbing. This is not a Joker-type of movie. In a way, this feels like a brand-new story divorced from 101 Dalmatians. The connections seem superficial and ornamental and sometimes even forced. Like the one scene where the Baroness' dalmatians growl at Cruella that gets repeated in marketing materials. I agree with lord-of-sith that at times Emma Stone's performance feels like cosplay and her bad wigs certainly don't help in that regard, but at least Emma Thompson looks better than I initially thought she would. I will check the movie out eventually, but it's still not a priority for me. Like UmbrellaFish, I will wait until it becomes available for free on Disney+.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I have read that Gregor F. Narholz Will be the film’s composer.

Not a name i was familler with.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some updates:

• New image of Cruella:

Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/ ... 10534.html

• First look at the young version of the character, performed by Tipper Seifert-Cleveland:

Image Image
Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyLABR/status/1 ... 1513627653

The images come from an interview with the actress published on her school's website, which has since been deleted. I read it when it was still available and the girl revealed a major spoiler in it: she said that Emma Thompson plays her mother in the film. I was surprised by that because it contradicts some details that had been revealed before, doesn't it? But if she says it, I guess it must be true.

• According to the latest issue of Total Film Magazine, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, who appears briefly in the teaser trailer (image below), plays Anita in the movie and not Emily Beecham, as we previously thought.

Here are photos of the article:

https://twitter.com/callmerauulx/status ... 3422853120
https://twitter.com/emilyjstone6/status ... 7077025795
https://twitter.com/gabmisseno/status/1 ... 4364691468
https://twitter.com/gabmisseno/status/1 ... 7279410176

• And you can read an excerpt from the tie-in novel Hello, Cruel Heart here: https://nerdist.com/article/cruella-dis ... n-johnson/

By the way, I found most of these news on Disney Live-Actions Brasil and I saw that the person/people who run that Twitter account credited this forum and me in particular when they posted a synopsis from a Russian book I had found. It's the first time I saw someone do that and I thought it was a nice gesture, so I wanted to thank them for that. I don't have Twitter, so at first I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but maybe they'll see it here.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:First look at the young version of the character, performed by Tipper Seifert-Cleveland
I didn't know Cruella's black and white hair was supposed to be her natural hair. I just assumed she dyed it like that to go with her new punk persona. This movie being grounded in reality and not having any fantastic elements in it makes this choice not very believable. I get that they wanted her to look different as a child, and possibly make her more sympathetic by showing she was bullied because of her hair, but it doesn't quite work for me.
D82 wrote:The images come from an interview with the actress published on her school's website, which has since been deleted. I read it when it was still available and the girl revealed a major spoiler in it: she said that Emma Thompson plays her mother in the film. I was surprised by that because it contradicts some details that had been revealed before, doesn't it? But if she says it, I guess it must be true.
That's some "Once Upon a Time"-level of twist! :lol: It's kind of ridiculous, if it turns out to be true. Though I do have to admit, it does make the story more interesting in a soap-y kind of way. Judging by their interactions in the trailers, it seems neither of them is aware they're related, so it's going to be a surprise for both of them when this is revealed later in the film. Unless, of course, only one of them ever finds out. I'm curious how this will play out.
D82 wrote:According to the latest issue of Total Film Magazine, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, who appears briefly in the teaser trailer (image below), plays Anita in the movie and not Emily Beecham, as we previously thought.
This is conclusive evidence the movie is not a prequel to the 1996 film, but a standalone reimagining. Not only Anita's race has been changed, but her occupation and how she and Cruella met.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Gosh, Emma Stone looks great in her Cruella make-up. I'm so excited for this one :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Emma Thompson's character is called The Baroness, right? Wasn't Cruella's mother a Baroness on OUAT? I looked it up and it's a no. Child Cruella looks even more silly than child Maleficent.

Anita was red-haired in the animated film, now played by a Black actress. So that makes Ariel, Peter Pan, Anita, and Hercules. They must have instituted some BTS pre-requisite for filling-in all the red-haired characters with POC--and, no, I'm not being hyperbolic. It seems like a trend in film outside Disney, too, to replace all red-haired characters. Question: did film studios treat red or ginger hair like some kind of minority in the past and that's why those characters are the ones being substituted en masse now? :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Emma Thompson's character is called The Baroness, right?
Her full name is Baroness von Hellman.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Question: did film studios treat red or ginger hair like some kind of minority in the past and that's why those characters are the ones being substituted en masse now?
Well, natural redheads are usually considered to be of Irish descent. The Irish were often portrayed as redheads in American media of old (see: Little Orphan Annie) who were a minority and were heavily discriminated against in the 1800s and the early 20th century. I'm not sure though if studios are purposefully targeting redheaded characters to race-switch now. It could be just a coincidence.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Emma Stone's Cruella shows off her new look in these exclusive images
https://www.gamesradar.com/cruella-excl ... mma-stone/

Emma Stone talks Cruella: "It’s very different from Joker in many ways"
https://www.gamesradar.com/emma-stone-t ... many-ways/

Sotiris wrote:Magazine covers.
Thanks for posting! I think I prefer those photos of Emma Stone as Cruella to the ones used for the teaser posters.