Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:No news (Most likely this August, we'll get something), but look what I found while I was reading that foolish article from LATimes that was saying that Tangled was the last fairytale:
"Films and genres do run a course," said Pixar Animation Studios chief Ed Catmull, who along with director John Lasseter oversees Disney Animation. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it … but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up." Indeed, Catmull and Lasseter killed two other fairy tale movies that had been in development, "The Snow Queen" and "Jack and the Beanstalk."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/21 ... d-20101121
Interesting that this was the only official confirmation we have in this movie. Also, it's weird that the next day this was released, Disney took it on Facebook to call the article "100% false". I wonder if this was pre-written and they were just waiting to see if Tanged failed to make this article public.
This August is D23 in Anaheim. And WDAS is gonna wanna show off the future of their studio. So that's when we should get new info and pics on Zootopia, Moana & and Giants. And didn't Lasseter accidentally announce Giants last October in South Korea while promoting BH6? March 2018. If true then Giants & HttyD 3 will be out the same year.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Interesting that this was the only official confirmation we have in this movie.

I'm not sure if that was even the same movie. That version was to be directed by Chris Buck.
disneyprincess11 wrote:Also, it's weird that the next day this was released, Disney took it on Facebook to call the article "100% false". I wonder if this was pre-written and they were just waiting to see if Tanged failed to make this article public.
Before Tangled's success, the plan was indeed to stop producing more movies based on fairy tales because fairy tales weren't considered commercial in the aftermath of TPatF's under-performance. But when the article got published, there was a huge backlash and controversy over this and so Catmull retracted and blamed the article for misinterpreting his words. At least, that's my understanding of what happened.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Interesting that this was the only official confirmation we have in this movie.

I'm not sure if that was even the same movie. That version was to be directed by Chris Buck.
My guess is that after Frozen & J&TB were revived, they gave Chris Buck "Frozen" & Nathan Greno "Giants", so they can write different stories for them.
Sotiris wrote:Before Tangled's success, the plan was indeed to stop producing more movies based on fairy tales because fairy tales weren't considered commercial in the aftermath of TPatF's under-performance. But when the article got published, there was a huge backlash and controversy over this and so Catmull retracted and blamed the article for misinterpreting his words. At least, that's my understanding of what happened.
Thought that was the plan! Plus, I revisited the statement and it was:
A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull
It never said that the projects were fairytales, so it was Catmull, sweeting up the quote. What fools for them to cancel the future of fairytales after only one failed! :roll: They surely now are thankful that they changed their minds :P :wink: Too bad that 2D animation never got its second chance. Oh well.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm guessing this is an error on part of the article but it says that Greno and Howard are both directing Giants.
Greno and Howard are working on their next film, which he says is an original story, not an adaptation of a classic tale. The title is “Giants,” with a release set for sometime in 2018. The story is loosely based on the fairy tale “Jack and the Beanstalk.” We take it with a title like that, it’s a big project — though Greno couldn’t say more about it.
Source: http://www.kenoshanews.com/entertainmen ... 30218.html

In related news, in an article about Lorelay Bove and Brittney Lee it says that "both are set for larger roles on Disney’s still-secret 2018 feature."
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Ummmm.....if it is loosely based on Jack & the Beanstalk, then it is an adaption of a classic tale?

But, yay for something! Great that Greno can finally start to talk about it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Ummmm.....if it is loosely based on Jack & the Beanstalk, then it is an adaption of a classic tale?
Well, yeah. They're just doing the same lip service they did with Frozen: "Oh, no! It's not an adaptation of The Snow Queen, it's only loosely inspired!". :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wish they'd just stop with their shaming nonsense. It would be like M&C acting embarrassed to be making a film based on "The Little Mermaid" or Walt Disney pretending "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was more of a boy's film, really, since "Dwarfs," Snow White isn't a big part, etc. I don't even want to know why Disney's become this immature.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Not sure that Greno can talk yet about the next movie he will direct... Weird...
And of course, this article is not very good and doesn't look "official", not to mention that of course Howard is directing Zootopia, not Greno's...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Really good thing that they didn’t announced Giants because that would have swallowed by Frozen 2. I think that's clearly the reason why it wasn't announced. Guess we're waiting for the Expo then. :zzz:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Paul Briggs is working on Giants!
[UPDATE] As for Briggs’ different film, he followed up to say there’s something else he’s on full-time that has yet to be announced.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/geekspeak/ ... zen-world/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Paul Briggs is working on Giants!
Well, the article doesn't mention Giants so it could be a different film in development we don't know about. But if it is indeed Giants it means that Dean Wellins is working on it too, possibly as a co-director.
Paul Briggs wrote:Actually, I’m very lucky to be working on a film with Dean Wellins right now who not only worked on The Iron Giant but is insanely talented too.
Source: http://pbcbstudios.tumblr.com/post/1125 ... d-to-be-on
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Nope.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Prince Kido wrote:Nope.
Just to clarify, are you saying that Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins are not working on Giants? Are they working on a new project we haven't heard about?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants/Beanstalk?

Prince Kido or Brendan Connely, your service is needed!
EXCLUSIVE: Disney is acquiring Beanstalk, a revisionist take on the Jack and the Beanstalk tale that is based on a detailed outline by Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul creator Vince Gilligan. Gilligan has tapped Thomas Schnauz–who has won two Emmys writing for both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul–to write the script. Gilligan will eye it as a possible directing vehicle, but it’s very early days on the project. Gilligan and Mark Johnson will produce. The most recent crack at the fable was the Bryan Singer-directed Jack The Giant Slayer, a pretty good movie that unfortunately cost about what it grossed globally.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/breaking-ba ... 201414639/
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Fix the link, good buddy!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah, they have this and also a new version of Big Friendly Giant with Spielberg. I have a feeling they canned Giants, b/c the other 2 giant projects are less risky.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

unprincess wrote:yeah, they have this and also a new version of Big Friendly Giant with Spielberg. I have a feeling they canned Giants, b/c the other 2 giant projects are less risky.

Chris Buck hinted Giants yesterday at a convection.

EDIT:
OH right he also said that when he originally pitched Frozen to John Lasseter he pitched 3 other ideas at the same time (he said that John asks everyone to suggest more than one idea because if you’re only focused on developing one idea to pitch then you have a much more personal attachment to it which will be more upsetting if it gets rejected)
one of them was for a movie set in the Amazon that was rejected for feeling too similar to Madagascar
he couldn’t say anything about the other two because one of them is actually in production right now, John liked it so much that he put it into production as well but under a different director so Chris could work on Frozen
I’m ASSUMING the one that is in production is Giants, because Byron Howard was the one who pitched Zootopia, and Ron Clements & John Musker pitched Moana in 2011 after Mort was cancelled

http://kristoffbjorgman.tumblr.com/post ... originally
I doubt they would cancelled the animated musical/a general Disney movie. Having FOUR Giant theme films (ITW) is really weird though. This has to be the script of Giants and a new co-director with Disney making Deadline sugar coat the article
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Brendan Connelly has cleared the truth, but with a twist:
@brendonconnelly They are separate projects, but don't assume both will make it all the way through development.
I asked him what he meant and:
@brendonconnelly At least 18 months from actual animation production, I understand. A long way to go yet.
So, that explains why this hasn't been announced yet. The timeline sounds accurate though
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:He couldn't say anything about the other two because one of them is actually in production right now, John liked it so much that he put it into production as well but under a different director so Chris could work on Frozen.
That's not what happened according to Blue Sky Disney. They rejected Buck's "Jack and the Beanstalk" pitch long before he went back to work on Frozen because of similarities with "Jack the Giant Killer" which was already in production at Warner Bros.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mike Gabriel who's working as a production designer on Giants confirmed that the movie is going to be a musical and will be released in 2018.
Mike Gabriel wrote:I am gratefully production designing Nathan Greno's next film.
Source: https://twitter.com/tikitango/status/418493186399432704
Mike Gabriel wrote:I'm working on one now that's coming out in 2018. It's going to be good. It's going to be special. It's a fairy tale, it's going to be a musical, and to know I'm still in that game, doing these stuff is too good to be true.
Source: http://www.dizradio.com/disneyblus-disn ... mpany-lor/