The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Stage

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Broadway

Post by PatrickvD »

This is really the only one that has any business being turned into a live action remake. It would be glorious. I've been listening to the musical's soundtrack and it really is fantastic. The new songs are great and the reprises of familiar tunes hit all the right beats. Menken's magnum opus as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt Disney would go there though. It would take balls and they have none.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, I SO agree PatrickvD. But I wonder if enough people loved it, or if it made enough money elsewhere, or if the right people were in charge, or Disney finally did get their balls back...someday, it could be made. Someday...when they are wiser, when the world's older, when they have learned... I bet it could be a great contender for Best Picture.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm glad the musical is coming to more countries. Hope the story gets more love!
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:I couldn't be happier that it's coming to Broadway at last... But, I can't help but feel, as a major fan of the original film and one of its steadfast defenders, that they're kind of letting us down by distancing themselves from the film so much. Like, "Oh, THAT piece of shit? The one you guys have loved and stood by all these years? Well, we're going to go in a DRASTIC direction from THAT." I don't know. I just wish they'd STAND UP for their original vision, instead of trying to cater to the Hugo purists, who are going to hate this regardless of what they do (which is ironic, considering that Victor Hugo HIMSELF adapted Hunchback into an opera that made even bigger changes to the source material than DISNEY'S did. Not only did Esmeralda live in the opera 'La Esmeralda,' but Frollo did as well. And Phoebus, who SURVIVES in the book, dies. It's WAY more drastic than anything Disney did, but ssh, don't tell the book's fans...)

In short, I hated nearly every character in that damned book. I like the Disney version BECAUSE it's the Disney version and not an exact replica of the book. We all ready HAVE the damned book. If you want that version of the story, READ IT! It's there. So, why not stay truer to the spirit of the animated film? This is all speculation, of course, based upon what I've read of the changes that have been made. Some of them (explicitly making Frollo a former priest), I'm TOTALLY down with. But, cutting the Gargoyles? Changing Clopin so radically? Killing Esmeralda? I can't say these are making me anything other than anxious. :huh:
Hey there, ProfessorRatigan. I'm writing a blog entry about the stage adaptation of this movie. Just wondering, could I use your words in my entry?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ciara Renée sings Someday/God Help the Outcasts during The Broadway Princess Party at Feinstein's/54 Below.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad she hasn't completely left the role behind yet. I loved her performance and especially how similar she sounded to Disney's Esmeralda.
ImageImage
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:I couldn't be happier that it's coming to Broadway at last... But, I can't help but feel, as a major fan of the original film and one of its steadfast defenders, that they're kind of letting us down by distancing themselves from the film so much. Like, "Oh, THAT piece of shit? The one you guys have loved and stood by all these years? Well, we're going to go in a DRASTIC direction from THAT." I don't know. I just wish they'd STAND UP for their original vision, instead of trying to cater to the Hugo purists, who are going to hate this regardless of what they do (which is ironic, considering that Victor Hugo HIMSELF adapted Hunchback into an opera that made even bigger changes to the source material than DISNEY'S did. Not only did Esmeralda live in the opera 'La Esmeralda,' but Frollo did as well. And Phoebus, who SURVIVES in the book, dies. It's WAY more drastic than anything Disney did, but ssh, don't tell the book's fans...)

In short, I hated nearly every character in that damned book. I like the Disney version BECAUSE it's the Disney version and not an exact replica of the book. We all ready HAVE the damned book. If you want that version of the story, READ IT! It's there. So, why not stay truer to the spirit of the animated film? This is all speculation, of course, based upon what I've read of the changes that have been made. Some of them (explicitly making Frollo a former priest), I'm TOTALLY down with. But, cutting the Gargoyles? Changing Clopin so radically? Killing Esmeralda? I can't say these are making me anything other than anxious. :huh:
Hey there, ProfessorRatigan. I'm writing a blog entry about the stage adaptation of this movie. Just wondering, could I use your words in my entry?
Oh, wow. Sorry, I JUST saw this! Yes, you may! But I have to say: this post was written QUITE some time ago (well before the soundtrack to the stage-show was released). I have since actually gotten to listen to it and, while I think it has SOME minor issues, I couldn't be more happy with how Hunchback was handled for the stage. My anxieties were overblown, but, Hunchback, the original Disney film, means more to me than I can put into words (though that hasn't stopped me from typing endlessly about it, as many forum members here will surely attest! :lol: ).
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:Oh, wow. Sorry, I JUST saw this! Yes, you may! But I have to say: this post was written QUITE some time ago (well before the soundtrack to the stage-show was released). I have since actually gotten to listen to it and, while I think it has SOME minor issues, I couldn't be more happy with how Hunchback was handled for the stage. My anxieties were overblown, but, Hunchback, the original Disney film, means more to me than I can put into words (though that hasn't stopped me from typing endlessly about it, as many forum members here will surely attest! :lol: ).
It's okay, you have a life after all. But I can give you the link to my entry, if you want to read it and I could change it;
http://mydisneyanalysis.blogspot.no/201 ... ck-of.html
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:Oh, wow. Sorry, I JUST saw this! Yes, you may! But I have to say: this post was written QUITE some time ago (well before the soundtrack to the stage-show was released). I have since actually gotten to listen to it and, while I think it has SOME minor issues, I couldn't be more happy with how Hunchback was handled for the stage. My anxieties were overblown, but, Hunchback, the original Disney film, means more to me than I can put into words (though that hasn't stopped me from typing endlessly about it, as many forum members here will surely attest! :lol: ).
It's okay, you have a life after all. But I can give you the link to my entry, if you want to read it and I could change it;
http://mydisneyanalysis.blogspot.no/201 ... ck-of.html
"Of course I'm not the first who've ranted about that Disney's changes should've been enhanced in the LaJolla version rather than Hugo's elements. One of Hunchback's most devoted and passionate fans/defenders, ProfessorRatigan, cited his/hers wishes of that Disney should rather support and stick up for their animated feature rather than shoehorning Hugo's elements in (despite that he's cited that he's content with the new stage version)"

Look, mom, I'm internet-famous! rotfl

Great write-up. Thanks for the shout-out!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:Look, mom, I'm internet-famous! rotfl
I know, right? Thanks to me ;)
Great write-up. Thanks for the shout-out!
Thanks and you're welcome. I was afraid that I was misrepresenting you.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm glad she (Ciara Renee) hasn't completely left the role behind yet. I loved her performance and especially how similar she sounded to Disney's Esmeralda.
Me too. Ciara is extremely warm and likable and made a good interpretation of Esmeralda.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Stage

Michael Arden sings "Out There" on GMA.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/V ... E-20190510
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Stage

Post by Disney Duster »

Ooooh thanks. He is such an incredible perfomer.