Studio Ghibli Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Oh wow, this is completely fail...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-The-Cat- ... 4170a0f604

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but The Cat Returns was never released in a box that looks like that. That's what the bootleg I was sent looks like... a re-created cover (it was even embossed!) that looks like the 2010 series.

The sad thing is I'm sure some of these sellers aren't aware they're fake and are just selling them anyway.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

This is the image shown on amazon

This is the link to the on Amazon which is about $23

Although the slipcover is differ and maybe that part is fake, It's hard to imagine someone would take the time to make a fake movie of The Cat Returns but while I am surprised, I don't doubt it
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

You'd be surprised.

Bootlegs of Disney movies are more common than most because of the Vaulting stuff and the fact that Disney hardly ever has sales on their overpriced movies.

But just to confirm, there was no legit release with the blue and yellow artwork, right?

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Savages (Uncensored)
L&P on the Scales

Post by L&P on the Scales »

I'm pretty certain that the Ghibli line are not subject to the Vault, due to the fact that Disney just redistributes them internationally and didn't actually make them. Also there's the fact that anime in general is pretty expensive.

Still doesn't look like an official cover I've ever seen before, and I've seen quite a few variations.
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

I think it's official. Perhaps Disney has begun quietly repacking the studio ghibli films with slipcovers like those that came with Ponyo and the re-issues Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro? Not sure why they are doing this now after not expressing interesting in distributing Up On Poppy Hill

Howl's Moving Castle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Howls-Moving-Ca ... 1e772b6972
Last edited by JustOneBite87 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Can you find one that isn't a bootleg?

The ones I've gotten still say "2005 release' on the back, and they're obviously fake because they're a single layer and not encrypted.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

drfsupercenter wrote:Can you find one that isn't a bootleg?

The ones I've gotten still say "2005 release' on the back, and they're obviously fake because they're a single layer and not encrypted.
You've purchased these editions?
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Yes.

Not by choice, but I've gotten them from some eBay sellers who listed them under the red-cover only to send me fakes.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

Here is what we will be getting to accompany "From Up on Poppy Hill"'s Blu-ray review (both out on May 21st, 2013:

Howl's Moving Castle

My Neighbor Totoro
Need your daily fix of Disney articles and reviews? Head on over to Animation Admiration for countdowns, reviews, impressions, and articles on Disney, Anime, and everything in between!
http://www.animationadmiration.blogspot.com
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Awesome, I call dibs on Howl's Moving Castle Blu-Ray! It was the first Ghibli movie I saw and probably my favorite still.

But meh Totoro, that's already on BD in Japan, and I would assume that the Disney BD doesn't have the original (better) dub.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

All I can say is thank god they are continuing with the same Ghibli Collection banner. Super excited for Howl's.. now just give me Spirited Away and I'll shut up for a while.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Personally I liked the red design better (even though I like blue better as a color)

I know, shoot me now.

Also, in case anyone was thinking of doing the same - my copy of My Neighbors The Yamadas that I got from DMR did have the paper chapter insert but did NOT have a slipcover like it should.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

drfsupercenter wrote:
Also, in case anyone was thinking of doing the same - my copy of My Neighbors The Yamadas that I got from DMR did have the paper chapter insert but did NOT have a slipcover like it should.
Not bad though for the price of nothing (well technically you pay money for the movies to get the points but you get the idea)

drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Oh I agree, but someone who's trying to get the full sets (with slipcovers) like me would benefit from knowing they aren't including the slipcovers.

On that topic, would anyone sell me theirs? :lol:

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Alright, so I just got my Porco Rosso DVD that I ordered on eBay.

It's the legit red box - but this proves that the re-releases are identical to first pressings, as while it says "2005 Release" on the back, it was in one of those awful eco-boxes that didn't exist back then, and it had a DMR code worth 100 points.

And it shows up as:
Porco Rosso DVD::DMR
Because it has DMR points, there was no chapter insert (I noticed this with other re-releases too)... but still had the slipcover.

So, firstly does anybody not mind parting with their Porco Rosso chapter insert?

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Thank you Disney for continuing to release the whole Ghibli catalog on Blu-Ray! :D I promise to purchase these first day!
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Hey guys, I made this video, let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCpbwbfItA

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

drfsupercenter wrote:Hey guys, I made this video, let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCpbwbfItA
It's very informative. It still boggles my mind why someone would go to the trouble of making a fake Studio Ghibli film since they aren't that hard to come by with titles like The Cat Returns.

Recently I bought The Little Mermaid off ebay for my sister and the slipcover is most likely fake though the discs look real to me though it's darker than the authentic one I know I have.

It plays fine and since it's just for my sister and she just wants to watch the movie and is not a dvd geek like me it will work for now. However I did leave the guy neutral feedback on ebay saying I didn't want to return it but it's fine.

drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

It's not so much just the Ghibli films but they make fakes of all the Disney DVDs just because of the vault policy. You can find them at places like Amazon, but that's really only due to them having a huge overstock... as far as I know, most of the 2005 series aren't being made anymore (or if they are, they're very hard to come by and not at stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc.)

And in the case of The Little Mermaid, since that one IS in the vault, it would make sense that there are loads of bootlegs going around. The first time I ran into that was buying a 2002 Snow White DVD from eBay.

Personally I wish they didn't do the whole "vault" thing at all but that's obviously nothing I can change :roll:

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

drfsupercenter wrote:It's not so much just the Ghibli films but they make fakes of all the Disney DVDs just because of the vault policy. You can find them at places like Amazon, but that's really only due to them having a huge overstock... as far as I know, most of the 2005 series aren't being made anymore (or if they are, they're very hard to come by and not at stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc.)

And in the case of The Little Mermaid, since that one IS in the vault, it would make sense that there are loads of bootlegs going around. The first time I ran into that was buying a 2002 Snow White DVD from eBay.

Personally I wish they didn't do the whole "vault" thing at all but that's obviously nothing I can change :roll:
In case you were wondering there really is a vault. Here's proof:

The Door to one of the Vaults

A guide holding The Snow White film reel located in the Vault.

I hear so many times that people think it's a gimmick but it does indeed exist.

Anyway I wonder who will release that Poppy Hill movie.

I was reading this fan fiction of sequel to Spirited Away which is a fun read. Here's the link

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3261432/1/S ... irit-World