2-3 Star Wars films every YEAR...

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: 2-3 Star Wars films every YEAR...

Post by Sotiris »

None of what they said was offensive. Twitter overreacts with everything. They are far from the only ones who were given a break with little prior experience (nowadays directors with minor TV work get their own tentpoles) and they wanted less fantasy elements on the show because perceptions about the fantasy genre back then weren't what they are today (partially thanks to GoT). They didn't want audience's pre-conceived notions about the genre affect the reach of the show. That's understandable.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It wasn't "offensive" but it showed they had no respect to the dource they were adapting, they still talk about fantasy as if it's garbage and didn't utilize it in later seasons after the show's success and after their thought about fantasy is proved to be wrong (the success of Marvel and Star Wars contradicts their thoughts about what general audience thinks about fantasy), they didn't bother to understand the characters, they didn't bother to understand the themes of the books, which were more than just "power". They just confirmed to everyone that they are entitled dudebros who wanted to make content for dudebros. The problems of GoT existed way before season 8.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

farerb is absolutely right in everything. D and D were just your typical college frat dudebros who dismissed for years nerd media only to tackle it in an adaptation without understanding the themes and the characters beyond just blood and boobs. The fantasy elements played a vital element in the books and will lead to a big climax in the end, and they disregarded all that to deliver such an unsatisfying ending that completely contradicts everything Martin has stated in his work. Due to their arrogant thoughts and lazy ending they ruined the fantasy genre for the mainstream audiences.

Also, stop defending their break into television. They got inside due to nepotism, simple as that.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I find it offensive when they belittle a genre (their trademark genre I might add) and brag on and on about how not only were they not qualified at all in the first place to get the show but that was exactly what they pitched. Not exactly a glowing recommendation for future work. That's not even factoring in their strange political ideas about a Confederacy show in today's climate or the fact that they left the cast of GoT to receive all the backlash while they themselves disappeared from off the radar.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Oh, my goodness! :lol: I've never watched Game of Thrones (and now I'm glad I haven't) so I don't have a horse in this race. I didn't know they got in the industry due to nepotism though that's not uncommon in Hollywood. I was merely trying to convey that what they said might have upset disgruntled fans of the show but couldn't have cost them their Star Wars gig as it wasn't offensive, at least not by industry standards, which was the question at hand.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Good riddance to the GoT "writers." They're better at re-working other people's work than creating their own.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/ ... 203388611/
Looks like Disney/Lucasfilm had already parted ways with them as early as this summer. The films they were interested in making were about the origin of the Jedi. I hope we can see Rian Johnson explore that era for his trilogy since TLJ heavily focused on Ahch-To, the world where the Jedi originated.
ImageImage
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

Is Star Wars really going to be that profitable after episode 9? I find it hard to believe that people are going to care much about spinoffs and non-SkyWalker films.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Rogue One was a massive hit that was largely devoid of Skywalkers. They seem to be catering for that Rogue One audience who prefer their Star Wars itty and gritty with the Disney+ shows like The Mandalorian and Cassian Andor.

The three year gap or so between Star Wars films after TROS will probably also help make audiences hunger for a new film, whether it's Kevin Feige's film or Rian Johnson's. A big star like Brie Larson (as hinted by Kevin Feige) will definitely pull audiences in as well.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A new report about why Benioff and Weiss left Star Wars.

Divided Attention and Toxic Fandom: Why the 'Game of Thrones' Duo Bailed on 'Star Wars'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... uo-1250798
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Rogue One was a massive hit that was largely devoid of Skywalkers. They seem to be catering for that Rogue One audience who prefer their Star Wars itty and gritty with the Disney+ shows like The Mandalorian and Cassian Andor.

The three year gap or so between Star Wars films after TROS will probably also help make audiences hunger for a new film, whether it's Kevin Feige's film or Rian Johnson's. A big star like Brie Larson (as hinted by Kevin Feige) will definitely pull audiences in as well.
Rogue One was released when there was still a SW high after TFA (released ten years after Episode 3). The Solo movie didn't do as well.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

willard wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Rogue One was a massive hit that was largely devoid of Skywalkers. They seem to be catering for that Rogue One audience who prefer their Star Wars itty and gritty with the Disney+ shows like The Mandalorian and Cassian Andor.

Rogue One was released when there was still a SW high after TFA (released ten years after Episode 3). The Solo movie didn't do as well.
Solo is a film that most fans were never interested in or wanted to see. Half the issue was that Harrison Ford was so strongly associated with the role and audiences didn't want to see a Han Solo who wasn't played by Harrison. All the news of a troubled production, reshoots, and an acting coach being hired made people even more reluctant to watch the film.

Then there's the movie's release date. It was shoehorned in with major releases during the summer (many of them Disney's own films) like Infinity War, Incredibles 2, and Deadpool 2, all because Bob Iger didn't want Solo to overshadow Mary Poppins Returns in December. Kathleen Kennedy pushed and pushed for Solo to be released in December like all the previous Disney Star Wars films but Iger refused and throwing Solo under the bus wasn't even worth it considering how MPR turned out. He admits now that this was a major mistake. The May release date also came with lackluster marketing and promotion that started just right before the film's release so that most people weren't even aware that the film was out.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

SW theatrical films going on hiatus after Ep 9:
http://www.fandom.com/curated/fandom-on-twitter-2662
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The films will go on hiatus but Disney+ will keep the franchise around with the various shows like The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Cassian Andor, etc. I'm sure after TROS is out, we'll hear more possible projects for characters like Finn and Poe. Plus, there was that rumored Qi'ra or Crimson Dawn series that would act as a spiritual sequel to Solo, not to mention Lando's own show.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The next theatrical Star Wars film is slated for December 2022. I think it's a mistake Disney's making so many SW TV series. There's a danger the franchise losing its luster. As much as TV has gained status and prestige in the last decade, it's still considered lesser than features. I think they were too quick to axe all their theatrical spin-offs. Just because one underperformed, doesn't mean the rest of them would. You don't just abandon your strategy after a single failure.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:The next theatrical Star Wars film is slated for December 2022. I think it's a mistake Disney's making so many SW TV series. There's a danger the franchise losing its luster. As much as TV has gained status and prestige in the last decade, it's still considered lesser than features. I think they were too quick to axe all their theatrical spin-offs. Just because one underperformed, doesn't mean the rest of them would. You don't just abandon your strategy after a single failure.
I agree, Rogue One was a huge hit and a fan favorite. Solo had a lot of factors going against it so I wish Disney/Lucasfilm would have made more of an effort to continue with the spinoff stories.

As for TV shows, I think they're staggering those releases out. They have a lot of rumored or planned projects, but I think we're only getting one show per year. The Mandalorian this year, Obi-Wan Kenobi in 2020, and Cassian Andor in 2021. So they don't seem to be going the Marvel route with multiple TV shows a year.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:The next theatrical Star Wars film is slated for December 2022
It still is?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:It still is?
According to their release schedule which was last updated on October 25th, yes.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wonder what film that could be since Rian Johnson still hasn't started working on his films, the Game of Thrones guys are out, and Kevin Feige might not have even begun working on his film yet.
ImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

https://youtu.be/Np2QVNni-gA So, um... I just came across this.