Disney Buys Lucasfilm

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyDude2010 wrote:Do you think they will close the animation part as it's only produced a few small things?
I don't think so. Lucasfilm Animation has only been working so far on the Clone Wars property but they are currently working on a new project unrelated to Star Wars. Brenda Chapman is working as a consultant on that project.
Ahh, so thats why she backpedaled on bad mouthing Disney/pixar, she knew this acquisition was around the corner and had to sugar coat things because she would still be working for Disney.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I think this is going too far. Disney surprised me (and surely everyone else) by acquiring Marvel, but LucasFilm?! I dread what they would do to the Star Wars films if they acquire the company, unless Mr. Lucas forbids it of course (like he forbids releasing the original films in proper widescreen).

What other companies or things can Disney acquire?

McDonalds, Sony, Microsoft, NBA, Nintendo, Viacom,
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:Ahh, so thats why she backpedaled on bad mouthing Disney/pixar, she knew this acquisition was around the corner and had to sugar coat things because she would still be working for Disney.
I don't think she knew about the acquisition. This deal has been very hush-hush and only the top ranks would have known. She didn't bad-mouth Pixar because that's unprofessional and would give her a bad reputation within the industry.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Already a topic for this.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I just read a tweet from Lee Unkrich saying he was blind sighted on this as well, so yeah I guess she wouldn't have known either. I don't know how something like this can be kept from people that high up.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I think this is going too far. Disney surprised me (and surely everyone else) by acquiring Marvel, but LucasFilm?! I dread what they would do to the Star Wars films if they acquire the company, unless Mr. Lucas forbids it of course (like he forbids releasing the original films in proper widescreen).

Nintendo has one of the few characters that rivals Mikey Mouse level of popularity, that is Mario, also they have been compared one to the other frequently and nintendo is having now a bad time, they have to switch to a new platform and is one of the few things that they will lose money shipping consoles, that is their sense of losing the edge, so, yes I totally see that happening.

That way they will become something like Apple, but in the entertainment industry, they will own and produce in house pretty much everything, tv shows, theme parks, movies, videogames, video consoles......
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Wait, did everyone really not see this coming? I think it was fairly obvious that it was only a matter of time. Star Wars has become more and more a part of Disney Parks. Not surprised at all.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

What about 20th Century Fox? I guess they snoozed and lose. All they can depend now is James Cameron's, "Avatar," trilogy.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

SWillie! wrote:Wait, did everyone really not see this coming? I think it was fairly obvious that it was only a matter of time. Star Wars has become more and more a part of Disney Parks. Not surprised at all.
I think it is. I always expected more Star Wars at the theme parks, not for Disney to buy the franchise outright along with the rest of Lucasfilm.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I think this is going too far. Disney surprised me (and surely everyone else) by acquiring Marvel, but LucasFilm?! I dread what they would do to the Star Wars films if they acquire the company, unless Mr. Lucas forbids it of course (like he forbids releasing the original films in proper widescreen).
George doesn't seem to be forbiding anything, he's allowing them to move forward with sequels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7l ... e=youtu.be

One good thing I think that could come out of this is unaltered original trology on blu ray.
tweeb² wrote:

Nintendo has one of the few characters that rivals Mikey Mouse level of popularity, that is Mario, also they have been compared one to the other frequently and Nintendo is having now a bad time, they have to switch to a new platform and is one of the few things that they will lose money shipping consoles, that is their sense of losing the edge, so, yes I totally see that happening.

That way they will become something like Apple, but in the entertainment industry, they will own and produce in house pretty much everything, tv shows, theme parks, movies, videogames, video consoles......
Sony is doing much worse than Nintendo. Yes, its true they'll be Selling a console at a loss for the first time, but they spent the entire last gen lining their pockets with the cheap to produce Wii. Sony on the other hand has been bleeding money since they put out the ps3.
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09 ... e-of-sony/

Nintendo is too proud to ever allow themselves to be acquired by Disney or anyone else.
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:One good thing I think that could come out of this is unaltered original trilogy on Blu ray.
Don't bet on that. George Lucas will still have a position as a creative consultant. Also, it's not clear yet whether Fox will retain the rights to the existing Star Wars films.
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Really, Disney?! I love you, but can you stop buying everything?! I mean, first you bought The Muppets, then Marvel, and now LucasFilms (Makes sense with the Star Wars stuff in the Parks)?!

It’s like Disney is running out of ideas, so they’re buying companies to make movies out of them. Come on, put your head back in the game.

And they wonder why they can’t afford anything….

BTW: It has to be posted: Does this mean that Leia is now a Disney Princess? :P :P :P :P
THey wont buy Time Warner you happy?
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Already a topic for this.
Mine was here first. >_>
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Semaj wrote:This is fucking sick.

Disney already owns too much stuff.
Warner Bros too :roll:
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

I guess reyquila will now buy everything Lucasfilm
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Regarding Indiana Jones:
Bob Iger wrote:There are very little encumbrance to make and distribute films going forward and exploit characters on multiple platforms. There are some encumbrances with Indiana Jones and that is from Paramount. We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise. It doesn't factor into the equation with this acquisition. There are far fewer encumbrances from when we bought Marvel.
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/30/ ... tv-series/

Regarding LucasArts and video games:
Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/30/35777 ... l-includes
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

I could picture John Williams writing music for Disney's "Star Wars," now that they've purchased Lucasfilm (NO longer Fox's, "Star Wars," anymore). Of course, his VERY FIRST composition for Disney is, "Nixon," directed by Oliver Stone and distributed by Hollywood Pictures, Disney's substantial company for mature audiences after Touchstone. Looks like Hollywood Pictures became a dump, but at least Disney's got DreamWorks under Touchstone (except Fox gets DreamWorks Animation).
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Last edited by Tristy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

Even though I think George Lucas has great imagination, I always saw him as a better business man than artist, the thing that solidified my position was the documentary about ILM. In that documentary was pretty clear for me that Episodes I, II, III, where made to show off new technology for the new milleniun that they could sell to film directors and film companies in the first place.

Also it was a great way to afford the risk of developing all the new technology, remember that he made the risky choice to switch to all digital back when it was quite expensive, but he knew that the merchandise sales would compensate everything, even before the movies hit theatres worldwide.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I don't honestly know if this is good or bad news ... but all I hope is that Disney itself doesnt get squashed and lost in the haste of buying and owning all these other companies. I mean, it has already started in Disney Stores, with Marvel taking up pretty much half the space of the shop.