DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Best 1950s Disney movie?
Cinderella 75%  75%  [ 33 ]
Alice In Wonderland 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Peter Pan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lady and the Tramp 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Sleeping Beauty 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 pm 
Limited Edition

What the Hell, Laz! You know better than to make personal attacks against another forum member. Never in my life have I read such graphic hatred on this forum. I will not tolerate such childishness from any member here, take your personal differences to email, it doesn't belong on this forum. I will not be warning you again.

For those of you who are confused by this post, I removed the personal attack and the follow up posts from this thread. It is not something I like doing, but in this case it was necessary.

*A side note- the polls are not a working option on the forum at this time, it is one of the site glitches occurring on the site.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:21 pm 
Limited Edition

1. Cinderella
2. Lady and the Tramp
3. Sleeping Beauty
4. Peter Pan
5. Alice in Wonderland

Ranking aside, I love them all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 am 
Gold Collection

1. Lady and the Tramp.
2. Alice in Wonderland.
3. Cinderella.
4. Peter Pan.

Lady and the Tramp and Alice in Wonderland are some of my favorite Disney movies, so of course they rank at the top. I also do enjoy Cinderella, so it gets 3, and Peter Pan is at the bottom because I find most of the characters to be unlikable. Sleeping Beauty isn't on my list because I've only seen it once, and that was years ago so I don't remember enough of it to judge how I like it in comparison to the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 am 
Platinum Edition

1. Alice in Wonderland
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. Peter Pan
4. Lady and the Tramp
5. Cinderella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

Definitely not my Disney era… The only two I have any real affection for are Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp. Sleeping Beauty is pretty but dull, and I don’t care for Alice or Peter Pan much at all (except for maybe a few of the characters here and there).

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:27 am 
Limited Edition

1. Cinderella
2. Alice in Wonderland
3. Peter Pan
4. Lady and The Tramp
5. Sleeping Beauty

Sorry I don't really like Sleeping Beauty much at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mine is Sleeping Beauty. An unique and artistic film with lots of good music and great animation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:44 pm 
Gold Collection

I'm going for Lady and the Tramp as it had been one of my favourites as a kid and He's A Tramp makes me think of Kiss The Girl in The Little Mermaid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

My ranking:

01. Sleeping Beauty
02. Cinderella
03. Peter Pan
04. Lady and the Tramp
05. Alice in Wonderland
06. Music Land

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

Is it just me or is this poll rigged lol? Not that I mind Cinderella winning but it's really bizarre that it has pretty much all the votes and the other choices have little to none.

Anyway I pretty much love this whole era except for one film which is probably one of Walt's worst imo. My top 3 are easily in my top 10 Disney films and almost on an equal scale. Lady and the Tramp is my favorite Disney animal film.

1) Sleeping Beauty
2) Cinderella
3) Alice in Wonderland
4) Lady and the Tramp

5) Peter Pan

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

1. Cinderella
2. Lady and the Tramp
3. Sleeping Beauty ~ Maleficent is great, although a touch overrated. I love Merryweather and Fauna makes me laugh. And of course the film is gorgeous to look at. That's all.
4. Alice in Wonderland ~ I love Alice and the Cheshire Cat. The music is fun and of course the Queen of Hearts is the best segment. Still, I rarely watch this because I find it a little boring.
5. Peter Pan ~ I do like Wendy, Nana, Smee, Tik Tok, the Darling parents, and Hook. Tinker Bell is entertaining in her way as well, although I don't like the character, overall. I'm just not that fond of the film. I hate the mermaids, the Native Americans, Peter Pan and his group; even Wendy's brothers are annoying. I always found Alice and PP very similar in that both feature a British girl going to a fantasy world where everyone are jerks to them. :lol: :lol:

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
My ranking:

01. Sleeping Beauty
02. Cinderella
03. Peter Pan
04. Lady and the Tramp
05. Alice in Wonderland

Same.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 am 
Platinum Edition

1. Cinderella - my favorite movie! All the beauty, the magic, the designs, the characters!
2. Sleeping Beauty - such a beautfiul movie, and such great designs! And what a cute prince!
3. Peter Pan - I love the magic in this movie! Pixie Dust! I like Tinker Bell 'cause she's a pixie and she eventually redeems herself, and Peter is pretty cute.
4. Alice in Wonderland - I love Alice's character! And the art is great!
5. Lady and the Tramp - I'm not big on animal movies and the most I like about this film is the backgrounds, animation, and how Tramp wants to run away and Lady totally should have with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:34 am 
Limited Edition

Sleeping Beauty is my choice. It has an amazing design, the animation is gorgeus, the music works perfectly, Maleficent is just Maleficent, Phillipe is the first prince with a personality, it´s the ultimate fairy tale, Aurora is the first princess that starts to show personality and as weak as her role is just because of the movie she´s in makes her the best Disney princess. the fairies are fun and funny.

Other thoughts:

-Cinderella is very good (most of it because the story itself is relatable to most people) but... the backgrounds are dull and as fun as the mice and Lucifer scenes are they are just filler.

-Alice in Wonderland I always like. To me it´s the only one of the Disney movies that doesn´t reflect it´s time. Feels timeless. Just a fun movie to enjoy.

-Peter Pan is similar to Alice in terms of fun yet I can never fully relate to it. Of course Hook is awesome and I do like Peter Pan and Tink but that´s it. I do like the whole opening of the movie I find it very enjoyable.

-Lady and the Tramp. I´ve come to the decision that it´s one of the Classics I like least and I always dread whenever I have to watch it. It´s sooooo slow and boring.

For instance, I also fear whenever I have to watch Fantasia. It takes me for a while to start liking the movie yet after a while I get along and once it ends I´m glad I watched it. But that not the case of Lady and the Tramp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:46 am 
Limited Edition

I love Lady and the Tramp, it's Disney's take on the romantic comedies of the 50's but with dogs instead of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm 
Limited Edition

1- Lady and the Tramp
2- Sleeping Beauty
3- Peter Pan
4- Cinderella
5- Alice in Wonderland

#'s 3 and 4 change around fairly regularly. I could see the top two also switch depending on my mood.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:49 pm 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
I love Lady and the Tramp, it's Disney's take on the romantic comedies of the 50's but with dogs instead of people.

And I like how they take many human elements that wouldn't be appropriate in a Disney film but manage to get them under the radar in a dog film. Like how the dogs attack Lady because she's ovulating and they sense she's in heat. And how Lady gets pregnant from her night with Tramp which is why Jock and Trusty propose marriage to her to save her honor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I've tried to rank all the Disney classics several times, but I never finish doing it mainly because I find it very hard to compare films from different eras. However, I've just realized that ranking films from the same decade is much easier for me. This particular decade, though, hasn't been that easy. My favorite is by far Cinderella, and I know my second favorite is Sleeping Beauty, but the other three are pretty much tied on my list. I've finally ranked them as follows, but if I forgot about the order and I ranked them again, I could very well end up with a completely different order.

1. Cinderella
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. Lady and the Tramp
4. Peter Pan
5. Alice in Wonderland

I'll bump the threads devoted to the other decades to share my rankings of them too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:34 am 
Platinum Edition

DC Fan wrote:
Sleeping Beauty is my choice. It has an amazing design, the animation is gorgeus, the music works perfectly, Maleficent is just Maleficent, Phillipe is the first prince with a personality, it´s the ultimate fairy tale, Aurora is the first princess that starts to show personality and as weak as her role is just because of the movie she´s in makes her the best Disney princess. the fairies are fun and funny.

Other thoughts:

-Cinderella is very good (most of it because the story itself is relatable to most people) but... the backgrounds are dull and as fun as the mice and Lucifer scenes are they are just filler.

I'm sorry but WHAT?! Cinderella shows way more personality than Aurora! She flicks a bird for waking her up, she yells at the clock for making her start her chores, she rescues mice, she gets mad at the cat and commands him to do stuff and says, "There must be something good about him" and calls him, "Your Majesty" jokingly, she threatens to beat him with a broom for messing up her work, she makes a joke at her stepsisters' music lesson, she pushes her stepfamily to let her go to the ball, she cuts off her stepmother before she's a bitch about how she can't go, she tries to tell herself a ball would be boring and then faces that it would be wonderful, and she squints her eyes to be ready for her fairy godmother's magic! Aurora just doesn't want to be treated like a child, says she "fooled" her aunts and is playful with the animals, and plans to run away with a stranger but then doesn't pursue that because she thinks she has no choice!

And yes, a lot of the backgrounds of Cinderella are dull, but the architecture and vegetation is amazingly deisgned and the scenes at the ball are absolutely beautiful!

Good on you, D82!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
DC Fan wrote:

Other thoughts:

I'm sorry but WHAT?! Cinderella shows way more personality than Aurora! She flicks a bird for waking her up, she yells at the clock for making her start her chores, she rescues mice, she gets mad at the cat and commands him to do stuff and says, "There must be something good about him" and calls him, "Your Majesty" jokingly, she threatens to beat him with a broom for messing up her work, she makes a joke at her stepsisters' music lesson, she pushes her stepfamily to let her go to the ball, she cuts off her stepmother before she's a bitch about how she can't go, she tries to tell herself a ball would be boring and then faces that it would be wonderful, and she squints her eyes to be ready for her fairy godmother's magic! Aurora just doesn't want to be treated like a child, says she "fooled" her aunts and is playful with the animals, and plans to run away with a stranger but then doesn't pursue that because she thinks she has no choice!

And yes, a lot of the backgrounds of Cinderella are dull, but the architecture and vegetation is amazingly deisgned and the scenes at the ball are absolutely beautiful!

I missed DC Fan's post saying that he thinks Aurora is the first princess with a personality otherwise I would have totally said everything Duster just said. I'm in shock anyone believes this because Aurora is usually the princess that everyone, even classic fans, agree on unanimously as being a bit of a blank slate or tabula rasa. Meanwhile, even some really progressive women who aren't into the princesses but have seen the films will admit that Cinderella was the best princess of the classic three and the only one with a personality and some spunk to match.

You should read this blog post to see why Cinderella isn't as lacking as you believe her to beDC Fan.
https://thegreatdisneymovieride.home.bl ... ella-1950/

And yes, I agree that while the backgrounds of Cinderella may not match Sleeping Beauty, the ballroom scenes are spectacularly designed and it really does feel like an homage to Versailles then. There is also a beauty in the simplicity of the backgrounds imo that suits Cinderella's character.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next