Jodi Benson Homophobic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Skellington or Sparrow wrote: But.. can't you see the problem in hating her and other Christians for "disliking a group of people?" You're disliking a group of people all over again. Just food for thought. Ending hate has to start somewhere.
True, but it's hard to take the high road with people who are always going to be tearing you down--not just personally, but politically, on the job, in the education system, etc. So, personally, I completely understand why so many gays go the Perez Hilton route and lambast these people.

And, honestly, somebody needs to do it otherwise they'll just walk around and think it's okay to treat people that way. Nothing gets done if you just lay down and take it.
Neal wrote:Oh and how can Ariel be homophobic? Who couldn't love Disney's gayest character, Benjamin the Manatee?
My point exactly. :lol: In the original movie itself, she challenges prejudice so I don't believe she would be homophobic in any way, shape or form. But if you take the series, sequels, etc. into account, she might as well wear a rainbow flag. :lol:

But, also, I tend to think the best of Disney characters--it is an escape fantasy--so I never think any of them would be that way (though with Ariel there's at least more proof). If only the real world was that pure.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:Choosing to be Christian is almost the same as choosing to act on being gay. You feel something inside you, you feel it's right and true, so you join that group.
Er... no, it's not. Acting on being gay is something that comes from your biological/natural 'settings': you are either gay or you aren't, and to act upon it is not a choice, but a result from the way you were 'wired' from inception. Now, being a Christian is a different thing altogether. You're not born a Christian, you're not 'set' to be one. You don't "feel it inside you" all by yourself until you're being told by somebody else: a parent, a teacher, a friend, the media etc. Had you been born in Pakistan, you would've been a Muslim. Not because you "felt Allah inside of you", but because you were taight that way.
Disney Duster wrote:I wouldn't call it choosing to be Christian when you believe it's the only right, true thing. When you really believe something you believe it is fact even though it's not proven.
You mean, like Disney Essence? :lol:
Disney Duster wrote:You know, sometimes I think Jodi has to come around and not see homsexuality as a sin, but then I realize that would be making her change her beliefs when she's not hurting anyone with it and it seems wrong to say she has to change like we need to hold her down and force her.
I think we need to. I think ignorance should be combatted with all possible means. Religious ignorance is holding humanity back.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Well this is sad to hear /= I had a feeling because she is so religious but she worked so closely with Howard Ashman I figured maybe she wasn't against gay marriage. Guess I was wrong. I think it's funny how some "Christians" promte love and peace and then turn around and blast gay people saying the Bible says it's a sin. Well the Bible also says not to eat crawfish and cut your hair but alot of people do that. I believe and God and Jesus but I take what's in the Bible with a grain of salt. It was written by humans who put their own prejudices in there. I am not saying Jodi is like that nor all Christians but there are plenty of them out there who are pretty crazy.

I still like her but I truly wonder if she knows how important the Little Mermaid and Ariel are to so many gays out there. Just another reason for me to love Ursula more than Ariel I guess :D
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Makes me wonder if she really is nice to gay people. If she's a homophobe, then why would she be nice to Poody, let alone work with a gay like Howard Ashman? She even sang at his memorial service. :?
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

DisneyJedi wrote:Makes me wonder if she really is nice to gay people. If she's a homophobe, then why would she be nice to Poody, let alone work with a gay like Howard Ashman? She even sang at his memorial service. :?

I think she probably is nice to gay people and treats them with respect. But she doesn't support what they do. As long as she isn't standing on the street corner with a sign saying "GAYS BURN IN HELL" and all that jazz she's ok in my book.

I find it funny how these ultra Christians forget that Jesus had two dad's :P
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I always did like Ursula more than Ariel...not because I disliked Ariel but Ursula was more awesome. However, Pat Carrol is very Catholic I heard so, who knows about her now either?!

WE SHOULD STILL LOVE JODI AND ARIEL AND FORGIVE HER FOR MAYBE A WRONG BELIEF LIKE JODI SEEMS TO FORGIVE US, RIGHT? She disapproves of what she thinks is a sin, but still loves the people who she thinks are sinning.
Goliath wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Choosing to be Christian is almost the same as choosing to act on being gay. You feel something inside you, you feel it's right and true, so you join that group.
Er... no, it's not. Acting on being gay is something that comes from your biological/natural 'settings': you are either gay or you aren't, and to act upon it is not a choice, but a result from the way you were 'wired' from inception. Now, being a Christian is a different thing altogether. You're not born a Christian, you're not 'set' to be one. You don't "feel it inside you" all by yourself until you're being told by somebody else: a parent, a teacher, a friend, the media etc. Had you been born in Pakistan, you would've been a Muslim. Not because you "felt Allah inside of you", but because you were taught that way.
Ah, not quite. First, love itself is not something biological. Love is not physical. It transcends all that. Some would say it comes from the soul. Just like love of, or belief in, God. I will never believe in the "wired" way of looking at humans and their desires. It's not good to think just biology and experiences are at work, there's also a will, or a soul, you know. So maybe in Pakistan I would be suppressed and taught God is something I don't quite think he is here and now, but my soul may just believe other things than I am taught, just like no one in my family likes Disney like me, I never had an experience with anyone who liked Disney like me before I became the fan I did at like 5, and yet, my soul did like Disney that much at 5, and ended up being the avid member of this site I am today! And by the way, your reasoning actually would go for gays, too. Gay people do rely partially on the experiences of knowing that other people have been with the same sex, or that the same sex ever could like them back, otherwise they'd be in the dark about what the heck they were feeling. And since I believe I feel both gay love and God's love inside of me, I'd say both are part of my soul, not a choice, just perhaps a choice to listen to and go with either my sexuality, God, or both.
Goliath wrote:You mean, like Disney Essence? :lol:
I predicted you'd say something like that. I guess the closest thing I can say is the feelings we get from anything are hardly ever choices. Though later we can and may change how we feel, though not things like homosexuality and sometimes not even certain beliefs of ours, mister, but this discussion is not for this thread!
Goliath wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:You know, sometimes I think Jodi has to come around and not see homsexuality as a sin, but then I realize that would be making her change her beliefs when she's not hurting anyone with it and it seems wrong to say she has to change like we need to hold her down and force her.
I think we need to. I think ignorance should be combatted with all possible means.
Well, if by "we need to" you mean we need to show her that being gay is not a choice and is okay without holding her down, then I agree. :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

For once, I agree with Duster. We should love no matter what.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote:For once, I agree with Duster. We should love no matter what.
Even pedophiles??
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^Ever thought that we might be more twisted than them? they're only pedo because we say so.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

Couple of observations...

As long as you aren't using your private parts to interact with children or animals, I say GO FOR IT! That doesn't mean I want to hear about what you do or don't do, but I think that's where my line of decency is.

Intercourse, child birth, pooping, peeing....not necessarily the cleanest of activities, I wonder why it is only singled out as "disgusting" when it's between two people of the same gender?

Secondly, Jodi has the large pupils of someone who has been brainwashed in a cult, so it would make sense that she has some nutty religiousity.

Thirdly...I can't say I'm gay, some of my best friends are gay, etc...
Nevertheless, I look forward to the day where I don't have to hear about "gay issues", "women's issues", "african-american issues", and we just hear about "human race issues".
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Why is Jodi forgiving us? We have not done wrong.

Love itself is not biological but being GAY IS. Goliath has done such a good job explaining, I do not know how Duster still is not getting it. Christians do not have genes that make them want to be Christians, but gays (like straights) have genes that make them fall in love with certain people.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote:^Ever thought that we might be more twisted than them? they're only pedo because we say so.
I can't see myself more twisted than someone who tries to lust/fuck little kids.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Well, I don't think we should ever hate someone for who they truly fall in love with.

However, if someone is not in love but rather in it for the sexual gratification, then we cannot excuse that.

So for me - gays, bis, straights and pansexuals (it's different than being bi) fall in love with their peers (people of similar or acceptable age) and they are born into having those feelings.

Pedophiles - some may truly fall in love with a child somehow - say they work as a janitor or teacher and get to know a child. I think there is a possibility that 'pedophilia' could be an offshoot of sexuality, like being gay or bi - because someone may desire to love someone their own age, but they are only romantically attracted to children. It's a touchy subject (no pun intended) - and as someone who knows/believes homosexuality and bisexuality are not a choice, who am I to say "pedophilia" is. Although it is inappropriate my societal standards, they could wait until it was not illegal such as Mary Kay Letourneau did. However, if it is purely lust and not love and the pedophile rapes or brainwashes a child for sex - there is no excuse.

Like, someone f*****g an animal for the pleasure of it is wrong.

Sexuality is so interesting - have you ever heard that people fall in love with objects? Do you think they choose or desire for that life? Some people fall in love with certain buildings or things like cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Are we sure any of this is true? As judge Judy would say "that's all here say". I think that girl is adorable. Now I want to see that movie she was talking about.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

I am pretty sure I deleted my post; sorry if you meant to quote it Neal. Didn't really mean to (I was looking to edit, and its late, and I'm stupid) Bassicly, I do agree with you neal. But who is to say that somebody having sex with whatever just for the pleasure of it is wrong? Itcertainly is wrong in my view, but again, who are we to say something is wrong in the fabricated society we built from ourselves? Is something wrong just because the majority says so? What if the majority is wrong and twisted? I know it is impossible to do anything about these things, but should we really shun/punish/consider evil anybody because they have a different set of morals that our society views as uncivilized (well, I guess technically it is uncivilized, but what if civilization is "twisted")? In my experience, I chose to act on something in my life that many people think is wrong, gross, and unnatural, but I know it will greatly increase my happiness for the rest of my life. And so we have different views, but that shouldn't mean we should not like each other. Love Everybody is what I say, though I may be just a hippie.

And on Jodi (trying to replicate lost post..), thankfully, the ariel I know is from the TV series, who obviously accepts everybody. A nice example of this is shown in a post on the first page, with a song from that show. However, I do respect Jodi for her beleifs, but just wish she realized how badly it would hurt a super fan like that to say something bad about how she chooses to live her life (yes, choosing to act on being gay, I know it is not a choice..).
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Um, I think you posted and deleted before I ever posted - so I wasn't in response to you above.

Anyways, I do not believe in ever doing something to a living object that it cannot/did not consent for.

So bestiality for one, or rape.

I realize my post indicated that friends with benefits/sex with prostitutes was something I'm against, which I'm not.

We are animals first, humans second. Craving sexual gratification is hardwired into our DNA. So I'm not against sex buddies or paying someone for sex.

I am against sex with a living being that does not want it or cannot say no. (children, animals, etc.)

I hold similar beliefs for such things as drugs. I do not agree with those who get their pets high by blowing smoke into the pets' faces. Or someone who offers you a joint and has laced the tobacco or marijuana with harder drugs but didn't tell you - things like that. Putting a creature or person in a compromising situation they did not consent to is in my view one of the greatest evils you can commit.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Neal wrote:Um, I think you posted and deleted before I ever posted - so I wasn't in response to you above.

Anyways, I do not believe in ever doing something to a living object that it cannot/did not consent for.

So bestiality for one, or rape.

I realize my post indicated that friends with benefits/sex with prostitutes was something I'm against, which I'm not.

We are animals first, humans second. Craving sexual gratification is hardwired into our DNA. So I'm not against sex buddies or paying someone for sex.

I am against sex with a living being that does not want it or cannot say no. (children, animals, etc.)

I hold similar beliefs for such things as drugs. I do not agree with those who get their pets high by blowing smoke into the pets' faces. Or someone who offers you a joint and has laced the tobacco or marijuana with harder drugs but didn't tell you - things like that. Putting a creature or person in a compromising situation they did not consent to is in my view one of the greatest evils you can commit.
Okay, then it was funny, because you seemed to address to everything I said in my original post, which was posted about five min. before you posted that. And I agree with everything you just said. I don't believe in hurting others, like you said. But that doesn't mean I don't like somebody who does, because I will never know what is truly right and wrong. Now, IMO, there are some cases where things seem just silly, like getting pets high. That seems ridiculous to me (I never heard of that before, and it sounds terrible) but even still, I don't hold myself high enough to dictate right and wrong, because nobody really knows. Yes, I will be upset when somebody does something that seems terrible to me, like rape. The most I can do is follow my own morals and beliefs for myself, to keep myself happy. That said, I will still voice my opinion when people do things that I don't agree with it, just so they know all the sides and consequences to what they are doing.

Thats all I am saying on the subject, because it becomes complicated, and honestly, I would rather talk/ read things about Disney and DVDs on this site, though I understand the place of controversial topics on this forum.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

My BlackBerry buzzed and said there had been a response but I finished my post and it was gone. Enough about that.

Well, it's a bit dramatic on my part to call it 'one of the greatest evils you could commit' - but both rape and the forcing of drugs upon others can and has caused irreparable damage.

I have a friend who is a pot smoker and was told a bowl he was being handed was weed, but it was salvia. He smoked it and began to hallucinate, he was watching a movie and a laser was shown towards the camera. He said he felt it went through the TV and cut him in half. He looked down and saw half his body still sitting in the chair, the other half on the floor bleeding.

He never asked for such a horrific image, it was forced upon him.

And i know many stoners will get their cats/dogs high. Who knows if it doesn't cause the dog issues like heart rate increase or confusion?

I do not judge these people, I just feel immensely sad for their victims.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Then is seems we have a pretty similar view on the topic. I will admit I feel extremely bad for the victims, probably worse than I should. For example, that story you just told about your friend gave me chills, and not in the good way. But, like you, I won't judge just because I know people just have different morals and ideas, whether they be "wrong" or not, who is to decide? I just know a lot of people do judge, and unfairly consider these people terrible beings.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

We only know what is in our own minds.

We cannot ever know the minds of others.

We should not judge thieves, murderers, drug users, rapists, those who commit suicide, bullies - for while their acts may seem cruel, destructive, vile, sinful - who knows why they did it?

For pleasure? For an easy out? It may seem so superficially, but beneath the surface much more is at stake - they may be at war with their own mind and emotions, and their acts are just a result of this.

That is why I do not crucify those whose actions seem deplorable. Internally I weep for them.