Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Moana

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ That is beautiful. I don't understand or know ASL but I want them to make more of these- it's a new way for those who are deaf to experience Disney, especially the songs. Such a great idea!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Is anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in "How Far I'll Go"? It goes "I've been staring at the edge of the water, long as I can remember" when it should be "I've been staring at the edge of the water, as long as I can remember".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in "How Far I'll Go"? It goes "I've been staring at the edge of the water, long as I can remember" when it should be "I've been staring at the edge of the water, as long as I can remember".
Never noticed it. Personally I was more bothered by the overuse of the word "island".
I think grammatical errors are common in songs so the lyrics could flow with the music. Just now in Frozen we got a song that has "all that I can to do". I am also reminded of Saving Mr Banks, where Travers says that it should be "Let's go and fly a kite".
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The difference is the Moana and Mary Poppins examples are examples of how people actually talk.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in "How Far I'll Go"? It goes "I've been staring at the edge of the water, long as I can remember" when it should be "I've been staring at the edge of the water, as long as I can remember".
Never noticed it. Personally I was more bothered by the overuse of the word "island".
I think grammatical errors are common in songs so the lyrics could flow with the music. Just now in Frozen we got a song that has "all that I can to do". I am also reminded of Saving Mr Banks, where Travers says that it should be "Let's go and fly a kite".
I think she also complained in the movie that it would be "let us go" rather than "let's go."
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:The difference is the Moana and Mary Poppins examples are examples of how people actually talk.
I've never heard anyone say "long as I can remember." The phrase "for as long as" is simply shortened to "as long as" in colloquial speech.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I just remembered from Mulan: "Help me not to make a fool of me" instead of "Help me not to make a fool of myself".
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:The difference is the Moana and Mary Poppins examples are examples of how people actually talk.
I've never heard anyone say "long as I can remember." The phrase "for as long as" is simply shortened to "as long as" in colloquial speech.
Oh, I have heard a few people in my lifetime say something and end it with "long as I can remember."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's not common though. If you Google it, you'll be pressed to find a single result for that. Most results are "for as long as I can remember" and less frequently "as long as I can remember". There always need to be two "as", one in the beginning and one in the end because that's the way the equative construction is formed (e.g. as big as, as much as, as tall as, etc.) LMM used to be an English teacher; he should have known better.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Artistic license doesn't shield a work of art from criticism.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:It's not common though. If you Google it, you'll be pressed to find a single result for that. Most results are "for as long as I can remember" and less frequently "as long as I can remember". There always need to be two "as", one in the beginning and one in the end because that's the way the equative construction is formed (e.g. as big as, as much as, as tall as, etc.) LMM used to be an English teacher; he should have known better.
I agree, I've only ever heard it as "for as long as I can remember" or at least "as long as I can remember." Had no idea that LMM used to be an English teacher lol.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(I can't be the only one that can't read the name "Moana," like when I see there's a new post in this thread, without hearing [in my head] Chief Tui sing "Mo-a-na" {make way, make way}, right?! :lol:)

If my husband or I mention the movie/character, at least I have to sing it...I don't think he does every time...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I stumbled upon this old article that hasn't been posted here before while searching for something else. I find the Pixar Brain Trust giving notes to Musker & Clements ridiculous and insulting. Their movies are better than anything Pixar has ever produced. The Pixacity (Pixar + audacity) of it all! :headshake:
Q: You said you brought Moana up to Pixar. What sort of notes did they give?

Ron Clements: A few notes. They said they loved the ocean character.

John Musker: They said do more with the ocean and the tattoo, because they were so unique to the film. We had less of that in the movie, so we put more of that in. One of the other big notes was, when the ocean picked her as a toddler, they felt like she should do something for the ocean to pick her. So that whole thing with her helping the turtle to shore, that came out of that Pixar screening. That idea came up there, so that got developed there.
Source: https://www.mandatory.com/culture/11677 ... rney-moana
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Pixacity :lol:

I actually like that Moana protects the turtle at the beginning. I'm sure Lasseter and co. interfered with the film even more than we'll ever know (and in many ways not for the better, to me at least). That's their thing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

So it was the brain trust's suggestion to anthropomorphize the ocean and make the tattoos alive (making inanimate objects alive is another of Lasseter's trademarks)? Well, I must confess I did like Mini Maui's tap dancing during the musical number.

I remember reading an article or inside interview where some anonymous Disney employees were pretty angry after the Pixar acquisition because of how they felt the Pixar traditions were forced on them, as if they didn't have any traditions or heritage of their own. It ended with "Lasseter and Catmull were not open for comments". I have tried hard to find it again, but it seems to have disappeared completely from the net.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:So it was the brain trust's suggestion to anthropomorphize the ocean and make the tattoos alive (making inanimate objects alive is another of Lasseter's trademarks)? Well, I must confess I did like Mini Maui's tap dancing during the musical number.
The Ocean is basically Carpet 2.0.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

At least with this film we won't be able to be grossly incorrect because no one likes it here.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I like it. I don't love it but I like it. I'm sure plenty of other people here like it too. Some of Musker and Clements' storytelling sensibilities were able to shine through despite Lasseter's dirty fingerprints on the film. Tangled, Frozen, and Moana are my favorites from WDAS' CG movies (it may not mean much when the bar's so low but it's something).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I really like it too. It's my third favorite from the revival (my first two are Tangled and Zootopia). It's true that it has Lasseter's influence, and maybe Musker and Clements couldn't do everything they wanted (like making it in 2D), but I can clearly see their style too in every aspect of the movie (storytelling, characters, character design, etc). Also, the movie will always be special to me because I was going through a bit of a tough time in my life when it was released and the message of the movie is exactly what I needed back then (especially the "I Am Moana" scene).