DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Obscure Animated Films
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 12961
I was wondering, which are your favourite obscure animated fims? Any ones you would recommend?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2646
The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones
Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night
Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose
Rockin' with Judy Jetson
Babar: The Movie
Rock-a-Doodle
I Yabba-Dabba Do!
Doug's 1st Movie

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:16 am 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Pennsylvania
The Secret of Kells. Was absolutely fantastic

_________________
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:24 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2941
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Lucky Luke: Daisy Town
Lucky Luke: The Ballad of the Daltons
(The two Disney distributed english dubbed versions of: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4f75295bc5 )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:02 am
Posts: 1597
Location: the balcony of the Bijou...
Heidi's Song.

Absolutely brilliant score (how many animated films have an actual Overture?!), and a clever expansion of the original "Heidi" story. Quite surprising that it's yet to surface on DVD.

_________________
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:10 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:34 pm
Posts: 4813
Location: The Netherlands
An all time favorite has to be Le Roi et l'oiseau

It's gorgeously animated and a tad weird. Like a french Miyazaki film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 5613
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Allegro Non Troppo (1976) is one of best animated films when it comes to satirizing Walt Disney. In this film, from France, the director thinks he has come up with a unique idea, 'why not put classical music to animation'. When he is informed that someone in the US named "Prisney" has already done it, the director scoffs that he can do it better.

If you can find this film, you owe it yourself to watch it. It is only 85 minutes long and the animation and live action sequences are amazing.

Don't forget the name "Allegro Non Troppo". This is highly recommended.

_________________
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1119
The Thief and the Cobbler, and no, not the crappy Miramax version. It's obscure because the way that Richard Williams did was a total trip-fest. But, yeah, I highly recommend you see it. Especially the Recobbled cut.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:17 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 4645
Location: UK
dvdjunkie wrote:
Allegro Non Troppo (1976) is one of best animated films when it comes to satirizing Walt Disney. In this film, from Italy, the director thinks he has come up with a unique idea, 'why not put classical music to animation'.


Fixed. ;)

_________________
-Joe

Blog | Deviantart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3746
Location: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
Mad Monster Party, but I would only recommend that to those who really adore Rankin/Bass stuff and could put up with the 90 minutes of campy silliness.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:07 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:36 pm
Posts: 1700
Not all of these are necessarily my "favorites", but they might be considered obscure, and someone else may discover a new favorite.

The Dog of Flanders anime (the uncut version, not the US butchered version.)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304072/

Uproar in Heaven, early Chinese animation based on the classical novel Journey to the West (like many other things, including Dragon Ball.) There is a fan restoration available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havoc_in_Heaven

Princess Iron Fan (I haven't seen this, but it is another early Chinese work, from the same studio that did Uproar in Heaven.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_I ... (1941_film)

Panda Go Panda - two early OVAs from Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli (or before Ghibli, but still.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda!_Go,_Panda!

Meet the Feebles - assuming you count puppetry as animation. I kind of do, since you don't actually see actors on screen, but rather the results of a team of people bringing a character to life. Be warned, Meet the Feebles is NOT for kiddies!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Feebles

Persepolis - an auto-biographical story of a young girl growing up in Iran. The graphic novel was amazing, although I haven't seen the film yet myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis_(film)

Watership Down - a dark story with rabbits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watership_Down_(film)

Robot Carnival - hard to track down (I've got it on laserdisc), an anime version of Fantasia. Err, that is, of the idea behind Fantasia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Carnival

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - I've got this but haven't watched it yet, it is supposedly a really amazing anime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_W ... rough_Time

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - based on Osamu Tezuka's manga inspired by the 1927 film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(2001_film)

_________________
Image

My DVDs - http://littlefuzzy.dvdaf.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:45 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am
Posts: 6166
Location: Michigan
Coraline

_________________
My Blu-Ray Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 5613
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Wonderlicious Thanks for the fix on "Allegro Non Troppo", I was thrown by IMDb where it says German, France, USA and didn't look at the distributor. You are correct the film comes out of Italy.

Thanks again.

_________________
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:24 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:02 am
Posts: 1597
Location: the balcony of the Bijou...
Oh...and "Sarah: The Seventh Match" (aka "Sarah and the Squirrel"); a haunting story about a little girl's experiences during the Holocaust.

_________________
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:06 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4830
littlefuzzy wrote:
Not all of these are necessarily my "favorites", but they might be considered obscure, and someone else may discover a new favorite.

The Dog of Flanders anime (the uncut version, not the US butchered version.)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304072/

Uproar in Heaven, early Chinese animation based on the classical novel Journey to the West (like many other things, including Dragon Ball.) There is a fan restoration available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havoc_in_Heaven

Princess Iron Fan (I haven't seen this, but it is another early Chinese work, from the same studio that did Uproar in Heaven.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_I ... (1941_film)

Panda Go Panda - two early OVAs from Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli (or before Ghibli, but still.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda!_Go,_Panda!

Meet the Feebles - assuming you count puppetry as animation. I kind of do, since you don't actually see actors on screen, but rather the results of a team of people bringing a character to life. Be warned, Meet the Feebles is NOT for kiddies!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Feebles

Persepolis - an auto-biographical story of a young girl growing up in Iran. The graphic novel was amazing, although I haven't seen the film yet myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis_(film)

Watership Down - a dark story with rabbits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watership_Down_(film)

Robot Carnival - hard to track down (I've got it on laserdisc), an anime version of Fantasia. Err, that is, of the idea behind Fantasia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Carnival

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - I've got this but haven't watched it yet, it is supposedly a really amazing anime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_W ... rough_Time

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - based on Osamu Tezuka's manga inspired by the 1927 film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(2001_film)



All of these are fantastic. Usually anime gives me some of the best stuff around for me enjoy hence why I usually prefer more anime than Disney stuff.

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:01 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
Persepolis, based on the graphic novel of the same name. It's the autobiographic tale of a young Iranian girl who lives through the 1979 Revolution, flees to Europe, but returns to her family after all. You would not expect it, but this is actually a very FUNNY, light-hearted film! Yes, it covers all the problems and obstacles of life in post-revolution Iran, but it does so with a lot of gallows humor.

Barbossa wrote:
Lucky Luke: Daisy Town
Lucky Luke: The Ballad of the Daltons

But... those made every fan of the comic cry because they were so bad. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 3673
Location: Boston, MA
Well... how obscure are you shooting? I mean, I don't consider something like "Coraline" or "Rock-a-Doodle" to be obscure whatsoever, but then I have no idea what you're more or less familiar with.

I will, however, echo DVDJunkie's "Allegro Non Troppo," Goliath's "Persepolis," and 4th Life of Thomasina's "The Secret of Kells" which I don't consider obscure per se because it was just nominated for an Oscar last year and is not the sort of movie everyone can fully enjoy, but if you can, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

On a side note, should you wonder what the inside of my head looks like, I suggest "The Brothers Quay Collection" on DVD. It's dark and bizarre, but if you're into that, you'll be into this.

_________________
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:36 pm
Posts: 1700
I've been wanting to see The Amazing Screw-on Head, from Mike Mignola (Hellboy).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Screw-On_Head

I've had Fire and Ice laying around for a while, I need to watch it - Directed by Ralph Bakshi (although I dislike his Fritz the Cat), it features artwork from Frank Frazetta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Ice_(1983_film)

How about City of Rott? Animated zombies! I haven't seen it myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Rott

Speaking of animated zombies, did you know there is Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated? It uses the original audio, while the picture is from various animators and artists from around the world.
http://www.notldr.com/next/main.html

I've been wanting to see Rock & Rule for a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_&_Rule

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem is an anime version of Daft Punk's album "Discovery",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstella

Hamilton Mattress was directed by Barry Purves of Aardman Animations.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314143/

The Miracle Maker: The Story of Jesus is pretty good, with some great stop-motion animation from Russia. There are also some 2-d animated segments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracl ... (2000_film)

_________________
Image

My DVDs - http://littlefuzzy.dvdaf.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 5613
Location: Wichita, Kansas
American Pop (1981) also directed by Ralph Bakshi. If you totally ignore some of Bakshi's work in the past, i.e. "Fritz the Cat" and "Wizards", then you will appreciate this great animated film. It's like "Fantasia" except it has a story and uses pop music of the times, everything from Bob Seger to Jimi Hendrix and lots of stuff in between. If you have never seen this, make it a point to find it, and watch it. You won't be sorry.

_________________
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:43 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Pennsylvania
dvdjunkie wrote:
American Pop (1981) also directed by Ralph Bakshi. If you totally ignore some of Bakshi's work in the past, i.e. "Fritz the Cat" and "Wizards", then you will appreciate this great animated film. It's like "Fantasia" except it has a story and uses pop music of the times, everything from Bob Seger to Jimi Hendrix and lots of stuff in between. If you have never seen this, make it a point to find it, and watch it. You won't be sorry.


Couldn't agree more. American Pop is a great movie with probably the best soundtrack ever.

_________________
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group