Disney Dolls

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Dolls

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky, your collection!! Thank you for sharing!!

I love the Anastasia dolls! So fabulous!! Do you have a favorite? Anastasia has so many pretty fashions in that movie, I even like her peasant look at the beginning quite a lot!

Jasmine is her King of Thieves wedding dress!! Never seen that one!!

Okay… the Evil Queen fashion pack… does that say “mask”??? Are you meant to take another doll and dress her up as the evil queen??

I love the original TPATF dolls.

Is that the recalled Tarzan??? Just looking at in the box, what were they thinking???

I’ve never seen that ice skating Belle, either. So pretty!!

I love those Hercules and Meg dolls. I really like the face sculpts for them, I think they did a perfect job capturing those characters from the movie.

Just realizing… Maleficent mask too?? I guess these packs were in the early days of the Disney/Mattel license so they didn’t know if actual villain dolls would sell?? Kinda love the meta aspect of taking your Snow White or Aurora doll and dressing them up as the bad guy lololol.

Beautiful collection, thank you again for sharing!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Awesome collection, Mooky!
UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:41 amKinda love the meta aspect of taking your Snow White or Aurora doll and dressing them up as the bad guy lololol.
:lol:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thank you very much guys :)

I think my favorite Anastasia look is the long dark navy dress she wears to the Cinderella ballet, and I like it on the doll too. And even though the colors are not film-accurate at all, the special edition one (golden box) is also gorgeous and very detailed.

KoT Jasmine was also supposed to come in a giftset with Aladdin, but that set (and the Wedding Aladdin doll) was never produced. The back of the box shows the two dolls together. It's kind of strange to think that DTV sequels were legitimized in this manner (same with the abundance of various Enchanted Christmas Belle dolls like the ice-skating one), but you can tell it's from a time when there wasn't such stigma attached to them. The Little Mermaid II and Return to Never Land also had dolls released, but not by Mattel.

Yep, the villain dolls weren't a thing back then, so these masks were the best they could do. I kind of like them and they make for a good use of a random doll that would have been donated otherwise. There are also Lady Tremaine and Fairy Godmother masks (both on my wishlist. A little digression: my goal is to eventually create display/dioramas for each movie so for Cinderella I'd have Cinderella in rags and Lady Tremaine next to each other, then Cinderella in her ballgown and Fairy Godmother, and finally Cinderella in her wedding gown and Prince Charming; hence multiple classic Cinderella dolls in the pic).

Yes, that's the controversial Tarzan action figure/doll :D It's one of those things that makes you wonder how come no one in the process spotted it.

Fun fact, my first exposure to Hercules was through these dolls (saw them in a catalog) and I hated how weird and angular they looked. I grew to like the style only after I had seen the movie, and now think that these sculpts are really pretty and quite unique.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't get what is wrong with the Tarzan doll.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 am I think my favorite Anastasia look is the long dark navy dress she wears to the Cinderella ballet, and I like it on the doll too. And even though the colors are not film-accurate at all, the special edition one (golden box) is also gorgeous and very detailed.
That is a beautiful doll! It’s also my favorite dress in the movie— I particularly love her kokoshnik style tiara.
Disney Duster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:11 pm I don't get what is wrong with the Tarzan doll.
I’ll just leave this here, it’s an old Jimmy Kimmel clip, maybe NSFW: https://youtu.be/JBWK2vvzfaw?si=K4pXEb4w6p5G_MBJ
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ohhhhhh... that is hilarious about the Tarzan doll!

That Anastasia dress and tiara in the film are also my favorite of hers, and the doll is beautiful.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Such an impressive collection, Mooky- thank you for sharing!! Are most of those Jasmine dolls by Mattel? I've always loved that face sculpt that most have (I had one when I was a kid, purple dress and a matching Aladdin doll).

That Tarzan doll made me crack up.

Super neat idea of the diaramas! I hope you'll share photos of them when they're completed!! And good luck moving!!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thanks for the good luck wishes and compliments!

Yes, all Jasmine dolls in the pics are Mattel's -- I generally stick to Mattel when it comes to Disney dolls. It really is a lovely sculpt, the only issue I have with it are molded earrings instead of detachable ones.

And I'll definitely share pics of my dioramas once they're done!

Thanks again!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mattel has announced a new doll releasing next week exclusively on their Mattel Creations website. This time, it’s a new Cruella De Vil fashion doll, the second entry in their Darkness Descends series. https://creations.mattel.com/products/d ... doll-hwp46

I think she looks stunning. I skipped last year’s inaugural release, a Maleficent doll, but this one just might get me to bite. I also like that she’s $50 less than the Maleficent doll, which a year later still hasn’t sold out.

It’s funny, I just bought a new 3-doll villain set that included Cruella. I was pleased with the price, but was disappointed that Cruella’s fur coat was more like a fur boa. The coat on this Darkness Descends doll more than makes up for the coat on the other!