Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I can't believe some of you took my post seriously. LOL Especially PatrickvD.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote:
the thing though is that Bolt and Tangled were both better reviewed than TPatF. I know people now two years later love to pretend as if Bolt was a lovely yet simple little film. But it got better reviews than TPatF.
Just going by Rotten Tomatoes…there’s only a 5% difference between it and Bolt. TP&TF also has a review by Armond White which criticizes nothing other than the fact that they made a movie with an African American--the same man everybody was outraged over because he brought down TS3’s perfect rating. Of course, he might’ve reviewed Bolt, too, so… Still, that’s not a colossal difference. They both still end up in the B range. This kind of brings to mind what I said in another thread, that I feel that this decade is already underrated. Only a few were really bad, and most were pretty good. I think the only thing that kept Disney back this decade was bad marketing, huge budgets, and over-expectations. Even Tangled, with its huge success, is still tied to a monumental budge.

My main problem is that people act as if TP&TF was such a huge failure. It wasn't. 5 percentage points lower than the others does not make it a failure. Yes, I'll agree that it did not perform well, considering that's just a fact--though another fact is that it did extremely well in DVD/Blu-Ray sales (which says a lot about the damage Disney has done to public perception of theatrical 2D with their direct-to-video films)--but many classics have underperformed in the company's history. Pinocchio, Fantasia, Alice, and Sleeping Beauty, for instance. And, no, I'm not saying TP&TF is as great as those, though I personally think it's very good, but let's stop acting like it's in Black Cauldron or HOTR territory either, as far as commercial performance and critical reception go, respectively. 3 times its budget is honestly not that bad. (I already know people are going to dismiss this all as just TP&TF bias, but I am trying to be objective here; what's to say others don't have an anti-TP&TF bias?)

Getting back to what you actually said (since some of the above is more directed to the atmosphere of UD), I do agree that Greno and Howard should be taken seriously and given credit for their successes. But I don't think we should degrade Clements and Musker either just because TP and TP&TF weren't knock-outs like their previous hits. There are many Disney films that don't have broad appeal that are still good. At any rate, Disney must still take them seriously if they're giving them more opportunities (like a possible Mort adaptation).

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to the possible adaptation of The Snow Queen, but this news has me a little worried. I really don’t want TSQ to transformed into a 3D film. I don’t mind that Disney makes 3D films, but I want to see 2D, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

you may dare, but I doubt it.

continue daring.
mariadny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mariadny »

I love Princess and the Frog, great film, not the best Disney classics but enjoyable.
And I LOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE Rapunzel, this is Disney, this is Disney magic.

Bolt.........pufff, I don´t hate it, but for me, not a special movie.
VISITTTTT, SPANISH DISNEY FORUM
http://animacionud.mforos.com/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

As a dog lover, and an owner of a white dog, I totally digg Bolt. The climax is one of the few that had me tearing up.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

So they'll finally get a chance to launch their own project instead of retooling an existing one.

I'll admit, I was at first skeptical when first reported they were replacing Glen Keane as director of Tangled. Bolt was fine, but somewhat generic.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Dare I suggest that it could be The Snow Queen :float:
If that's the case, than the film will most likely be called "Frozen" ;)
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Super Aurora wrote:I can't believe some of you took my post seriously. LOL Especially PatrickvD.
damn it... okay I'll vow to never take you seriously again :)

ever.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

mariadny wrote:
Poody wrote:
Now if they can create magic again, like with Tangled.... YAY! But it's it's another Bolt..... ew!
I agree
Bolt is not a bad movie, but is a normal film, with no emotions.
Tangled is awesome, wonderful, incredible....is DISNEY MAGIC.
I need more Tangleds...
No emotions in Bolt? The movie definitely got heart and emotions. Chicken Little, to name a Disney movie, got no heart or emotions. Bolt and Meet the Robinsons however got plenty of both; )
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I love Bolt! :D It really is an ultimate Disney fairy tale; it has a dog, a cat and a hamster, all the ingredients for a perfect, magical Disney film, unlike those heartless and boring films like The Princess and the Frog and Tangled with all their lame princesses and pretty boys. :roll:

For the record, I like Bolt, and I was simply parodying people's opinions on it and the insistence that everything from Disney must be a fairy tale.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Sorry for my stupidity if I misread something in that interview ...
but are we 100% sure this will be an animated flick.

All I read was action/adventure movie ???
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Tangled directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard have revealed that they will reunite for a new animated Disney feature.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Wonderlicious wrote:I love Bolt! :D It really is an ultimate Disney fairy tale; it has a dog, a cat and a hamster, all the ingredients for a perfect, magical Disney film, unlike those heartless and boring films like The Princess and the Frog and Tangled with all their lame princesses and pretty boys. :roll:

For the record, I like Bolt, and I was simply parodying people's opinions on it and the insistence that everything from Disney must be a fairy tale.
I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not, but a good Disney movie doesnt have to be in the same formula over and over and over and over and over and over.

Bolt is a good movie. you just dont like it in comparison aka because of your biased preference for the same thing being made fifty times.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Bolt is more Disney than people think. Disney is more known about animals/furries than it is about fairy tales and princesses.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

ajmrowland wrote:I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not, but a good Disney movie doesnt have to be in the same formula over and over and over and over and over and over.

Bolt is a good movie. you just dont like it in comparison aka because of your biased preference for the same thing being made fifty times.
Don't worry, I really do like Bolt (as I wrote in white), even though my inner Chris Sanders fanboy tells me to wish that it was still American Dog. I was generally parodying the people who have a bias for princess/fairies etc, by inverting the whole "wow, fairy tales are awesome soulful films and what makes Disney Disney, much better than mindless, boring crap like Home on the Range and Lilo and Stitch". I am of the opinion that almost anything can be covered in a Disney animated feature, so long as the end product makes for an entertaining film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Howard told Digital Spy that he and Greno starting pitching ideas to Walt Disney Animation Studios' chief creative officer John Lasseter during the making of their 3D Rapunzel movie.

"We actually love working together. When you work on these films for so long and so intensely, when you get to the end of them suddenly there's nothing to do," Howard said. "Once you're done with the film it's almost like empty nest syndrome, your kid has moved out of the house. You see directors spin you a year, year-and-a-half looking for the next project to do. About six months ago Nathan and I said, 'Let's not do that, let's make sure we have something cooking.' We pitched six ideas to John Lasseter and he said, 'This idea is great, this idea is great. What if you mushed them together?'"

Howard added that the project will be "really wild, like nobody's ever seen before".

"The thing it will share with Tangled is it'll have great action, memorable characters and emotion in a world you've never seen before," he said of the untitled action-adventure movie.
Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... movie.html
Greno and Howard are currently in the process of developing an original Disney film, but the two couldn’t reveal much more information than that — and it’s not because they have been sworn to secrecy.

“We’re not even being secretive about it,” Greno said, referring to the new movie. “The thing is, this time, it’s not a classic story that we’re taking and turning into a film. It’s an original idea, it’s an original world and it has original characters. So, we’re just figuring it all out. Ever since ‘Tangled’ got done, we’ve been working on it and it changes almost week to week. We’re always adding new things. What I can tell everyone is it’s a giant action movie. It has a lot of suspense and it’s a lot of fun. It’s also funny — the characters are going to be hilarious.
Source: http://www.wdtimes.com/features/screen_ ... mode=story

After that, in the 2014/2015 range will be the untitled project coming from Nathan Greno & Bryon Howard's. Not much is known about this film, but the duo hit it off on "Tangled" and have apparently pitched a project that Lasseter thinks will be great.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -road.html
When I chatted with directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard on the publicity trail for Tangled, early in 2011, they told me just a few details of their in-development follow-up.

Greno said: "I will tell you it’s a big action movie. It relates to Tangled in that will have a ton of action but it will have that ton of heart. It will feel like a Disney movie yet feel very different to Tangled. It will be really funny".

While Howard explained: "John looked at [our] six ideas [for movies] and there were two, actually, that he thought were great and he said 'Why don’t you combine those two?' and that’s the genius of Lasseter is he can always see things like that. And we thought 'Wow, that would be a really wild, different concept of a film, so totally weird and different'".
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/05/ ... n-bateman/
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Super Aurora wrote:Bolt is more Disney than people think. Disney is more known about animals/furries than it is about fairy tales and princesses.
I actually said something like that on YT just now. Now I'm waiting for people to either attack me or ignore every word I said.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ajmrowland wrote: Now I'm waiting for people to either attack me or ignore every word I said.
Aren't those normally the only response options on the Internet? :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:The projects competing for 2014/2015 are [...] Nathan Greno and Byron Howard's films which are deep in development. These are projects that are busy working out the story elements so that the films live up to John Lasseter's high Pixar standards. The one that gets the release slot will be the one whose story is deemed ready to actually animate. Not a bad concept, right?
Anonymous #1 wrote:Greno and Howard are not working on the same film.
Anonymous #2 wrote:He never said they were:

"Nathan Greno and Byron Howard's films which are deep in development."

Films as in plural.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html

Jason Bateman is in talks to voice-star in a new Walt Disney Animation feature project that will be directed by Tangled helmer Byron Howard. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the new project is an untitled animal comedy that does not yet have a release date.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... new-451665
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Re: "Tangled" directors reuniting for new movie

Post by Disneyphile »

Jason Bateman is in talks to voice-star in a new Walt Disney Animation feature project that will be directed by Tangled helmer Byron Howard.

Walt Disney Animation and Pixar won't comment on animated projects in development, and it's rare when information on one leaks. But sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the new project is an untitled animal comedy that does not yet have a release date.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... Stories%29