DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toy Story 4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Is it even a toy? maybe its the owner of the antique shop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Warm Regards wrote:
Surprised but also happy that no bad press is happening yet.

Well, the journalists only saw several minutes of clips, according to one of them, not the entire movie. But, yes, the first reactions are encouraging.

Warm Regards wrote:
I don't know what this is supposed to mean... Like, a vintage Barbie toy is angry that she's not popular anymore and becomes the villainess trying to ruin the other's lives?

I didn't translate the entire article, just summarized it, but just before mentioning that character, they say that this film, like the previous ones in the franchise, still has references to classic movies. So maybe it's just a small role. I don't know, maybe a character just says one famous line by Norma Desmond, for example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:07 pm 
Special Edition

The Toy Story 4 Pops have leaked and shows some new characters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFDPnAgKQ9/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Warm Regards wrote:
Thanks for the information D82. Surprised but also happy that no bad press is happening yet.

D82 wrote:
reveal there's a new character similar to Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean... Like, a vintage Barbie toy is angry that she's not popular anymore and becomes the villainess trying to ruin the other's lives?

Sounds like we found our twist villain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
They also liked the character voiced by Keanu Reeves, and reveal there's a new character similar to Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.

That must be the doll Gabby Gabby, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^It could be. The first look at one of her sidekicks (according to the footage descriptions), a ventriloquist dummy, has been revealed on a Ketchup bottle: https://twitter.com/dengar69/status/110 ... irl.com%2F

SpaceAce wrote:
The Toy Story 4 Pops have leaked and shows some new characters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFDPnAgKQ9/

So Combat Carl will be in the movie too. I wonder if he's part of Bonnie's toys now or if he reappears at the antique shop. From what I remember, he didn't end up with Bonnie at the end of Toy Story of Terror, did he?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

It's odd only Combat Carl Jr. will appear in the film without Combat Carl.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:24 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I had forgotten about Combat Carl Jr., I thought the one in the picture was Combat Carl. Well, not every character is in that image, so who knows, maybe both appear in the film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
^It could be. The first look at one of her sidekicks (according to the footage descriptions), a ventriloquist dummy, has been revealed on a Ketchup bottle: https://twitter.com/dengar69/status/110 ... irl.com%2F

Dolly is on a bottle! I wonder if she or any of Bonnie"s toys will be featured much in this film; I absolutely adore them all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

We got a villain: Gabby Gabby

https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 9441546240

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:12 am 
Platinum Edition

Just as we suspected. I wonder if she's a surprise villain like Stinky Pete or Lotso. There's a trend lately at Disney of having surprise female villains. Bellwether, Evelyn Deavor, Sugar Plum Fairy, Qi'ra. Do they believe people won't be able to figure out they're the villains because they're female?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I mean they started the whole secret villain with male characters, too. And knowing Disney with how lazy they are with storytelling they won't stop using this trope for a long while. I think the gender here is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:20 pm 
Gold Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:
I mean they started the whole secret villain with male characters, too. And knowing Disney with how lazy they are with storytelling they won't stop using this trope for a long while. I think the gender here is irrelevant.

"Lazy"? As long as the tropes work within the context of the story, it really doesn't matter how overused you think they are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 pm 
Gold Collection

A user on Reddit named SpectacularSpiderBro said this:

To a certain extent, Disney/Pixar's villain twists are there because the twist and the villain are both directly tied to the moral of the story. The twist is more defined when the moral/theme of the story is tied to the main character's flaws--Woody in Toy Story 2 is scared of being shelved and forgotten, and he meets Stinky Pete who will do anything to be idolized; Carl in Up is stuck living in the past, so he meets Muntz who can't let go of the hunt he's been on since the 40s, etc. etc. It's important for the emotional impact of the theme that we see the characters more or less get what they wanted, only to discover that they'd been wanting the wrong thing all this time. Disney/Pixar movies are working from a relatively simple template that they dress up for all sorts of themes and plots, but the core emotion at the center is the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 pm 
Limited Edition

:shrug: If Disney still thinks they can surprise us with overusing the same plot twist over and over again, and once we see the true villains they come off just as petty and unsympathetic as the classic villains, then yeah, it is lazy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm 
Gold Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:
once we see the true villains they come off just as petty and unsympathetic as the classic villains

Not always necessarily.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I dunno, Hans, Bellwether, and the college professor don't seem sympathetic to me. And Ernesto was just a selfish, greedy bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm 
Gold Collection

As long as the movie is GOOD, a villain twist shouldn't matter, right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm 
Platinum Edition

The surprise villain trope is only good for the surprise factor. There's nothing else to gain by that. When it's been done to death, you can no longer fool the audience since they've come to expect it. Also, this trope sacrifices characterization as the true personality of the character is only revealed late in the film, usually during the third act, and there's not enough time to adequately establish a new personality for the character.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:54 pm 
Gold Collection

Sotiris wrote:
The surprise villain trope is only good for the surprise factor. There's nothing else to gain by that. When it's been done to death, you can no longer fool the audience since they've come to expect it. Also, this trope sacrifices characterization as the true personality of the character is only revealed late in the film, usually during the third act, and there's not enough time to adequately establish a new personality for the character.

Treasure Island has always had the villain twist with Long-John Silver, but nobody cares. Nobody minds when it happens, even if we all know it's coming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next