The Lion King: Diamond Edition

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

We don't have a release date. Its planned as a theatrical release, but that's all I know. No other 3D Pixar classics have been announced.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

BEST AUDIENCE EVER! :o :o :o

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4j5bo9Ciz1c" frameborder="0"></iframe>
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Wow, over 60 million in two weeks for a RE-release. Very impressive. I just wish Disney would realize that the general public isn’t perverse to the idea of seeing traditional animated features in theaters, just the poorly made and uninspired garbage that’s become todays standard for the medium. These box office results show a general withdraw for a traditional animated feature of quality.

For comparison sake, Winnie the Pooh only made 26 million during it’s entire run.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

jpanimation wrote:Wow, over 60 million in two weeks for a RE-release. Very impressive. I just wish Disney would realize that the general public isn’t perverse to the idea of seeing traditional animated features in theaters, just the poorly made and uninspired garbage that’s become todays standard for the medium. These box office results show a general withdraw for a traditional animated feature of quality.

For comparison sake, Winnie the Pooh only made 26 million during it’s entire run.
Well, take it up with the morons who thought it was a good idea to pit Pooh against Harry Potter, and then Captain America and Smurfs later on. The same morons who were moronic enough not to release The Princess and the Frog during Thanksgiving break in 2009. :roll:

That aside, Pooh's budget was only $30-35 million, and Disney seemed pretty satisfied with how it did. Though it would have done a bit better if... well, you know. :(
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

So it should be official Disney is probably considering converting other movies such as Aladdin or Hunchback as we speak, right ?! :D
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

In Australia they've pitted The Lion King 3D during year 12 END OF SCHOOL EXAMS. Had they released it one week later it would've been smack bang in the middle of school holidays.

I think the problem with Pooh was they thought profit maximisation would be achieved through a quick home release and minimising advertising costs for the theatrical release. This was supported by the 'small target audience' for a theatrical viewing and high demand on Winnie The Pooh DVDs.

Heck in Australia they showed it for 1 week and will be releasing the BD 4 weeks later (Oct 5th yay!).

Anyhow, I wonder if they are extending The Lion King's limited run.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I'm not sure what to make of Disney's hand-drawn prospects anymore. People mourned hand-drawn animation's "death" some years ago, but now they barely make any effort to see their latest efforts. But they'll apparently cough it up for a nostalgia run.

Everyone clearly enjoys a well-told hand-drawn story, but there's something lacking from The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh that they somehow managed to do successfully in CGI with Tangled. :scratch:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
bern1992
Limited Issue

Post by bern1992 »

Victurtle wrote:In Australia they've pitted The Lion King 3D during year 12 END OF SCHOOL EXAMS. Had they released it one week later it would've been smack bang in the middle of school holidays.
Worked out great for NSW school holidays, came out on Thursday, holidays started the next day, two week limited engagement goes for both weeks of the holidays. That makes sense to me?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Victurtle wrote: Anyhow, I wonder if they are extending The Lion King's limited run.
I hear that they are.

By the way, with the Blu-Ray coming out next week, has there been a coupon released yet?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

^I hope so, I want to see it hit 100mil!

Oo they extended the run here in WA, so it runs into the school holidays :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Victurtle wrote:^I hope so, I want to see it hit 100mil!

Oo they extended the run here in WA, so it runs into the school holidays :)
I checked Fandango by typing in Urbana, IL and if fandango is to be believed, it will be in theaters until October 2nd. Since when I select October 3rd as an option, Lion King is not on the showtimes on October 3rd or after.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney was not planning to release it in theaters here in Norway, but now they have announced that it will premiere in January. The Blu-ray/DVD is already out here, and the 3D Blu-ray comes in December.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Box Office Report: 'Lion King 3D' Defends Crown with $22.1 Million
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/25/b ... moneyball/
Four new movies were no match for the feline phenom The Lion King 3D, which ruled the box office for the second weekend in a row with $22.1 million, according to studio estimates. The 1994 Disney classic dropped only 27 percent — an incredibly impressive hold considering this is the re-release of a 17-year-old film that’s coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in one week. The 3-D version has now grossed $61.7 million, bringing The Lion King‘s cumulative tally to $390.2 million.

Disney says it plans to extend what was originally intended to be just a two-week release, although details are still being ironed out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It looks it's staying on, as I checked to see what would be playing this coming week at the local multiplex and The Lion King will still be showing. :)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

estefan wrote:It looks it's staying on, as I checked to see what would be playing this coming week at the local multiplex and The Lion King will still be showing. :)
As happy as I am that Lion King did so well at the box office, is it really fair for them to extend its run after advertising it for so long as a '2-weeks only' run?

Anyway, I saw the film twice and I absolutely loved seeing the film for the first time in theatres. It was a great experience. The 3D had little effect for me.. but doesn't bother me too much. I had a great time both times and can't wait for the Blu-ray.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Heartless wrote:As happy as I am that Lion King did so well at the box office, is it really fair for them to extend its run after advertising it for so long as a '2-weeks only' run?
It's very fair (I haven't seen it yet :P). If it's still playing where I am on Saturday I'll be able to see it.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:Box Office Report: 'Lion King 3D' Defends Crown with $22.1 Million
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/25/b ... moneyball/
Four new movies were no match for the feline phenom The Lion King 3D, which ruled the box office for the second weekend in a row with $22.1 million, according to studio estimates. The 1994 Disney classic dropped only 27 percent — an incredibly impressive hold considering this is the re-release of a 17-year-old film that’s coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in one week. The 3-D version has now grossed $61.7 million, bringing The Lion King‘s cumulative tally to $390.2 million.

Disney says it plans to extend what was originally intended to be just a two-week release, although details are still being ironed out.
Makes perfect sense why they are. I wish they would tell us earlier, so Dad wouldn't had to take me on Sunday.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

They had done this before with the 'Toy Story 1 & 2' 3D re-release. It was advertised as just a 2-week limited run but then it got extended to 2 more weeks.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Roundtable Interview: The Lion King
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7433
Why is "The Morning Report" no longer a part of the feature film?

Roger Allers: It was only included for the IMAX & first DVD release as a fun bonus. The song "Morning Report" was originally written for the stage musical. We wanted this current version to be true to the original release.

Were you ever tempted to pull a "George Lucas" and "improve" parts of The Lion King prior to this new release?

Roger Allers: No, I think we knew to leave well enough alone. I did some color correcting, though, on a few scenes that I was never happy with.
Well, there you have it. Many people have already pointed out the warmer color scheme found in areas and Roger Allers just confirmed it.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Any links yet for a coupon?