Are you in or out of the Steelbook craze?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Are you in or out of the Steelbook craze?

Post by toonaspie »

It's been mighty tempting for my Disney blurays but I'm gonna do my best to stay away, especially when these steelbooks are going for the same amount as a regular DVD and take up extra space.

I just wanna know what everyone else's thoughts are on this. I'm already gonna be badly hooked on BluRay/DVD combo packs. I cant afford to get into anymore crazes! :lol:
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

The only Disney steelbook I have so far is the Snow White pre-order one. I like it. It's nice. The only reason I haven't gotten the others is because I own all of them except the Pirates films, and the only one of those I feel like upgrading is the first one.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Steelbooks would be great if they added any value to the movie in later years. But I have found that the steelbooks from the past couple of years have not added any value to the movies, when it comes to trade-in or sale on eBay.

I can't see paying any extra money just to get a steelbook for the movies, and like others have said, they do take up extra space.

For now I will just concentrate on the Combo-Packs that offer something extra, and those that don't I won't buy them. I am trying very hard not to do any useless double or triple dipping when it comes to buy Blu-ray movies.

Just went over the 200 mark in Blu-ray titles, and so far less than 20 of them are double-dips.

Next additions witll include "The Princess & the Frog" this week, "The Blind Side" next week, and for sure on April 22, "Avatar".

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I like some of them and actually own the Snow White one but with most of them I prefer the regular release cover over the Steelbook cover. A perfect example would be A Bug's Life. I absolutely love the BD cover and prefer that over the Bug's Life Steelbook.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I only own the Snow White one and that's cause one of my e-friends who works at Best Buy bought it for me for Christmas. I put my 2001 Platinum Edition DVD and a CD-R of the soundtrack in it and it sits on my DVD shelf now with my other slipcovered DVDs. :D

But I'm not really seeking them out.
-Joey
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I only have the UP steelbook and I do not plan on buying any more (Steelbooks) in the near future.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Couldn't care less, overall. I think I only have one. For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, of course). It sticks out like too much of a sore thumb among the rest of my DVD collection.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Post by The Lizard King »

I don't like steelbooks that much. They dent and scratch easily. The artwork tends to be much more simplistic than that of the normal release, which I don't like.

I much prefer slipcovers than steelbooks.

TLK :cool:
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I like the way they look and all, but I was annoyed with the recent wave at Best Buy that came out later, after I had already bought most of the movies. I wasn't going to rebuy for the sake of the steelbooks, though I did want them. I only have a few. We don't have some of the stores around here that have long been known for carrying steelbook case editions, which I've heard talked about on the forums before. I think one of the first steelbooks I'd heard of being available in stores I have was the Batman Gotham Knight DVD one, which I did get. I also got the Snow White and UP ones by pre-ordering. I think those are the only ones I have. Oh, and Real Ghostbusters v. 1. I definitely would get them if they came out on release day along with all the other versions, but... Like, Best Buy doesn't have a Princess and the Frog steelbook, but they probably will later, but I've already bought it, so...
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

If the Steelbook is the same price as the DVD/Blu-ray, I usually get them. If not I just get the normal version.

Overall Steelbooks are ok, but not worth the extra money. I also don't like how some of them hold the discs. I've gotten a few where the disc was nearly stuck in the case, and it felt like the disc would break removing it.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I'm for sure in. But only for my Disney movies. I have all the Disney steelbooks except Ratatoullie, Wall-e, and the Nightmare Before Christmas, although I plan on getting all three at some point.

I love them. The covers are much classier, and they look so much nicer on the shelf... more uniform. I do wish Disney would stop playing mind games though. They're most likely going to have steelbooks again later this year for all the releases just like last year, and so I'm actually holding off on buying the new releases like PatF and the Toy Stories until the steelbooks are released. If they never do, then I'm screwed hahaha.

BUT I'm hoping later this year we see a nice big wave that looks something like this:

Princess and the Frog
Beauty and the Beast
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000
Toy Story 1,2,3 (Maybe a jumbo steel for the trilogy? Although I'd rather have three separate ones.)
Dumbo?

And then if I'm REALLY hoping, we'll see these at some point:

Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Dinosaur
Chicken Little
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt

Ohhh boy. Dreaming again.

Edit: Oh, and Enchanted too. Can't forget that one.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I'm trying not to get into it. I already own most, if not all, of the Blu-rays that were re-released in a steel case. While they're cool and all, I'm not gonna re-buy the movies just to get a steel case. I probably won't get any new movies in a steel case either (or at least Disney or Pixar movies) 'cause I like all my movies to go together nicely.

I do have some steel-cased video games though. Metroid Prime Trilogy and Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

I'm all for uniformity. Meaning that I'd prefer if all my movies are just standard amaray dvd or blu-ray cases, though the occasional slipcover makes for a fine extra (especially the Disney Classic BD's). But in the end neither a steelbook or slipcover (or any other accessory-ish thing for that matter) really attracts me all that much to be honest.

"Uniformity - because I'm worth it."
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

unfortunately, I was never into the Steelbook option
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Out. While some are amazing, I don't think it's always worth it. And if it is, I already bought the movie.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I haven't gotten into it at all and I'm pretty sure I don't have a single steelbook. Generally speaking, I don't care too much about them. I will say, though, that the Disney steelbooks at Best Buy are beautiful. Had I not gotten all of those BDs prior to the steelbooks coming out, I'd have them in my collection (but alas, I'm not going to double dip just for that, so it's too late).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod