Just Wondering... (Black Cauldron a Failure?)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

In my opinion, The Black Cauldron is the worst Disney movie. It's too irregular, too boring an too bad told. There are also too many characters not very charming.

Of course this movie has good things, such as the score (by Elmer Bernstein) and most of the backgrounds.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

MickeyMousePal wrote:Here's how much The Black Cauldron made when it came out in the box office.

The Black Cauldron made about $21,000,000

Treasure Planet made about $38,000,000

The Black Cauldron is Disney worst film every relase.
At the time it was dark and scary for children also was PG-13.

Aiming for teenagers but it didn't work.

If you include inflation I believe the Black cauldron would be close or even ahead.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Black Cauldron

Post by Disney Guru »

Chernobog wrote:In my opinion, The Black Cauldron is the worst Disney movie. It's too irregular, too boring an too bad told. There are also too many characters not very charming.

Of course this movie has good things, such as the score (by Elmer Bernstein) and most of the backgrounds.
:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Yeah I agree with you completley Chernobog. I didn't like Black Cauldron that much either. THe animation was good but other than that don't waste your money buying the DVD.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

You can't just say not to buy the dvd! I myself liked the dvd very much! It's a great movie, little dark but I really enjoyed watching it. I especially liked Gurgi. It should have had more humor in it though ;) But I really recommend buying the dvd if you want to find out more about this underrated movie, the gallery included has a good "behind the scenes" look.
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

:twisted:
Yes, I also liked it and recommend people to buy it on DVD, evn that it´s Disney´s strangest animated feature film.
But just because of that it´s important to know about it and have seen it, I think.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

castleinthesky wrote:People always look at the bad sides of the classics. If I'm not mistaken The Black Cauldron was the first animated film with 3-d affects/computer animation. I believe it also had thousands of colors in the film.

It should get an award for that.
It wasn't. The Great Mouse Detective was first in using computers to make th e clock gears for the inside of Big Ben.

But I feel castleinthesky is still right in saying its a classic. If you forget that it was based on a book series and had to be compressed, was bad at the box office, was reviewed badly, was not accepted by many, and came after almost half a century of innocent, heart warming family animated films, "The Black Cauldron" is a pretty darn good movie by itself. It has action, adventure, humor, great animation and voice acting and good music (though The Horned King's theme is pretty freaky and more 1980s science fiction sounding). This is what constitutes a good movie to the audience and not on what happened financially. Afterall, don't people look for those things when watching a movie and not think about numbers and ratings? It's like how ppl bash the cheapuels. After watching Cinderella II again and forgeting what came before it, its still a good movie.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

Kram Nebuer wrote:
castleinthesky wrote:People always look at the bad sides of the classics. If I'm not mistaken The Black Cauldron was the first animated film with 3-d affects/computer animation. I believe it also had thousands of colors in the film.

It should get an award for that.
It wasn't. The Great Mouse Detective was first in using computers to make th e clock gears for the inside of Big Ben.

But I feel castleinthesky is still right in saying its a classic. If you forget that it was based on a book series and had to be compressed, was bad at the box office, was reviewed badly, was not accepted by many, and came after almost half a century of innocent, heart warming family animated films, "The Black Cauldron" is a pretty darn good movie by itself. It has action, adventure, humor, great animation and voice acting and good music (though The Horned King's theme is pretty freaky and more 1980s science fiction sounding). This is what constitutes a good movie to the audience and not on what happened financially. Afterall, don't people look for those things when watching a movie and not think about numbers and ratings? It's like how ppl bash the cheapuels. After watching Cinderella II again and forgeting what came before it, its still a good movie.
I'm pretty sure The Black Cauldron did have some computer animation in it.
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

Chernabog wrote::twisted:
Yes, I also liked it and recommend people to buy it on DVD, evn that it´s Disney´s strangest animated feature film.
But just because of that it´s important to know about it and have seen it, I think.
I completely agree with you. Also, I'm dying to see this movie in its OAR. I own it in fullscreen, and it's a shame because its OAR it's 2.35:1

By the way, The Black Cauldron was the first Disney movie in which computers generated graphics were used. Take a look at Hen Wen's pursuing or the fog of the Cauldron.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.