Disney Archives Collection?!?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tooniac

Disney Archives Collection?!?

Post by tooniac »

From Jim Hill Media's masterpiece Alice DVD review:

If it's any consolation, I'm told that Buena Vista Home Entertainment actually does have plans to eventually revive its "Disney Archives Collection" line. Several years down the road, look for BVHE to create this limited edition series of DVDs which will be aimed solely at the hardcore Disneyana collector market. As you might expect, these multi-disc sets will supposedly feature a fairly high price tag. But -- at the same time -- these DVDs will reportedly also be loaded with a ridiculous number of extras. Which (to my way of thinking, anyway) will make them worth waiting for.

anyone else know anything about this?
Just release every Disney full-length toon on DVD - now, damn you!
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Wow, this is exciting!
But I can't access Jim Hill Media! Could somebody post the entire Alice DVD review here, please? :D
gaysnappercarr
Limited Issue

Re: Disney Archives Collection?!?

Post by gaysnappercarr »

tooniac wrote:From Jim Hill Media's masterpiece Alice DVD review:

If it's any consolation, I'm told that Buena Vista Home Entertainment actually does have plans to eventually revive its "Disney Archives Collection" line.

My question is - What was/is the "Archives Collection"?

I've been buying Disney DVD's since the initial 'Limited Issue' release of Pinocchio, and have all of the 'real' full length Animated Features.

I have all of the Vault Disney titles and the Treasure tins. Although I do not cleecte DVD's just by a marketing brand or banner, I was genuinely interested in all of those releases.

I have never heard of the "Archives Collection" and am wondering about the remark that they will be "reviving' it.

And with toonaic, I'm interested in what will be released!
Sleepy, Sneezy, Savage Sam, Snow White and the rest
Join the fun, come Be Our Guest!
Just ask Pocahontas, Perdita, and Pooh
It's a Supercalifragilistic hullabaloo!

<a href=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... rcarr>Look at my obsession!</a>
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Don't you think this topic should be moved to General Discussion?

The Special Archive Collection was a series of laser discs which were produced with collectors in mind. The special LDs of Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins were part of this collection. Their cost was arround 100 bucks! :o

Well, if Disney has most of their releases slated for 2-disc releases (be it Platinum, Masterpiece or Special collection), I wonder what titles will be left to release under this Archive Collection banner. I mean, are they going to release "Archive" editions of the films which were already released as 2-discers?
At least it seems we wil be getting the Archive edition of Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros on DVD after all!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I don't really believe this story. Most of the "archive" editions have DVDs released or scheduled. And while I've moaned about the withholding of supplements on the new "Alice In Wonderland" DVD, they haven't really withheld enough to make the purchase of a more expensive edition favourable. Now, if they did hold off on "One Hour In Wonderland"...

Plus, what can they add for - say - Sleeping Beauty. As far as I know it's only missing a segment from the Mickey Mouse Club. When the current 2 disc Special Edition is this... "special", what will convince people to upgrade?

Jim says that the current Masterpeice Edition of "Alice in Wonderland" appeals enough to kids and collectors. But why would Disney even bother to appeal to collectors if they knew another, more detailed (and expensive) was in the pipeline.

I know Disney could bundle the Archive DVDs with books and CD soundtracks, like they sometimes did for their LD releases, but I'm not convinced...
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

$100 was not a particularly high price for LD box sets, by the way.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

So does this mean we'll have to re-buy all these DVD's? It's a good thing I only have 1 animated feature.
Defy Gravity...
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

Hum.. interesting...

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Saludos Amigos&Three Caballeros 2 Pack

Post by Disney Guru »

Chernobog wrote: Image
Hey I have never seen this 2 pack in my life. Where did you get the info on it ?
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

That two-pack is a laserdisc box set released in 1995.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Two Pack

Post by Disney Guru »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:That two-pack is a laserdisc box set released in 1995.
8)

Thanks for telling me Lars. You are a real Pal.

:wave: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LARS :wave:
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
agg44

Post by agg44 »

the disney "exclusive archive collection" included the following discs
1-mickey mouse in black and white vol1 box
2-the three caballeros-saludos amigos box
3-alice in wonderland box
4-20000 leagues under the sea double disc
5-mary poppins double disc

i happen to own all the discs except mary poppins and also all the Ld boxes that disney published before dvd came along.All i have to say is that with every new dvd special super duper edition coming out i feel that the money i spent back then were well spent.Let's see now
1-mickey mouse -the dvd tin is a little better with some uncut toons and one more toon but for it's time that ld was unbeatable
2-the 3 caballeros-nothing to say here -the dvd's are bare bones(and the saludos amigos was edited) while the ld gave a ton of information on the whole southamerican adventure
3-Alice in wonderland-sorry guys the LD was much better than the masterpiece edition

4-20000 leagues-nothing can beat the almost perfect dvd but the extras on the ld are quite different and exciting as well

And one last thing for the disney purists.You might want to stick to those old Laserdiscs for another reason beside the extras.Disney just announced that Aladdin is going to have a large portion of its content redrawn in order to fit the higher resolution of the dvd medium.As if the songs were not enough
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

There were also two Japanese "exclusive archive collection" LD sets with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
Ric-Mx
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ric-Mx »

Let's face it:

Platinum Editions and Masterpiece Editions (excluding Snow White) are not made to appeal to Collectors.

I'd love to see this kind of releases, maybe under other label. I mean, really artistic cover art, nice box sets, serious and well designed supplemental material.

I mean, people over 20 yrs (like me) don't get the Disney movies just for the movie, it because we're all a little crazy and would love to have a nice collection to satisfice this hobbie.

I would pay over $70 USD for a real BUT real nice box set with EVERYTHING about Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow whithe, Aladdin, Beautry and the Beast... and most of the classics..
feedmelinguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by feedmelinguini »

agg44 wrote:the disney "exclusive archive collection" included the following discs
1-mickey mouse in black and white vol1 box
2-the three caballeros-saludos amigos box
3-alice in wonderland box
4-20000 leagues under the sea double disc
5-mary poppins double disc
I know that Tron and Swiss Family Robinson were also included in this series, as I owned the five above, plus these two.

The Three Caballeros/Saludos Amigos set was astounding. They even created an abandoned Donald Duck short using sketches and a soundtrack, as well as another one featuring the kid from that flying burro short.

I believe they had planned to add Bedknobs and Broomsticks and The Black Hole to this collection before the Mickey Mouse box bombed, effectively ending the collection in the US.

Lon