Disney Buys Marvel

All topics on all things Marvel.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Well, as a fan of both, I can see good and bad coming from this. If Disney basically only becomes a distributor of sorts then I can see they're involvement being limited and less noticeable. After all with Miramax Disney did release some not so "Disney" titles. My only fear is that Disney will try to step in and dictate what is family friendly and what is not. Marvel on itself creates plenty of material for everyone but I would hate for it's more serious adult oriented material to become watered down only because the Disney logo is marked on the project.

Another question that comes to mind is what does this mean for the marvel themed area in The Islands of Adventure?

Also I'd like to throw out the idea that maybe this is why Disney dropped The Power Rangers earlier this year despite how well it's merchandise was still selling...
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

This is the part that I was worried about hearing:
"almost immediately, Marvel characters will pop up at Disney's theme parks."

I hope it doesn't mean that I will go to the Magic Kingdom and see Spider-man walking next to Alice and Winnie!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

The more I think about it the more I believe Disney will not drastically Marvel's mythology. First off, people are joking that Disney will make the Marvel heroes all cute and cuddly. Well, Marvel already that by themselves with Marvel Babies, Spider-Man and Friends and Marvel Apes.

Here's what I suspect may happen...

- Disney will distribute all past Marvel cartoons on DVD or Blu-Ray (something they have been doing for a while, not to mention Disney XD airs the cartoons 24/7)

- If new cartoons or animated movies based on the Marvel franchises are made Disney will have the right to show them on their channels or through home video premieres (in the same way that Warner Bros. handles the DC Universe franchise).

- Marvel based videogames will be distributed through Disney Interactive

- Disney, or one of their film distributors (Miramax, Touchstone etc.), will handle the Marvel movies

- Disney will market the characters through merchandise, theme park attractions and walk around characters (This was already done by Universal, which featured Marvel inspired theme park rides, a Marvel themed island and walk around characters and parades, so nothing new).

- I expect some crossover marketing in the same way they handle Star Wars (like Mickey as Captain America, Donald as Iron Man and such for marketing purposes)

- I think Marvel will still have control of their comics (unless the contract says otherwise)

I think Disney bought Marvel because they lack a strong superhero franchise that aims at a male demographic (the only have The Incredibles, which is a Pixar franchise). With this they can sell to the male demographic in the same way they sell to girls with the Disney Princesses and Fairies.
ImageImageImageImage

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

PatrickvD wrote:Maybe now they can make a proper Fantastic Four movie.

Starring Miley Cyrus, John Travolta, Zac Efron and Tim Allen.
Kinda sounds like Zoom. :p :lol:
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

My gf just told me about this morning as she's a huge Marvel fan and was surprised to hear the news. I honestly don't know what to think about this. To me it's just "Does not compute!" :p

I'm not a huge follower of Marvel myself, but I do love Bruce Banner/ the Hulk and the X-Men, and I loved the recent wave of movies that they have released. I'm honestly a bit scared for what might be the future. Universal had the right idea in just letting Marvel set up its own studios and letting them completely oversee the production to the very end which has been causing such good super hero films. I only hope that Disney doesn't meddle at all with Marvel Studios and just follow suit and leave it up to them to produce the movies and just distribute it.

I'm also curious as to how this bodes for Marvel Super Hero Island at Islands of Adventure. I love the land, and it has one of the best coasters (The Hulk) I think ever made with a great queue, not to mention the wonderful Spider Man attraction. I hope Marvel still allows Universal to keep the land and not have to completely strip it and redesign it.
-Tim
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I know not everybody cares for Jim Hill, but he did a pretty good analysis about the deal and uses the Muppets as an example:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... mpany.aspx

We both agree that its likely Disney will let Marvel be Marvel, in the same way they let Pixar be Pixar; they figure the purchase will be more profitable if they give Marvel enough leg room to be creative.

Also, Jim Hill explains that its likely Disney will NOT use Marvel right away because Marvel still has many deals, which include Fix for the X-Men, Universal for both the theme parks and The Hulk, Sony with Spider-Man and Paramount for Iron Man. Once those deal are done Disney can then begin to work on Marvel. So for now despite the purchase nothing will be affected and its likely it will take years before Disney gets to do something with them.

The article also mentions how John Lasseter was dreaming up a Pixar movie starring the Marvel characters and vice versa, but needed for the deal to happen first.
ImageImageImageImage

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

All I got to say is that when Iron Man II hits DVD next year, they better not give us a 2-disc set, with the 2nd disc being only a digital copy. :lol:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Wait, Disney bought Pixar for $7 bill but only spent $4 bill for Marvel?

Am I the only one seeing the injustice here?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm not feeling this. Disney acquiring the Muppets- I was very happy. Disney acquiring Pixar- I was a little apprehensive, but I was fine. This- not so much.

Does this mean that if Disney opens a new park, it'll be a Marvel-themed park? :( And is Universal going to shut down its Marvel things?

I'm hoping that, as far as the theme parks go, Marvel's presence will be nothing more than Power Rangers' was- they had meet & greets near the Stunt Show, but you wouldn't see them mingling with Disney characters.
Jim Hill wrote:Iger did mention that John Lasseter – prior to Disney formalizing this acquisition deal – sat down with the creative team at Marvel. And as John brought up the idea of Pixar making movies that featured the Marvel characters and the folks at Marvel brought up the idea of producing comic books that featured the Pixar characters
I think I'm okay with Marvel making comic books featuring Pixar characters (and only Pixar characters- I don't think we need the Hulk hanging out with Bo Peep), but I don't want to see Pixar films based on Marvel properties. I just have 0% interest in that. I didn't like the Spider-Man ride at Universal when I recently went; Bobby's uncle couldn't believe that I didn't like the ride, but I just couldn't get into the story. I enjoy Pixar films and I'm sad at that possibility.

As long as Marvel stays in its own little bubble away from Disney, Pixar, and the Muppets, then, whatever, I don't really care. But I don't want them intermingling. :(

I mean, I'm fine with something similar to the end of Muppet-Vision 3D, where Waldo turns into Mickey, but I don't want anything more than a little something like that. I don't even want a little something like that. :(

Oh, Disney. :(
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Does this mean that if Disney opens a new park, it'll be a Marvel-themed park? :( And is Universal going to shut down its Marvel things?
They mentioned this on the news here earlier. Universal can still keep their Marvel section for as long as they have the rights to and/or as long as they choose to, but Disney can make their own Marvel section at any of their parks if they want to.

Of course this is only for now, it seems, but don't be surprised if you see Marvel shirts or Spider-Man TPBs at Disney World.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

The Disney Studios theme park is the only place that could have a Marvel area, I can't imagine them opeining it at the Magic Kingdom or the other two parks.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Oh I could...

Storm's Adventerous Blizzard Coaster

Jubilee's Fireworks Spectacular!

Spiderman's Webtastic Spider House!

It's endless
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Like everyone else, the word that keeps flashing through my mind is "odd." I love Disney, and I love Marvel, but I'm having a hard time meshing the two together. I realize that Disney won't really get involved for quite some time and is only going to help expand Marvel's merchandising campaign in the meantime. That said, it still doesn't seem to fit. Was it a smart move on Disney's part? I think so; it's just difficult to conceptualize, I guess. At least we'll have plenty of time to let it sink in.

The good news is that we'll probably be seeing a lot more Disney comics in the future, something I feel has been lacking lately. A tiny part of me would love to see the outcome of a Deadpool/Mad Hatter encounter...
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I don't care if they release the older Marvel stuff....but on all that is holy, if they f*** up the universes in any way I think I will scream.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

2099net wrote:

Can you imagine the fuss when some poor busybody finds out Disney owns the company which published the "Son of Satan" comic (and other examples of demonic entities too)? Song of the South will seem like a walk in the park! :)
I link you herehttp://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessa ... c=51164111
Muppet-Vision 3D, where Waldo turns into Mickey
That didn't when I saw it, but that was 2003.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Well...this isn't the first time two odd concepts came together and got popular....

The Kingdom Hearts Franchise.....although Disney didn't buy SE but when the idea of Disney characters and Final Fantasy in a video game sounded like an oddball idea... Although I wonder if Spider-Man will be in a future Kingdom hearts game now.....

in the meantime....I think this comic idea I have should come out

Donald Meets and/or VS Howard :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

pap64 wrote:Disney, or one of their film distributors (Miramax, Touchstone etc.), will handle the Marvel movies.
I would let either Touchstone, Miramax, or even Dimension should handle it. Those Disney divisions sound perfect to handle Marvel.
pap64 wrote:I think Marvel will still have control of their comics (unless the contract says otherwise)
I think so too.

To me, Disney buying Marvel is in someways bittersweet because it's another excuse for people to mock Disney for being an evil conglomerate and it's an opportunity for Disney to give some of the forgotten Marvel heroes a second chance. I just want Disney's divisions to handle and distribute any future projects of the Marvel franchise and NOT Walt Disney Pictures (that would be crazy).
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I think the mixed feelings are understandable. As with any purchase fans wonder what will come out of it. This is especially odd because Disney has never been an action hero company (maybe this is the reason they bought Marvel?).

Right now it looks like they won't be doing much with it due to Marvel still working with other companies, so I wouldn't worry much for now.
ImageImageImageImage

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

You guys do realize now that when Beauty and the Beast gets re-released, Beast will be blue and sound like Frasier...

:o :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

When I first heard the news, this is my reaction:

Wolverine: Come on Sora let's kick some ass! *snickt*
Sora: Not until I transform with my keyblade, Wolvie!
Donald: WHAT THE FUCK