Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disenchanted

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Good point about the scales. I guess I was focused on the lines (strings? tassels?) that make me think of shooting stars. I didn't say it before when I said I liked Adams' outfit--I love her hair there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:
Farerb wrote:D82, I don't think there's a correlation between theatrical releases and Disney+ releases. Disney needs to put out content for streaming every month otherwise they lose subscribers. Most likely Strange World will be released on Disney+ on Christmas like Encanto did.
Well, maybe you're right. I think the finale of some Marvel show coincided with the release of a theatrical movie from the company or at least was very close to it, but I don't remember two Disney films opening on the same weekend, one in theaters and the other on streaming. If both were very different kinds of movies, I could see them doing it, but these two have the same target audience. It's true that it's not a normal weekend, though, and family films tend to do well on Thanksgiving, so who knows, but I'll be a bit surprised if this is confirmed. I guess we'll soon find out, since we'll get more info about Strange World when it is presented at Annecy.
I thought about this again now that we know that Strange World isn't postponed, but now I don't really understand why Disney is releasing both movies at the same time. I know that one is for Disney+ and one is for theaters, but wouldn't they want people to go out to theaters that weekend, thus maybe they shouldn't give them a reason to stay at home? It almost feels like they are sabotaging themselves.

Needless to say that between these two movies, I look forward to Disenchanted more than Strange World, despite Disenchanted not getting good reactions at test screenings.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I thought about this again now that we know that Strange World isn't postponed, but now I don't really understand why Disney is releasing both movies at the same time. I know that one is for Disney+ and one is for theaters, but wouldn't they want people to go out to theaters that weekend, thus maybe they shouldn't give them a reason to stay at home? It almost feels like they are sabotaging themselves.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't understand it either.
Farerb wrote:Needless to say that between these two movies, I look forward to Disenchanted more than Strange World, despite Disenchanted not getting good reactions at test screenings.
Me too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are some updates I found while the forum was down. I wanted to add some more pictures, but it seems it's not possible right now. I just added one as an attachment since I have no link for that one. The others can be seen clicking on the links.

• The synopsis of an upcoming book based on the movie reveals some new story details:
Happily Ever After ... Again! Seeking a change from their busy lives in New York City, Giselle and Robert relocate their family to the suburb of Monroeville, a charming town reminiscent of Andalasia, the fairy-tale land where Giselle grew up. Their teenage daughter, Morgan, however, is less than thrilled. After a mishap in Morgan's room at the new house, her entire wardrobe is ruined! And to make things worse, Giselle accidentally embarrasses Morgan in front of her peers at her new school. In a fit of anger, Morgan tells Giselle that she will never be her real mother, only her stepmother. Giselle is devastated. Desperate to alter her circumstances, she wishes on the Wand of Wishes for a fairy-tale life for her and her family. The next day, her wish comes true! But it isn't without a price. Will Giselle get her happily-ever-after once again? Or is this the end for Giselle and all of Andalasia?
Source: https://www.booktopia.com.au/disenchant ... 92248.html

• Idina Menzel has revealed the title of one of her songs. Now we know two songs titles: "Even More Enchanted" and "Love Power":
“I have an incredible song that composers Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz wrote for me called ‘Love Power,’ and it’s a pretty awesome moment,” she said. “It’s a very traditional musical and it’s got an old-fashioned quality to it.”

Getting back into character meant having to wear costumes that are pretty much “the antithesis” of Encore.

“Expect to see me in a corset,” she quipped.
Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/idina-me ... mg00000004

• Maya Rudolph and Yvette Nicole Brown have also recently talked about their experiences working on the film:

Maya Rudolph Spills on Her Dinner with VP Harris, Loot and Disenchanted
Maya Rudolph Did Drag for Her Role in Disenchanted
Yvette Nicole Brown Calls the Enchanted Sequel a "Love Letter" to the Fans

• Daniel Thomas Crook, an animator who has worked in 2D in films like Klaus or Space Jam: A New Legacy, is working on the film. IMDb also has a couple of clean-up artists listed in the animation department. Hopefully, this means the animated segments will be in 2D.

• Photos of two of the sets used in the movie:

https://twitter.com/merdersuniverse/sta ... 2087727109
https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wi ... 43184.html

• On July 17 Adam Shankman posted on his Instagram stories that they were working on the score.
LRSwdAB.jpg
LRSwdAB.jpg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
• And this is not new, but I think wasn't posted here. Adam Shankman also shared this a couple of days after the reshoots in New York started, so apparently they didn't film much there.
And that’s a wrap, AGAIN!
#Disenchanted
@inktankgirl (writer!)
@barryjayj (producer!)
@wickedschwartz (duh!)
An excellent young actor named @amyadams who’s going places!
@alanmenken (faint)
A dashing young Jewish gay guy named ….
Well it’s me (director)
And some handsome guy named @patrickdempsey. He seems familiar to me….
@disneyplus
Coming soon soon soon (that’s an echo effect)
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcBs8blLUpg/

I didn't know Adam Shankman was Jewish. There are at least four Jewish people in that photo then: Adam Shankman, Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, and as I found out after a quick Google search, also producer Barry Josephson. I recently learned Eric Goldberg was Jewish as well thanks to Sketchbook, the Disney+ documentary series. I didn't know that before either.

Responding to a question in the comments section of his post, the director also said what was reshoot were a couple scenes that had been cut:
All of Ireland is still there! We just shot a couple scenes that had been cut

Before shooting that we realized we wanted back in the movie :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:“I have an incredible song that composers Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz wrote for me called ‘Love Power,’ and it’s a pretty awesome moment,” she said. “It’s a very traditional musical and it’s got an old-fashioned quality to it.”
This sounds right up my alley. It makes me very eager to listen to the new songs!
D82 wrote:Daniel Thomas Crook, an animator who has worked in 2D in films like Klaus or Space Jam: A New Legacy, is working on the film. IMDb also has a couple of clean-up artists listed in the animation department. Hopefully, this means the animated segments will be in 2D.
That's very encouraging news. Fingers crossed!
D82 wrote:Responding to a question in the comments section of his post, the director also said what was reshoot were a couple scenes that had been cut.
It's a relief knowing that was the reason for the reshoots and not poor audience test screenings.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Very curious to see if they’re able to create animated sequences that are consistent with the ones from the original film.

And I hope it has the same tongue-in-cheek humor as well.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

getting people from klause and space jam seems like a good idea to me. space jam could have used more polish compared to the original, but it doesn't get much better than klause, so I think they should be able to get pretty close to enchanted level of animation. no idea how involved this person will be though or what they did in each one.

I wonder they might try to use the klause style lighting/shading in this one. Probably not but its fun to think about.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Sotiris wrote:It's a relief knowing that was the reason for the reshoots and not poor audience test screenings.
No matter what the real reason, the director of a movie would never admit to poor test audience scores. They would temper bad buzz as much as possible.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I think re-shoots are a standard part of a movie’s production schedule these days. Part of the initial budget. Then if they’re not needed they’ll just have a movie coming in under budget and everyone is happy. It’s all about efficiency.

It says literally nothing about quality anymore.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

ah things are coming along nicely...lets hope for a teaser trailer soon! :up:
Im glad were getting some 2d animation(Klaus! Cool!) but I really have my doubts on the animation matching the original rich art nouveau look 100%. I dont trust Disney when it comes to 2d animation these days, I just dont think they care about it enough to make it look right.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

unprincess wrote:I dont trust Disney when it comes to 2d animation these days, I just dont think they care about it enough to make it look right.
Me neither. I hope it will at least be decent and any difference in quality or style won't be too noticable.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Adam Shankman posted this on his Instagram stories yesterday: https://imgur.com/ECDszT2

The logo can be seen in the background, I guess it's the way it'll appear in the movie.
Sotiris wrote:
unprincess wrote:I dont trust Disney when it comes to 2d animation these days, I just dont think they care about it enough to make it look right.
Me neither. I hope it will at least be decent and any difference in quality or style won't be too noticable.
Well, the animation in Mary Poppins Returns was quite good, in my opinion, but that was a theatrical film. I don't know if they'll make a similar effort for a streaming movie. Personally, I'd be happy if it's really hand-drawn animation. I don't ask for more this time, though of course, it would be great if it matched the quality and style of the original film's animation.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I am absolutely GUTTED that we won't able to see this on the big screen ! This and Hocus Pocus 2; such a shame to not have them at least released theatrically for a bit ?!

I get they need Disney+ exclusives but they have allll the Marvel and Star Wars TV show spin offs ... can't they allow this musical spectacular to get out onto the big screen ?!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Apparently, Montreal-based animation studio Tonic DNA is doing the animation segments for the film. They announced it back in December 2021, but it seems people haven't found out about it until now. They've provided 2D animation for Space Jam : A New Legacy or the new Looney Tunes HBO Max Shorts.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm glad there'll be hand drawn animation in the film, but it's still disappointing that Disney Animation doesn't do it. I'm guessing they won't do it for Tiana too, but hopefully they can outsource it like they do with this movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'd prefer they outsourced it for Tiana rather than making it in CG, but they should actually do the animation themselves since it's a WDAS project. Regarding Disenchanted, I personally don't mind another studio is doing the animation since it already happened with the first film, which was animated by the James Baxter studio.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Atlantica wrote:I am absolutely GUTTED that we won't able to see this on the big screen ! This and Hocus Pocus 2; such a shame to not have them at least released theatrically for a bit ?!
I was thinking the exact same thing. Those two and Pinocchio as well deserve a theatrical release, instead of just going directly to Disney+.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Adam Shankman announced on Instagram that they've finished recording the score. I can't wait to listen to the film's music. I hope at least a little snippet is featured in the teaser trailer, which will most likely be released for the D23 Expo. Though, many times they save the music for future trailers, so maybe we'll have to wait a bit more.

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

New Images:

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for posting! Those images were included in the intro to Idina Menzel's Disney Legend award. I thought they could be from Disenchanted when I saw them, but they went by so fast, and I couldn't pause the video because it was a livestream. Here they are also in video form.

And here are some interviews with Patrick Dempsey after receiving his award. In the first one he confirms we'll get more info about the film this week. He's clearly referring to D23.

https://youtu.be/16VL56QI3Y8?t=61
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1568318760431517696
https://twitter.com/extratv/status/1568318797177835520