Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disenchanted

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:Why did they have Whedon replace Snyder anyway, when all I have heard of the Snyder cut is that the Snyder cut is the better one?
Zack Snyder's daughter died so Whedon came on to get the film finished; it was Snyder's idea to keep the release date intact.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Why did they have Whedon replace Snyder anyway, when all I have heard of the Snyder cut is that the Snyder cut is the better one?
Zack Snyder's daughter died so Whedon came on to get the film finished; it was Snyder's idea to keep the release date intact.
I see. Haven't seen either film. I'm surprised Whedon completely retooled it once at the reigns and didn't simply complete it as per Snyder's vision seeing as it sounds he was more a caretaker-director in Snyder's absence. Or maybe the situation was a lot more complex than that?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The actors have said that Whedon was very dismissive of Snyder's movie when he was on set (Whedon has since also heavily criticised the rough cut he watched in later interviews), so in his mind, he was drastically improving the movie. Having seen both the theatrical cut and the Snyder Cut, I feel like Whedon was left with plenty of usable footage to work from. I don't know why he felt the need to spend the studio's money on completely changing scenes that were already fine to begin with. He was originally tasked by Warner Bros to add more humour, but the Snyder Cut still had plenty of humour, especially from the Flash. The Flash is constantly making quips in that version, so I don't know why Whedon felt the need to change some or add his own.

Anyway, back to "Disenchanted", reshoots were probably built into the schedule and test screening reports aren't always reliable. There are example of things being dramatically changed after test screenings, some bad and other times good. And there can even be valid reasons. The ending of "Little Shop of Horrors" was reshot, because the audience had grown to love Seymour and Audrey and hated seeing them die. Even though Frank Oz preferred the stage musical's ending, he understood that a movie audience would react differently to that sort of finale than a theatre audience, who will immediately see the actors come and take a bow.

Another notable case is "WALL-E." The ending originally involved WALL-E saving EVE, which was even fully animated and a few shots appear in the trailer. However, after test screenings, Andrew Stanton realised it worked a lot better the other way with EVE saving WALL-E after he is close to destroyed.

I don't think "Disenchanted" is quite the same as those scenarios (we probably won't find out until closer to the film's release), but I've never fretted about test screenings and additional photography, precisely because of this.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for the info blackcauldron85 and estefan.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey in costume for the reshoots (more images on the links):

Source: https://www.mymarlow.co.uk/2022/03/gall ... ed-sequel/ (via mmdisney200)

Source: https://twitter.com/dxmpseyy/status/1508552691701600256
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Better look at Giselle, Robert, and, I believe, Morgan in new set photos. More images here. Amy appears to be singing in some of them, so I guess they were shooting a musical number.

Image Image Image
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another photo:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for posting the pictures. I like Robert`s new outfit and the look of the props.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like the costumes, especially Robert's.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I agree the outfits and props don't look bad. There are some more pictures of the set on this article. They've transformed another village into a fairytale land, brought back the lead characters (James Marsden has also come back apparently), and are shooting new musical numbers, so it seems to me they're reshooting a considerable part of the movie. Maybe the release will be postponed after all. As I've said before, though, I don't mind it if the film is going to be better as a result.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I agree D82, I don't mind waiting if it means a better movie.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I like what I'm seeing :) the costumes are beautiful
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I heard that the initial ending that people didn't like was:
Giselle and Robert separating and Giselle understanding that she doesn't need to be with a guy in order to be happy.
I don't know whether that's true though.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Farerb wrote:I heard that the initial ending that people didn't like was:
Giselle and Robert separating and Giselle understanding that she doesn't need to be with a guy in order to be happy.
I don't know whether that's true though.
It seems that today people can't watch movies where The princess has a love interest... If this is the actual ending I'm going to be very disappointed.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

On the bright side, an ending like that would leave an opening for a third film where they get back together. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I find it hard to believe Disney would do something like that, especially considering Giselle and Robert apparently have had a child together who's still a baby. I don't think they would have them split up in a moment like that. Plus, the plot seems to go in the opposite direction. It looks like Giselle will be "disenchanted" with her current life at the beginning, which makes her make the wish that transforms everything into a fairytale. But after the spell goes wrong, she'll probably learn to appreciate what she already had and the relationship with her family will most likely improve at the end.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Adam Shankman said on Instagram he's back in New York and producer Barry Josephson posted a message thanking the UK crew and the cast for their work, so I think the reshoots might've finished. At least, the portion filmed in the UK. Speaking of that location, I found it interesting that the small village where they have filmed this time around (which isn't the same where they shot back in the summer; that one was in Ireland) has been featured in films such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, 101 Dalmatians, Sleepy Hollow or Into the Woods.

And could this photo Adam Shankman shared mean he has a cameo in the movie?

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

He's got a dwarf/wizard nose!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I agree Im liking the costumes, they remind me of the ones from OUAT which were gorgeous.
Why is Morgan a baby though? she's Robert's daughter from the first film right?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Apparently, the reshoots haven't finished yet after all. Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey and the actress playing Morgan have been spotted filming some scenes in New York now (more images on the links). I bet this is from the beginning, when they're about to leave the city to live in the country.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... -York.html

Source: https://etcanada.com/photos/120441/star ... age-883071

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyLABR/status/1 ... 6767193088

Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz were also present at the shooting:

Source: http://onlydempsey.eklablog.com/disench ... a212356667

Here's also new info about the reshoots:
SIGNIFICANT reshoots of the Disney movie Disenchanted, which was shot in Ireland last summer, are taking place due to mixed reactions during test screening.

Reshoots got under way in the UK last week in the Buckinghamshire village of Hambleden, southeast England.

The principal cast, along with numerous extras, are involved in reshoots of scenes similar to those in the Wicklow village of Enniskerry last year, which drew thousands of onlookers to the medieval set.

The English village has been transformed with flowers and signs, while buildings have been decorated to appear as fairytale-style shops similar to those seen in Enniskerry.

Reshoots will also take place in New York City and are expected to last until the end of this month.

Hollywood stars Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey, who are the cast leads, have been spotted around several locations in the UK in costume. Dempsey will make his singing debut in the movie.

Filming wrapped up in Ireland last August after four months of shoots in Dublin, Louth and Wicklow.

An industry source said: “They (the production team) did have to reshoot some scenes. As of March 28, reshoots have been under way in Buckinghamshire, England due to mixed reception at a test screening. Reshoots will also take place in New York City and are expected to last until April.”

It remains unclear if large portions of the movie are being reworked – which could potentially lead to a delay to the release – or if just a few scenes are being tweaked after test screening complaints.

The original release date was due to be late this year, but that may now be pushed backed to next year.
Source: https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 22331.html

Disney Duster wrote:He's got a dwarf/wizard nose!
It's true! I thought he might be playing a beggar, but a dwarf or a wizard is more likely.
unprincess wrote:Why is Morgan a baby though? she's Robert's daughter from the first film right?
The baby is not her. She can be spotted in the third image I posted (at least I believe it's her, I'm not 100% sure since we can't see her face well). Sorry, I said she appeared in the photos, but didn't specify where. Yes, she's Robert's daughter from the first film, though she's now played by another actress. The sequel takes place 15 years after the original, so Morgan is around 20 now. The baby must be Morgan's little brother or sister (most likely sister judging by the color of the baby carriage) Giselle and Robert have probably had together since the first film.