Harry Potter Ultimate Editions Coming

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Target is gonna have exclusive DVDs of the Extended film versions of Harry Potter 1 & 2 for $15 each. I didn't see Blu-ray listed as available. Here's my source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=124106
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

zackisthewalrus wrote:Target is gonna have exclusive DVDs of the Extended film versions of Harry Potter 1 & 2 for $15 each. I didn't see Blu-ray listed as available. Here's my source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=124106
I'll have to check these out on Tuesday to see how they compare to the "Ultimate Editions." It seems to be a repackaging of JUST the film with the extended footage, nothing else.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

2099net wrote:Well, I got "Half Blood Prince" today, which claims to have a "Maxiumum Movie Experience", but really its not. It's a slight (only very slight) evolution of Warners old IME (In Movie Experience) from their old HD DVD days (and a few of their later "catch-up" blu-ray releases). It's nothing like the super-slick presentation on the Watchmen and Terminator:Salvation discs.

From the trailers, it looks like the Ultimate Potters will be the same. I wouldn't be surprised if when Goblet of Fire and Order of Phoenix come out, they don't recycle most of the IME content from the HD DVDs.
Thanks for the update, Netty. I had a feeling the Ultimate Editions for the first two would basically be IMEs since, like you said, the trailer seemed to indicate that format. The lack of it on movie six, though is more surprising. I guess WB only does it when a director is willing to stand there facing a camera and visually point out things during his comments. I can imagine not a lot of directors would be keen on doing that and would probably feel too self-conscious. As long as the focus points on 1 and 2 are substantial (I'll worry about 6 later), then I'll be satisfied by slightly upgraded IMEs.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Does anybody know if the Extended Editions of S.Stone or COS contains Audio Commentaires???
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

They don't. The only "commentary" available for the movies are the Maximum Movie Modes on the Blu-Rays.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Err... that's kinda bummer, I mean I'm glad the bonus feats are worth watching, but I wish all the directors/proudcers/JK Rowling would do commentaires for all 7 Potter films. Maybe we'll get one when Deathly Hallows is released on DVD

what's Maximum Movie Mode ??
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I'm using watchmen's as we speak. It's an upgraded version of the In-Movie Experience picture-in-picture tracks, where you can branch off to video content, still galleries, and the director occasionally comes up full-screen to talk about certain things himself. Maybe not an "upgrade" so much as a variation.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Reviews are up on the Blu versions at courtesy of www.thedigitalbits.com

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd ... 9.html#har
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Disneykid wrote:Thanks for the update, Netty. I had a feeling the Ultimate Editions for the first two would basically be IMEs since, like you said, the trailer seemed to indicate that format. The lack of it on movie six, though is more surprising. I guess WB only does it when a director is willing to stand there facing a camera and visually point out things during his comments. I can imagine not a lot of directors would be keen on doing that and would probably feel too self-conscious. As long as the focus points on 1 and 2 are substantial (I'll worry about 6 later), then I'll be satisfied by slightly upgraded IMEs.
I would have thought that, if the director doesn't want to do a MMM (which is fair enough - I know I wouldn't!) Warners could have got one or two of the films stars to host the MMM. After all, the Weasley Twins basically host the Goblet of Fire IME, Josh Lucas hosts much of the Poseidon IME and Universal use Paul Walker on their MME-like "Take Control" feature.

I just think its wrong for Warners to call this a Maximum Movie Mode when its not.
Last edited by 2099net on Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I'm gonna wait until the last two movies are released before I buy Harry Potter. Gonna wait for a boxed set, like Lord of the rings which I finally got around to pcking up last week in the Steel Book case.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Best Buy is advertising Blu-Ray of the Extended Editions of "SS" and "COS" for $32.99 the first week of their release beginning this Tuesday, December 8th.

"SS" has only 7 minutes added to it, whle "COS" has over 14 minutes of extended footage.

Best Buy is also advertising "Half Blood Prince" for $17.99 on Blu-Ray.

Target is not advertising their Blu-Ray prices on the Extended Editions.

:D
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

My Half Blood Prince blu ray/dvd combo pack shipped today from Amazon and will be here on release day for only $15.99. Got free shipping with my 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime (which I'll be cancelling as soon as I receive my copy of The Hangover to save the $79.99 yearly fee).
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
DisneyLuver
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyLuver »

buffalobill wrote:My Half Blood Prince blu ray/dvd combo pack shipped today from Amazon and will be here on release day for only $15.99. Got free shipping with my 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime (which I'll be cancelling as soon as I receive my copy of The Hangover to save the $79.99 yearly fee).
Mine shipped Friday, and I'm almost positive that it will be here tomorrow! It's at the post office currently, so I'm excited!
The same thing happened for Terminator Salvation last Monday, so I'm so incredibly excited to get the Blu-Ray Combo Pack for $15.99 flat a day early!! :D
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

buffalobill wrote:My Half Blood Prince blu ray/dvd combo pack shipped today from Amazon and will be here on release day for only $15.99. Got free shipping with my 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime (which I'll be cancelling as soon as I receive my copy of The Hangover to save the $79.99 yearly fee).
Here in Germany you can cancel your free trial anyday, but will get all orders you placed till then still fast like other prime members- even pre-orders that will released 6 month after your trial, as long as you'd ordered it during your membership.
Sure it's not the same in the US?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't know what it is about people who think that putting their Credit Card numbers in cyber-space means that they are secure. They aren't!!! Just pay attention to the news and hear all about the people who have had their numbers stolen from the internet. Sure you have protection and stuff, but how about that time it takes to straighten out the mess it stirs up.

And having to join some program just to get free shipping is totally against the rules of the game if you are just going to cancel it after you receive your product. I am sure that these company's like Amazon will catch on, and not give you the price break until you have used the membership first. They don't make any money from people who sign up, get their product and then cancel. Besides that is like getting dental insurance. You get it, get the work done on your teeth, and then cancel it. That is what drives prices up, and I am sure that it is the same way with Amazon or any of the other companies.

Besides I don't want to wait for the mail, sure it usually comes on the day or day before it is released, but then if it is defective, you have to go through all the junk about getting a RA number for return, and returning the product and waiting for the replacement to come.

No thanks, I will pay an extra buck or two just to have it in my hands the day it is released and know that if it is defective I can take it right back and get another one.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

dvdjunkie wrote:Don't know what it is about people who think that putting their Credit Card numbers in cyber-space means that they are secure. They aren't!!! Just pay attention to the news and hear all about the people who have had their numbers stolen from the internet. Sure you have protection and stuff, but how about that time it takes to straighten out the mess it stirs up.
Maybe you've had trouble in the past, but I've never had any issues with Amazon. If you enter your credit card into every website you see, then yes, you're asking for trouble, but neither I nor anyone I know has had trouble with Amazon.
dvdjunkie wrote:And having to join some program just to get free shipping is totally against the rules of the game if you are just going to cancel it after you receive your product. I am sure that these company's like Amazon will catch on, and not give you the price break until you have used the membership first.
It's not really "against the rules". Amazon says you can cancel up until a certain date without being charged. It's not like you're doing something that they don't know about or aren't aware of. I only assume the number of people who keep Amazon Prime is substantial enough that Amazon is willing to eat the loss of what you're shipping in a month, or that the cost of shipping period isn't all that much to them.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Got my Half-Blood Prince blu ray/dvd combo today from Amazon. It's perfect AND they've lowered the price to $14.99 & I got a $1 credit.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

I received my single-disc edition of HBP today (it was only $10 plus free shipping) from Walmart.com. I've watched a bit of it today on my computer -- again, it continues WB's trend of subpar PQ on their DVDs. The digital artifacts, shimmering and poor compression aren't as bad as last year's The Dark Knight transfer -- due to the more diffuse color palette and color correction it camoflages a lot of them for the most part (and it should hold up well on 4:3 TVs). But in this day and age, all recent-catalogue titles should look GREAT on DVD.

I've gotten used to the fact that the movie studios are putting more or all the extras on the Blu-ray as opposed to DVD (like Paramount, Universal, Sony and Fox). But unlike Warner Brothers, they at least don't slack off on the picture quality for their DVD titles. It seems like today, unless it's a classic title, most of the WB/NL new releases look either bad or subpar on DVD.

I pray that the Ultimate Edition of HBP has an improved DVD transfer once it's released either next year or early 2011.
Last edited by azul017 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I got the Harry Potter year 1 and 2 Ultimate Edition on December 5th, from my parents!

Good stuff...