Favorite of the BTTF movies?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Handofdoom71

Favorite of the BTTF movies?

Post by Handofdoom71 »

Mine is Part II, for the 2015 scenes alone.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I liked the first one.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

The third one, even if the general consensus among fans is that it's the weakest.

Then again, it was the first one our family saw. We had rented it first and watched it, then decided to rent the first two. It's not the first time we've watched movies out of order. IIRC, for Indiana Jones the order I saw them in was Temple of Doom, Raiders, then Last Crusade.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The first one is my favorite, although all three are great.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Don't worry Escapay, as I've said before, the third one is my favourite too.

For so many reasons:

I like how it inverts the mechanic of the Doc/Marty friendship - in the third one it's Marty helping the Doc. It's the ideal sign-off to the series and their friendship.

I like how qet a romance that isn't focussed on teenagers.

I like how the whole film references so many little points from the previous two (even if its clear a lot of these points were put into part II just for part III)

I love the end music's witty riff on the How the West Was Won theme mixed with the BTTF theme we know so well.

And unlike Part II, I like how a film about time travel actually explores the past (be it, like Part I a somewhat romanticised, nostalgia based history) while at the same time examining potential concequences of time-travel.

I really think Part II is the weakest - yes its somewhat fun, but ultimately shallow.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

I like all three movies. It's amazing to watch all three after each other, it really fits together. That said, the first and second one are my favorites. The first one because it's the original, and can be watched alone if you want. The second one is the first BTTF movie I saw. It really didn't make any sense to me at the time, but it has become my personal favorite.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Definitely the first one since it is the one that introduced all the characters. Part II would be next because of the 2015 scenes, then Part III. For some reason, I always found the Third part to be kind of weak, probably because of the setting.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Part 3 is pretty fun, especially with some of the homages to spaghetti westerns, and so on.

I love all three movies, though. It's hard to believe that the second one is set only 6 years from now! Where are the flying cars??
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Parts 1 and 3 are amazing. Part 2 is just dull and hard to sit through for several reasons:

- The fundamental appeal of the series for me is gone. The view of the past with a contemporary perspective

- It dates the film to have it in the future, especially less than 30 years after it's release.

- Biff isn't that great a villain. In the first one he was just a small town punk who was an inconvenience, time itself was more the antagonist in my mind.

- It just wasn't that funny or memorable for me

Part 3 is good enough to stand on it's own, the old west look/feel/references are great plus the music may be the best of the three.

But Part 1 is great as well so it's hard to choose, the soundtrack for that one is definitely fun to listen too.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

The first one is my favorite because I'm a big fan of the 1950s. If I could time travel to any decade, that'd be my pick.

I always go back and forth as to which sequel I prefer. I'm not too crazy about the first half of Part II but really like the second half of it. Part III's more consistent in terms of quality, but its highs never reach the highs of Part II for me. So I'll say that even though I think Part III's a better film, I find myself slightly more drawn to Part II, flaws and all.

Either way, it's a well-made trilogy and one I hope to upgrade to BD soon.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

2099net wrote:Don't worry Escapay, as I've said before, the third one is my favourite too.

For so many reasons:

I like how it inverts the mechanic of the Doc/Marty friendship - in the third one it's Marty helping the Doc. It's the ideal sign-off to the series and their friendship.

I like how qet a romance that isn't focussed on teenagers.

I like how the whole film references so many little points from the previous two (even if its clear a lot of these points were put into part II just for part III)

I love the end music's witty riff on the How the West Was Won theme mixed with the BTTF theme we know so well.

And unlike Part II, I like how a film about time travel actually explores the past (be it, like Part I a somewhat romanticised, nostalgia based history) while at the same time examining potential concequences of time-travel.

I really think Part II is the weakest - yes its somewhat fun, but ultimately shallow.
Part 3 is also my fave, and I gotta agree with all your points, including that part 2 is the weakest, despite having some VERY COOL aspects too it. I mean, I love the hovering skateboards and the back and forth with the sports almanac, Marty seeing himself in the 50's, etc... They're all great films, but I agree with your points still.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Second one is my favorite. I like the 2015 and 1950's scenes.

The third one, I like the flying, time-travelling train.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now.

The BTTF trilogy are my favorite movies of all time. Such a huge part of my childhood, and I'm thrilled that they are still so popular today.

It's so hard to pick which one is the best. I will agree that #1 and #3 have the edge, but by no means is #2 bad - it was necessary for what it did. Now I want to go watch them again....I can't wait for their BD release.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Linguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Linguini »

my favorite BTTF movie is the first one, but the second is really close behind. Too bad they had to replace Claudia Wells after the first movie.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wow, I love all three movies for different reasons; I collaborated on a parody movie poster of the first one a while back (I'm not gonna link it here though; it's not that bad but it's buried in my dA account if you're old enough to turn off the mature filter :p ) . . . anyway, I was quite proud of it. :lol:

Every time I go to Universal Studios in CA, the most exciting part to me is seeing the town square set (even though it's been burned down and replaced how many times since the filming) as well as the Lyon Estate lions (although the letters have since been painted over). I'm such a dork over these things. :D Someday I'm gonna visit that mall that Marty and Doc tested the time machine at, as well as the tunnel Marty skateboarded through (and it's the same tunnel that lead to Toontown in Roger Rabbit)!

The first film always takes me back to being a kid. As cool as I find everything in the film to be, that's the best part of it all. No other movie hits me quite like that one does, and there's something strangely satisfying about being able to quote every single line. It's gotta be one of the few live-action, non-Disney movies that's just pure joy for me to watch.

I've found that most people complain about part two but I always loved how it was so dark and showed the potential consequences of dabbling in time travel. I remember the first time watching it and piecing together why there was an alternate 1985. Really cool stuff.

And part three? At the time I thought a western sounded disappointing but come to find out, it was great. Not to mention Doc kicks so much ass in it. 8) When I was still living with my folks, any time one of these movies were on TV we'd drop everything to watch them. Fun times, great memories.
GloomyEeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GloomyEeyore »

The first one is my favorite, but I have never seen the second and third parts all the way through.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Cheese and all.

Oh... and more old age makeup on Lea Thompson after her Tales from the Crypt episode. :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_NKCCukN4
Last edited by Lazario on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

McFly! Wake up McFly! No one mentioned the Universal Studios ride movie. :D
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I like them in decreasing order. I would bet that I quote Part II the most, however.

"HOVERBOARDS DON'T WORK ON WATER! UNLESS YOU GOT POWAAAHH!!!"
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Having rewatched all three last summer, I can say that the first one definitely takes the cake as the best. The second one, which I had long put on par with the first, is a little bit silly but still great and very intelligent. The third one just doesn't resonate as much by simply giving existing characters identical ancestors. But I will admit, it's a pretty good movie and better than I've long given it credit for.

Still, I rank them like this:

1) BTTF
2) BTTF Part II

3) BTTF Part III