Cars 2 in 2011 and series of Cars shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

milojthatch wrote:
Kyle wrote:A similar thing happen after "Wall-E." I remember I once dated a girl from an extremely Conservative family that loved Pixar. They hadn't seen the film yet and I had just got it on DVD. So I played it and watched it with them. As the story became more clear in it's environmental story line, they one-by-one started to walk out on the movie and none of them wanted to watch anymore of it. They hated how "Liberal" it was and how it "was so liberal brain-washing." Personally, I think it was silly.
They sound like idiots.
As for the issue behind "Cars 2," I found it slightly ironic that a film that stars possibly the most red-neck, middle America character ever created, is in a film that lands a smack down on Big Oil. There is a kind of humor to it for thous who can see it.
I thought the Cars films appealed heavily to Middle America, which makes the accusations of "liberal brain-washing" even more ridiculous. The whole point of the first film was how people should be able to slow down and appreciate some of the finer more traditional aspects of the American culture. And Tow Mater was the host of that message. In the second film, Mater brings that small-town charm to the outside world. The battle with fuel choices was at most a minor part of the entire adventure.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah, DD, dont get too excited. we all pretty much saw it coming. It just came sooner than we thought.

That said, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun when I see this.

Edit: oops, i'm a little behind.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The whole liberal thing... :lol: Of course, it appealed to a conservative audience and then they got some ant-BigOil thing. "Um, could you take this back? We didn't order a liberal movie." :lol:
Disneyphile wrote:With an expected opening weekend gross of around $70M, it looks like those who are eagerly anticipating Pixar's first commercial flop will have to wait at least another year.
It'll be a long time before Pixar has a commercial flop. Even following the unpopular Pocahontas, it still took a while for Disney to get a flop.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Semaj wrote:
milojthatch wrote:A similar thing happen after "Wall-E." I remember I once dated a girl from an extremely Conservative family that loved Pixar. They hadn't seen the film yet and I had just got it on DVD. So I played it and watched it with them. As the story became more clear in it's environmental story line, they one-by-one started to walk out on the movie and none of them wanted to watch anymore of it. They hated how "Liberal" it was and how it "was so liberal brain-washing." Personally, I think it was silly.
They sound like idiots.
Needless to say, I didn't end up with that girl. A fact my wife is very happy about. :D

Semaj wrote:
As for the issue behind "Cars 2," I found it slightly ironic that a film that stars possibly the most red-neck, middle America character ever created, is in a film that lands a smack down on Big Oil. There is a kind of humor to it for thous who can see it.
I thought the Cars films appealed heavily to Middle America, which makes the accusations of "liberal brain-washing" even more ridiculous. The whole point of the first film was how people should be able to slow down and appreciate some of the finer more traditional aspects of the American culture. And Tow Mater was the host of that message. In the second film, Mater brings that small-town charm to the outside world. The battle with fuel choices was at most a minor part of the entire adventure.
LOL! Some people just like controversy I guess.

On a slightly different note, now that feelings on what kind of a film "Cars 2" was, lets talk about things in the film. Don't worry, I'll highlight it out for people who don't want spoilers.

Ok, so what did people think about the fact that they killed off Doc Hudson? I realize that in real life, the voice actor Paul Newman did pass away after the first movie was made, but George Carlin who played Fillmore originally passed away to, and yet they re-cast that character. Any thoughts on this?

Another thing, what did people think about Finn McMissile? A good add to the world of "Cars," or a dumb character. Personally, he was one of my favorite things about the film.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Semaj wrote:Also, there seems to be a (non) controversy regarding the film's "liberal agenda".

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mLitzqpxnG0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
........I uh. what why..we ....oh good gosh.......I don't want to post what i'm thinking right now due too much cursing of stupidity of politicians. ..I'll just let this picture speak for itself...of how I feel politically right now

milojthatch wrote:A similar thing happen after "Wall-E." I remember I once dated a girl from an extremely Conservative family that loved Pixar. They hadn't seen the film yet and I had just got it on DVD. So I played it and watched it with them. As the story became more clear in it's environmental story line, they one-by-one started to walk out on the movie and none of them wanted to watch anymore of it. They hated how "Liberal" it was and how it "was so liberal brain-washing." Personally, I think it was silly.
Semaj wrote: They sound like idiots.

I Will now Call Mr. Burns to the stand...not only the image...but he will also sing a song for us....regarding anyone who thinks Cars 2 is political propaganda

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/reH1o0eaIGw" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

milojthatch wrote:Ok, so what did people think about the fact that they killed off Doc Hudson? I realize that in real life, the voice actor Paul Newman did pass away after the first movie was made, but George Carlin who played Fillmore originally passed away to, and yet they re-cast that character. Any thoughts on this?

Another thing, what did people think about Finn McMissile? A good add to the world of "Cars," or a dumb character. Personally, he was one of my favorite things about the film.
I wasn't quite sure what they were saying about him actually, these other kids in the theater may have distracted me for just long enough that I missed a sentence or two during that scene. I felt that's what they were getting at, but wasnt completely sure if they killed him off or simply said he retired.

I think it makes sense that they would handle it the way they did, Doc was a far more significant character.
As for Fillmore, I didn't think the George Carlin replacement sounded much like him. Was it just me? His voice wasn't raspy enough.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

VA VROOM! 'Cars 2' Revs $68M Weekend
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/first-b ... ng-friday/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Guys, look nat the comments on the video. It's a fucking warzone of mudslinging. I know *I'm* gonna be attacked because I simply stated that fact and said I was liberal. Not to mention other obvious stuff. This is just insane.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Kyle wrote:
milojthatch wrote:Ok, so what did people think about the fact that they killed off Doc Hudson? I realize that in real life, the voice actor Paul Newman did pass away after the first movie was made, but George Carlin who played Fillmore originally passed away to, and yet they re-cast that character. Any thoughts on this?

I wasn't quite sure what they were saying about him actually, these other kids in the theater may have distracted me for just long enough that I missed a sentence or two during that scene. I felt that's what they were getting at, but wasnt completely sure if they killed him off or simply said he retired.

I think it makes sense that they would handle it the way they did, Doc was a far more significant character.
As for Fillmore, I didn't think the George Carlin replacement sounded much like him. Was it just me? His voice wasn't raspy enough.
Reason why I think they re-cast someone else as Fillmore even though George Carlin passed away. Some Spoilers in white below:

The one main reason I think they kept Fillmore is because given the plot of alternative fuel in the story and Fillmore is the head of alternatve fuel...so that makes sense to me..

Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'm not against recasting, I just think they could have matched George a bit better.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Kyle wrote:I'm not against recasting, I just think they could have matched George a bit better.
I didn't notice a difference....though that's probably because I haven't watched Cars in a while...maybe there's a youtube video that shows the comparison perhaps..

DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyDuster wrote:And then, does this demonstrate that everyone loved Pixar so blindly, that they instantly gave their latest movie an A, and then realized...oops, it's not really good...If so, this demonstrates exactly why Pixar needed a failure. To make people stop being so blind and finally see, to actually take a good look at their films and see if they really are good, not just love Pixar because it's Pixar.
To answer the first question, no. I haven't seen Cars 2 but every other Pixar film has justified the hype that surrounded them. So because Cars 2 is apparently bad, that takes away the quality of the Toy Story films, The Incredibles, WALL-E and Up? Audiences didn't love those films simply because Pixar made them, it was because they were genuinely good, sometimes brilliant, films that raised the standards of quality in animation. Maybe Cars 2 does prove that Pixar is fallible but it doesn't prove that for the past fifteen years, audiences have been "blind".
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Finn McMissile was by far my favorite character of the movie. Watching him though, I couldn't help but think how much better a James Bond-ish type movie with Incredibles style human characters would have been instead of a Cars sequel. You could have even kept the score and location choices.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Speaking of the score, it was sooo repetitive. I feel like they kept using the same 4 notes the entire movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pixar’s ‘Cars 2’ a Hit in Red States
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... s-2-205707

Box Office Report: 'Cars 2' Races Past 'Kung Fu Panda 2' Overseas
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... s-2-205706
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Had a pretty crummy weekend and didn't get to see this like I'd planned, might get to hit the theater tomorrow though. I'm kinda anxious to see for myself what's so "meh" about it. :p
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Cars 2′ Easter Eggs (Spoiler-Free Edition)
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-car ... ggs-16708/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wan't saying all their films in the past were bad. All I was rejoicing was that Pixar lost their perfect streak and perfect image, now it will never be quite perfect again.

It doesn't matter how much money or audience the film brings, as huge amounts of money and audience went to the likes of Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 just the same, none of it makes it a truly great film.

I am here at this forum called Ultimate Disney because I am a Disney fan, not a Pixar fan, so I'm going to have joy at what happened to Pixar because, let's face it, Pixar competes with Disney even though they are owned by Disney, a truly strange phenomenon but one that's present nonetheless.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

What ever happened to being fans of great movies? Why would you want any movie to be a bad one? It just seems pointlessly spiteful. A bad Pixar movie doesn't suddenly mean a better Disney movie is around the corner. This phenomenon is only present because your allowing to be, in your own mind.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Finn McMissile was by far my favorite character of the movie. Watching him though, I couldn't help but think how much better a James Bond-ish type movie with Incredibles style human characters would have been instead of a Cars sequel. You could have even kept the score and location choices.
YES! Exactly my thoughts during and after the movie.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs