Sleeping Beauty Platinum DVD Preview (Scans Added)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Thanks, once again, Mike!!!!

I'm so excited for the confirmation of Pinocchio!!!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Thanks so much for the caps, Mike!

I agree that the 2008 restoration looks rather soft. Then again, maybe this restoration doesn't screencap very well. The Peter Pan PE looks much sharper on all my displays than the screencaps I've seen of it online. Perhaps that's the same case with Sleeping Beauty. I'm not particularly worried for myself since I'm sure the BD will be razor sharp, but I'll still feel sorry for the DVD owners if Disney left them in the dust in favor of the BD.

I will say, though, that I prefer the colors of the PE over the SE. They seem to have more depth to them, and fleshtones look more natural. I also like that Aurora's hair is actually blonde rather than a greenish/grayish/goldish hue like in the SE.

Here are some screencap comparisons I made with Mike's caps. I made them a little small since I've congested enough SB threads with my comparisons. The 2003 SE is on the left, and the 2008 PE is on the right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The color of the Platinum is more intense but the image of thje Special Edition is more sharp (and better). Is this supposed to happen in restorations? :? :?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

sotiris2006 wrote:The color of the Platinum is more intense but the image of thje Special Edition is more sharp (and better). Is this supposed to happen in restorations? :? :?
i think it really depends on the program you use to take screencaps and also the quality you are taking them at. my guess is these do not fully show the sharpness of the actual film. i'm sure there will be a world of difference.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote: i think it really depends on the program you use to take screencaps and also the quality you are taking them at. my guess is these do not fully show the sharpness of the actual film. i'm sure there will be a world of difference.
You've got a point there. I hope you're right :D
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

Just uploaded all the sancs to that flickr set
check it out

ill post them here soon

set - http://flickr.com/photos/lighthousenews ... 401530118/

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I have a few thought/questions to throw out there...

1- If Disney were to restore this for a HD release on Blu-Ray, would that make it look a bit blurry and not as good on a regular DVD? I'm not really sure how all that works to be honest, but I know that it's harder to make something that's been modified for HD fit onto a regular DVD disc, so would that play a roll in the possibility of the images looking blurry?

2- If not the above thought, I dobt that Disney would make the mistake of making this release any less sharp than the previous since they are trying to promote this as "the High Definition Event of the Year". I think the company is smart enough to catch on if it weren't good enough. I'm pretty sure that it's just a matter of seeing it on yout screen at home/or your computer and seeing for yourself

Overall I like the colors of the PE a lot more, i just hope the images really are sharper than they appear.
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

Disneykid wrote:Thanks so much for the caps, Mike!

I agree that the 2008 restoration looks rather soft. Then again, maybe this restoration doesn't screencap very well. The Peter Pan PE looks much sharper on all my displays than the screencaps I've seen of it online. Perhaps that's the same case with Sleeping Beauty. I'm not particularly worried for myself since I'm sure the BD will be razor sharp, but I'll still feel sorry for the DVD owners if Disney left them in the dust in favor of the BD.

I will say, though, that I prefer the colors of the PE over the SE. They seem to have more depth to them, and fleshtones look more natural. I also like that Aurora's hair is actually blonde rather than a greenish/grayish/goldish hue like in the SE.

Here are some screencap comparisons I made with Mike's caps. I made them a little small since I've congested enough SB threads with my comparisons. The 2003 SE is on the left, and the 2008 PE is on the right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Thank you for that great work

I like the PE better then the SE
:)
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Thanks for the posts/scans LighthouseMike much appericated. Ok it's offical I'm gon'na purchase Sleepin Beauty:Platinum Edition might sell/keep my Special editon copy
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

sotiris2006 wrote:Thanks for the caps LHMike! :)

Could you please scan the insert with the disney advertisements and make some caps for the Pinocchio trailer as well? Many thankies :D

P.S Is the Princess and the Frog trailer the same with this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s
Yup
same one :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

and how's the Pinocchio trailer?? *looks at the next Platinum list* NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hopin for Fantasia to be next Platinum *grr* Curse the marketin skills of Disney......
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

sotiris2006 wrote:Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?
Based on what we already know from BBFC, press releases, and lighthousemike's caps of the inserts and menus, these are left out:
--Pan & Scan Version of the film

--Audio Documentary/Commentary: Hosted by Jeff Kurtti, with comments by production designer/background artist Eyvind Earle, voice actor Mary Costa, supervising animator Ollie Johnston (Three Good Fairies), supervising animator Marc Davis (Maleficent), background artist Frank Armitage, Pocahontas director Mike Gabriel, and Pocahontas art designer Michael Giaimo. The audio extracts are extended pieces from the interviews done for the 1998 featurette.

--Once Upon A Dream: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (16:22, 1998) - 1998 featurette made for the laserdisc and carried over to the DVD. Features all the people in the Audio Documentary/Commentary. Also features Ken Anderson (who I believe is not in the Audio Documentary/Commentary)

--The History of the Story (10 text-based stills, 2003)

--The 1951 Outline (22:41, 2003) - this awkwardly-presented feature was a woman reading the text pages of the 1951 outline, and on the DVD it couldn't be fast-forwarded, rewound, etc. Would've worked better as text-based stills.

--The Music (2:46, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Design (3:22, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--Creating the Backgrounds (1:07, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Restoration (2:57, 1998) - an excellent piece that looks at how the film was restored in 1998.

--Widescreen to Pan-and-Scan Comparison (3:50, 1998) - another excellent piece, showing the "Once Upon A Dream" sequence in widescreen to pan-and-scan comparison.

--Sleeping Beauty Virtual Galleries Docent Audio (80 stills, 26:14 runtime, 2003) - select stills from the galleries had special docent audio that explained each piece. None of them are carried over (as far as I know, I'd love for lighthousemike to prove me wrong)

--Theme Parks Gallery (26 stills) - has yet to be mentioned in the Art Galleries section on the new disc. I'm hoping lighthousemike will confirm it's present on the disc somewhere.

Anyway, regarding Disney's take on the aspect ratio, I can't help but laugh at their descriptions. "Expanded Version of the Film"? Seriously??? And that stuff in the insert, my god... rotfl

"For the first time ever, see Disney's masterpiece Sleeping Beauty the way Walt envisioned it with a never-before-seen expanded version of the film, which reveals more picture than ever before. This expansive version unveils images that no one has ever seen in theaters or home entertainment!"

The comparison picture they post is waaaaay misleading, it makes it seem like the pan&scan was the one widely seen in theatres and not the 70mm widescreen! It is true, however, that there is image no one has ever seen in theatres/home entertainment. I'll give them that. But I still can't believe the line about "the way Walt envisioned it" until there's more solid proof beyond a paid talking-head trying to sell something.

albert
Last edited by Escapay on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneystarsfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneystarsfan »

Escapay wrote:
sotiris2006 wrote:Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?
Based on what we already know from BBFC, press releases, and lighthousemike's caps of the inserts and menus, these are left out:
--Pan & Scan Version of the film

--Audio Documentary/Commentary: Hosted by Jeff Kurtti, with comments by production designer/background artist Eyvind Earle, voice actor Mary Costa, supervising animator Ollie Johnston (Three Good Fairies), supervising animator Marc Davis (Maleficent), background artist Frank Armitage, Pocahontas director Mike Gabriel, and Pocahontas art designer Michael Giaimo. The audio extracts are extended pieces from the interviews done for the 1998 featurette.

--Once Upon A Dream: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (16:22, 1998) - 1998 featurette made for the laserdisc and carried over to the DVD. Features all the people in the Audio Documentary/Commentary. Also features Ken Anderson (who I believe is not in the Audio Documentary/Commentary)

--The History of the Story (10 text-based stills, 2003)

--The 1951 Outline (22:41, 2003) - this awkwardly-presented feature was a woman reading the text pages of the 1951 outline, and on the DVD it couldn't be fast-forwarded, rewound, etc. Would've worked better as text-based stills.

--The Music (2:46, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Design (3:22, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--Creating the Backgrounds (1:07, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Restoration (2:57, 1998) - an excellent piece that looks at how the film was restored in 1998.

--Widescreen to Pan-and-Scan Comparison (3:50, 1998) - another excellent piece, showing the "Once Upon A Dream" sequence in widescreen to pan-and-scan comparison.

--Sleeping Beauty Virtual Galleries Docent Audio (80 stills, 26:14 runtime, 2003) - select stills from the galleries had special docent audio that explained each piece. None of them are carried over (as far as I know, I'd love for lighthousemike to prove me wrong)

--Theme Parks Gallery (26 stills) - has yet to be mentioned in the Art Galleries section on the new disc. I'm hoping lighthousemike will confirm it's present on the disc somewhere.

Anyway, regarding Disney's take on the aspect ratio, I can't help but laugh at their descriptions. "Expanded Version of the Film"? Seriously??? Talk about avoiding addressing the dilemma of animated vs. theatrical aspect ratio! rotfl

albert
so these features that were that were left out will be on the blu-ray right?
Disney Animation is the Best!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

disneystarsfan wrote:so these features that were that were left out will be on the blu-ray right?
They won't even be on the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Thanks for the scans, Mike. It all looks great.
L&E

Post by L&E »

Caps and scans are lovely! Thank you so much!

On the other side (I don't know if you are able to do this) but please, PLEASE lighthousemike this is our most desperate hour. Could you please tell us what spanish dubbing they included? The easiest way is to select the spanish track and see the credits at the end. I don't know if you could even take a clip of the spanish track so we could verify which dubbing is.

Here's a link to the original 1959 spanish dubbing (which is the best spanish dubbing ever made and it was lost on 2001 with an AWFUL re-dubbing). This is kinda speed-up because the audio was taken from a PAL VHS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRTBkuNawY

I would be eternally GREATFUL if you could clear this out.
The Art of Sleeping Beauty is a blog dedicated to one of the most enchanting Disney Classics.
http://theartofsleepingbeauty.blogspot.com/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Escapay wrote:The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.
Just that? Couldn't they do smt better? How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?
Btw, that BD Live sounds dumb to me. Why would anyone want to chat, mail etc while watching the movie? Wouldn't that distract them? And can't they do that already on their computers? And would someone please tell disney that NOONE cares about those stupid games that even 10 year olds reject? Newsflash: Kids these days have a gazillion video game consoles where they can play "real" games.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

sotiris2006 wrote:How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?
Well, the high-quality a/v presentation is a big selling point for a lot of people upgrading.

Also, Cine-Explorer is a very good bonus feature (so I've read). It's like the Visual Commentaries found on Atlantis and Treasure Planet, or the behind-the-scenes pods in the SCE of Titanic. It's been used already on the Blu-Ray releases for Cars and Ratatouille. Warner has something similar, I believe, with the In-Movie Experience.

Barring the soundtrack restoration piece, the rest seem like a waste to me and is more gimmicky than practical.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

sotiris2006 wrote:
Escapay wrote:The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.
Just that? Couldn't they do smt better? How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?
Btw, that BD Live sounds dumb to me. Why would anyone want to chat, mail etc while watching the movie? Wouldn't that distract them? And can't they do that already on their computers? And would someone please tell disney that NOONE cares about those stupid games that even 10 year olds reject? Newsflash: Kids these days have a gazillion video game consoles where they can play "real" games.
I agree with you 100%!
That is why I have no plans in upgrading to Blu-ray anytime soon.
The prices REALLY need to drop before I go and start to by Blu-ray discs!

I am still keeping my 2-Disc Special Edition DVD.
NO plans in giving it away or selling it. :)