DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:24 pm 
Offline
Diamond Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:43 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: USA
Thanks, once again, Mike!!!!

I'm so excited for the confirmation of Pinocchio!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:06 pm 
Offline
Diamond Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:10 am
Posts: 4816
Location: Wonderland
Thanks so much for the caps, Mike!

I agree that the 2008 restoration looks rather soft. Then again, maybe this restoration doesn't screencap very well. The Peter Pan PE looks much sharper on all my displays than the screencaps I've seen of it online. Perhaps that's the same case with Sleeping Beauty. I'm not particularly worried for myself since I'm sure the BD will be razor sharp, but I'll still feel sorry for the DVD owners if Disney left them in the dust in favor of the BD.

I will say, though, that I prefer the colors of the PE over the SE. They seem to have more depth to them, and fleshtones look more natural. I also like that Aurora's hair is actually blonde rather than a greenish/grayish/goldish hue like in the SE.

Here are some screencap comparisons I made with Mike's caps. I made them a little small since I've congested enough SB threads with my comparisons. The 2003 SE is on the left, and the 2008 PE is on the right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

_________________
Kelvin
Image
My Blu-ray Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:15 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 17634
The color of the Platinum is more intense but the image of thje Special Edition is more sharp (and better). Is this supposed to happen in restorations? :? :?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:36 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 631
Location: dfs
sotiris2006 wrote:
The color of the Platinum is more intense but the image of thje Special Edition is more sharp (and better). Is this supposed to happen in restorations? :? :?


i think it really depends on the program you use to take screencaps and also the quality you are taking them at. my guess is these do not fully show the sharpness of the actual film. i'm sure there will be a world of difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:51 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 17634
nomad2010 wrote:
i think it really depends on the program you use to take screencaps and also the quality you are taking them at. my guess is these do not fully show the sharpness of the actual film. i'm sure there will be a world of difference.


You've got a point there. I hope you're right :D

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:00 pm 
Offline
Gold Classic Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 244
Location: Manhattan,NY
Just uploaded all the sancs to that flickr set
check it out

ill post them here soon

set - http://flickr.com/photos/lighthousenews ... 401530118/

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:19 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: The Land of Lincoln
I have a few thought/questions to throw out there...

1- If Disney were to restore this for a HD release on Blu-Ray, would that make it look a bit blurry and not as good on a regular DVD? I'm not really sure how all that works to be honest, but I know that it's harder to make something that's been modified for HD fit onto a regular DVD disc, so would that play a roll in the possibility of the images looking blurry?

2- If not the above thought, I dobt that Disney would make the mistake of making this release any less sharp than the previous since they are trying to promote this as "the High Definition Event of the Year". I think the company is smart enough to catch on if it weren't good enough. I'm pretty sure that it's just a matter of seeing it on yout screen at home/or your computer and seeing for yourself

Overall I like the colors of the PE a lot more, i just hope the images really are sharper than they appear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:21 pm 
Offline
Gold Classic Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 244
Location: Manhattan,NY
Disneykid wrote:
Thanks so much for the caps, Mike!

I agree that the 2008 restoration looks rather soft. Then again, maybe this restoration doesn't screencap very well. The Peter Pan PE looks much sharper on all my displays than the screencaps I've seen of it online. Perhaps that's the same case with Sleeping Beauty. I'm not particularly worried for myself since I'm sure the BD will be razor sharp, but I'll still feel sorry for the DVD owners if Disney left them in the dust in favor of the BD.

I will say, though, that I prefer the colors of the PE over the SE. They seem to have more depth to them, and fleshtones look more natural. I also like that Aurora's hair is actually blonde rather than a greenish/grayish/goldish hue like in the SE.

Here are some screencap comparisons I made with Mike's caps. I made them a little small since I've congested enough SB threads with my comparisons. The 2003 SE is on the left, and the 2008 PE is on the right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage


Thank you for that great work

I like the PE better then the SE
:)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 2017
Location: Pacific city, Oregon
Thanks for the posts/scans LighthouseMike much appericated. Ok it's offical I'm gon'na purchase Sleepin Beauty:Platinum Edition might sell/keep my Special editon copy

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
Offline
Gold Classic Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 244
Location: Manhattan,NY
sotiris2006 wrote:
Thanks for the caps LHMike! :)

Could you please scan the insert with the disney advertisements and make some caps for the Pinocchio trailer as well? Many thankies :D

P.S Is the Princess and the Frog trailer the same with this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s


Yup
same one :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 17634
Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:34 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 2017
Location: Pacific city, Oregon
and how's the Pinocchio trailer?? *looks at the next Platinum list* NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hopin for Fantasia to be next Platinum *grr* Curse the marketin skills of Disney......

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:51 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12532
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
sotiris2006 wrote:
Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?

Based on what we already know from BBFC, press releases, and lighthousemike's caps of the inserts and menus, these are left out:
--Pan & Scan Version of the film

--Audio Documentary/Commentary: Hosted by Jeff Kurtti, with comments by production designer/background artist Eyvind Earle, voice actor Mary Costa, supervising animator Ollie Johnston (Three Good Fairies), supervising animator Marc Davis (Maleficent), background artist Frank Armitage, Pocahontas director Mike Gabriel, and Pocahontas art designer Michael Giaimo. The audio extracts are extended pieces from the interviews done for the 1998 featurette.

--Once Upon A Dream: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (16:22, 1998) - 1998 featurette made for the laserdisc and carried over to the DVD. Features all the people in the Audio Documentary/Commentary. Also features Ken Anderson (who I believe is not in the Audio Documentary/Commentary)

--The History of the Story (10 text-based stills, 2003)

--The 1951 Outline (22:41, 2003) - this awkwardly-presented feature was a woman reading the text pages of the 1951 outline, and on the DVD it couldn't be fast-forwarded, rewound, etc. Would've worked better as text-based stills.

--The Music (2:46, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Design (3:22, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--Creating the Backgrounds (1:07, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Restoration (2:57, 1998) - an excellent piece that looks at how the film was restored in 1998.

--Widescreen to Pan-and-Scan Comparison (3:50, 1998) - another excellent piece, showing the "Once Upon A Dream" sequence in widescreen to pan-and-scan comparison.

--Sleeping Beauty Virtual Galleries Docent Audio (80 stills, 26:14 runtime, 2003) - select stills from the galleries had special docent audio that explained each piece. None of them are carried over (as far as I know, I'd love for lighthousemike to prove me wrong)

--Theme Parks Gallery (26 stills) - has yet to be mentioned in the Art Galleries section on the new disc. I'm hoping lighthousemike will confirm it's present on the disc somewhere.

Anyway, regarding Disney's take on the aspect ratio, I can't help but laugh at their descriptions. "Expanded Version of the Film"? Seriously??? And that stuff in the insert, my god... rotfl

"For the first time ever, see Disney's masterpiece Sleeping Beauty the way Walt envisioned it with a never-before-seen expanded version of the film, which reveals more picture than ever before. This expansive version unveils images that no one has ever seen in theaters or home entertainment!"

The comparison picture they post is waaaaay misleading, it makes it seem like the pan&scan was the one widely seen in theatres and not the 70mm widescreen! It is true, however, that there is image no one has ever seen in theatres/home entertainment. I'll give them that. But I still can't believe the line about "the way Walt envisioned it" until there's more solid proof beyond a paid talking-head trying to sell something.

albert

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?


Last edited by Escapay on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 pm 
Offline
Gold Classic Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:04 am
Posts: 187
Location: Genie's Lamp
Escapay wrote:
sotiris2006 wrote:
Question: Are all the Bonus Features from the Special Edition transfered to the Platinum or was something left out?

Based on what we already know from BBFC, press releases, and lighthousemike's caps of the inserts and menus, these are left out:
--Pan & Scan Version of the film

--Audio Documentary/Commentary: Hosted by Jeff Kurtti, with comments by production designer/background artist Eyvind Earle, voice actor Mary Costa, supervising animator Ollie Johnston (Three Good Fairies), supervising animator Marc Davis (Maleficent), background artist Frank Armitage, Pocahontas director Mike Gabriel, and Pocahontas art designer Michael Giaimo. The audio extracts are extended pieces from the interviews done for the 1998 featurette.

--Once Upon A Dream: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (16:22, 1998) - 1998 featurette made for the laserdisc and carried over to the DVD. Features all the people in the Audio Documentary/Commentary. Also features Ken Anderson (who I believe is not in the Audio Documentary/Commentary)

--The History of the Story (10 text-based stills, 2003)

--The 1951 Outline (22:41, 2003) - this awkwardly-presented feature was a woman reading the text pages of the 1951 outline, and on the DVD it couldn't be fast-forwarded, rewound, etc. Would've worked better as text-based stills.

--The Music (2:46, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Design (3:22, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--Creating the Backgrounds (1:07, 1998) - brief interviews not used in the featurette

--The Restoration (2:57, 1998) - an excellent piece that looks at how the film was restored in 1998.

--Widescreen to Pan-and-Scan Comparison (3:50, 1998) - another excellent piece, showing the "Once Upon A Dream" sequence in widescreen to pan-and-scan comparison.

--Sleeping Beauty Virtual Galleries Docent Audio (80 stills, 26:14 runtime, 2003) - select stills from the galleries had special docent audio that explained each piece. None of them are carried over (as far as I know, I'd love for lighthousemike to prove me wrong)

--Theme Parks Gallery (26 stills) - has yet to be mentioned in the Art Galleries section on the new disc. I'm hoping lighthousemike will confirm it's present on the disc somewhere.

Anyway, regarding Disney's take on the aspect ratio, I can't help but laugh at their descriptions. "Expanded Version of the Film"? Seriously??? Talk about avoiding addressing the dilemma of animated vs. theatrical aspect ratio! rotfl

albert


so these features that were that were left out will be on the blu-ray right?

_________________
Disney Animation is the Best!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:58 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12532
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
disneystarsfan wrote:
so these features that were that were left out will be on the blu-ray right?

They won't even be on the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.

albert

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:47 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 2262
Location: The Gator Nation!
Thanks for the scans, Mike. It all looks great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:29 am
Posts: 39
Caps and scans are lovely! Thank you so much!


On the other side (I don't know if you are able to do this) but please, PLEASE lighthousemike this is our most desperate hour. Could you please tell us what spanish dubbing they included? The easiest way is to select the spanish track and see the credits at the end. I don't know if you could even take a clip of the spanish track so we could verify which dubbing is.

Here's a link to the original 1959 spanish dubbing (which is the best spanish dubbing ever made and it was lost on 2001 with an AWFUL re-dubbing). This is kinda speed-up because the audio was taken from a PAL VHS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRTBkuNawY

I would be eternally GREATFUL if you could clear this out.

_________________
Image
The Art of Sleeping Beauty is a blog dedicated to one of the most enchanting Disney Classics.
http://theartofsleepingbeauty.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 17634
Escapay wrote:
The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.


Just that? Couldn't they do smt better? How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?
Btw, that BD Live sounds dumb to me. Why would anyone want to chat, mail etc while watching the movie? Wouldn't that distract them? And can't they do that already on their computers? And would someone please tell disney that NOONE cares about those stupid games that even 10 year olds reject? Newsflash: Kids these days have a gazillion video game consoles where they can play "real" games.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:10 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12532
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
sotiris2006 wrote:
How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?

Well, the high-quality a/v presentation is a big selling point for a lot of people upgrading.

Also, Cine-Explorer is a very good bonus feature (so I've read). It's like the Visual Commentaries found on Atlantis and Treasure Planet, or the behind-the-scenes pods in the SCE of Titanic. It's been used already on the Blu-Ray releases for Cars and Ratatouille. Warner has something similar, I believe, with the In-Movie Experience.

Barring the soundtrack restoration piece, the rest seem like a waste to me and is more gimmicky than practical.

albert

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:11 pm 
Offline
Anniversary Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:33 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: New Jersey, USA
sotiris2006 wrote:
Escapay wrote:
The Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is a game, the Visual Commentary/Cine-Explorer option, BD-Live stuff (trivia game, chat, mail, rewards), and a featurette about restoring the soundtrack.


Just that? Couldn't they do smt better? How are they supposed to convince consumers (which i believe they are mainly fans and collectors and not little kids) to upgrade to blue-ray with so little?
Btw, that BD Live sounds dumb to me. Why would anyone want to chat, mail etc while watching the movie? Wouldn't that distract them? And can't they do that already on their computers? And would someone please tell disney that NOONE cares about those stupid games that even 10 year olds reject? Newsflash: Kids these days have a gazillion video game consoles where they can play "real" games.


I agree with you 100%!
That is why I have no plans in upgrading to Blu-ray anytime soon.
The prices REALLY need to drop before I go and start to by Blu-ray discs!

I am still keeping my 2-Disc Special Edition DVD.
NO plans in giving it away or selling it. :)

_________________
Check Out My Disney Music Videos now in HQ! :mickeyface:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group