New York, New York

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

New York, New York

Post by Jeffel »

Right, I'm a Brit and most of you lot seem to be Americans so maybe I can get me some help.

I'm going to New York for a week at the end of August but I'm going solo (!) and I don't want to be stabbed. What are the chances of this? I'm sure the place is nowhere near as dangerous as the movies would have us believe but all the same, I'm guessing that wondering around the Bronx at 3am isn't the best idea in the world.

So tips on not dying would be cool, but also the travel side of things... how do people get around? The subway? And can that get you pretty much anywhere within New York City?

I've got plans for a few things I want to do, got tickets for the US Open and to see WWE at Madison Square Garden (I'm not really a wrestling fan but I bet it'll be a good laugh) but any ideas for good places to go would be good. Which is the best zoo? There seem to be hundreds of the things. I like zoos with a good monkey collection if that helps.

So yes, to anyone who lives in or has visited New York, give me your help, advice, and cunning tips.

Thanks!

Oh, tips, that reminds me. How does the tipping system work over there? Do you tip everyone? Can I get away with not tipping anyone if I say I'm poor or will the porters steal my bags from my hotel room whilst I'm out?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

There are at least 25 cities deemed more dangerous in the United States: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Getting stabbed probably shouldn't be too high on your list of concerns.

As for getting around, subway gets the job done and there are also city buses which take the same fare and keep you above ground. Of course, they've got to deal with traffic, generally a non-issue for express subways.

While not monkeys, The Bronx Zoo has a great gorilla forest called Congo that I'd recommend. Alas, it's up in the Bronx and if you're mainly spending time around Manhattan, you might find the much smaller and less special Central Park Zoo sufficient.
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

Well I want to go up Bronx way to check out Yankee Stadium before they decide to smash it up so maybe I'll check out the funky monkeys at the same time. Ta!
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

And wow, Orlando is the 11th most dangerous? It's just a load of theme parks, what could go wrong there.

And Kansas is on the list too. That's because of the hurricane trouble right? People being flung off to Oz left, right and centre.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Well, you have to go see a Broadway show. I mean..you have to.

List of the best musicals (in my opinion, of course):

RENT (It's closing in September, so you should probably see it.)
Wicked
Legally Blonde: The Musical
[title of show]
The Lion King
The Little Mermaid
Mary Poppins
The Phantom of the Opera
Gypsy
South Pacific

If you want to listen to any of these show's soundtracks, PM me and I'll gladly upload them for you.

Have fun!
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

Yeah, I was thinking of seeing a show. I'd rather see something that I can't see in London though because I can just pop down there to see something anytime. Well, not any time, it's expensive, but y'know.

I've seen Wicked, that was great, so I'd be happy to see anything like that.

I've heard Xanadu is good, what do you think? The poster is very pink and sparkley though and I'm scared I won't come out of it straight.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

If you like "Wicked", you might as well see "Phantom of the Opera", they're both pretty much the same.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

No offense but if you're straight you might not "appreciate" the whole Xanadu "experience" but then I could be wrong... I loved the show but then I'm gay as a goose!

jon
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

Why does the gayest show have the most attractive woman on the poster? There is no logic to this!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

If you don't want to see a show that it's London, don't see:

Wicked
Legally Blonde (It's coming to London with Laura Bell Bundy as Elle Woods. Laura was the original Elle on Broadway.)
The Phantom of the Opera
Mary Poppins

How many shows do you plan on seeing? I'd see at least two.

See RENT because it's fantastic, and it's closing. Rent the movie to get a feel of what it's like.
You obviously have seen The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, and Mary Poppins, so if you like the films, you'd probably like the stage adaptions.

Gypsy, South Pacific, and A Chorus Line are all revivals, so this might be you're only chance to get to see them.

[title of show] just opened to mostly positive reviews. It's about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical. :P

I'd say to see these:

RENT
The Lion King

If you can see more than two, it'd go like this:

RENT
The Lion King
Gypsy
A Chorus Line
The Little Mermaid
[title of show]
Xanadu (Especially now that Whoopi Goldberg has joined)
In the Heights

In the Heights is also fantastic. I forgot to mention that one.

Let us know which one you decide on!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

HA HA! Don't tell me you've never seen the film Xanadu (1980)? The lovely Kerry Butler plays Kira in the show who was played in the film by the one & only Olivia Newton-John! This show is a gay nirvana!!! Loved it! If you're st8 I can't explain it to you! :D

jon
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Really, I like [title of show], but unless you're a theatre person, half the jokes will go over your head.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I used to live in I can give you a few tips, First dont look like a tourist, if you act nervous then you may get noticed, Visit Central Park during the day not the night, They had a zoo there when I was a kid, dont know if its still there, but I assume it is still there, The Bronx Zoo is my favorite zoo in the country, see the Statue of Liberty, Empire States Building, Wall Street, Hayden Planetarium, Museum of Natural History, Check the schedules to make sure the Yankees are there also Check the Mets, Shea Stadium is also be torn down, Rockafeller Center, Eat some Pizza, Fao Schwartz, plus many other museums, Good luck trying to see the WWE at the Garden, I dont know how often they go there anymore
Dark Knight Rulez
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

Tipping, At a resturant standard tip is 15%, if it is really good service you may want to go more like 20, bad service give less
Tip Bus Biys a buck or 2 if they help with luggage, same with Taxi Drivers, a few bucks. If you go to a Bar normally you tip a buck a drink, same with an usher a buck is normally good
Dark Knight Rulez
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Wow, living somewhat close to New York, I feel like I haven't gone there enough and experienced everything you need to. I've only been to Times Square, Broadway, 5th Avenue, and the Statue of Liberty...

I can't really recommend other places to see other than that, but I seriously wouldn't worry about getting stabbed or dangerous crime if you just plan on visiting the touristy parts of New York. There's too many people around for any funny characters to try anything stupid. Speaking of being a tourist, try not to look like one as memnv said. Make sure to put your wallet in your front pants pocket and don't show off with designer clothes, bags, etc. Back when I was little, my mom's Dooney and Burke bag got slashed and some money was stolen and we didn't even notice until we were having ice cream in McDonalds. If you really want to not be bothered, dress like a hobo! :wink:

If you want some good desserts, head to Junior's on Broadway. We went there before we saw Tarzan and their cheesecake was really yummy. If you're dining in a restaurant in NYC, be prepared to spend a lot even on simple things. We went to the Olive Garden and the menu items were priced at twice as much as their smaller locations.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

If you're into wooden roller coasters, the one-and-only original Coney Island Cyclone can be found in Brooklyn!

http://www.rcdb.com/ig222.htm
http://www.rcdb.com/id222.htm

And Great Adventure, a large theme park with a ton of coasters, owned by Six Flags, is not far away (Jackson, NJ)

http://www.rcdb.com/pd6.htm
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

memnv wrote: Good luck trying to see the WWE at the Garden, I dont know how often they go there anymore
I've already booked tickets for that so I'm feeling pretty confident :-)

Yankees are playing the Red Sox too so Im looking to get tickets for that on Stubhub. They seem to be a trustworthy site from what Ive read and they're official partners with the MLB from what I can tell.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I've thought of two more things:

Go to Madame Tussaud's Celebrity Wax Museum, and the World of Disney store!
LindaMYoung
Limited Issue

Post by LindaMYoung »

PeterPanfan wrote:Well, you have to go see a Broadway show. I mean..you have to.
You should try to go see CURTAINS, a murder mystery musical. David Hyde Pierce plays the lead.

But then I'm prejudiced because a friend of mine did the book... :)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

"Curtains" has been closed for some time.

I would argue that Madame Tussaud's is not really an important place to spend time in New York, but... I suppose enough people think it is.

Having been to New York several times, I really think the "put your wallet in your front pocket and don't wear fancy clothes" isn't really that relevant. I mean, if you're hanging in some God-forsaken alley at like 4 AM, sure, but if you're wandering the streets during the day, and especially in crowded areas, you're fine. Just don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk and gape like an idiot at the tall buildings. Not only is it stupid, it annoys the crap out of everyone. But it's really not that dangerous of a place, unless you happen to visit it in the 1980's.