Pinocchio Platinum Edition Discussion Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Pinocchio Platinum Edition Discussion Thread

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Pincchio will be (about time) the next Platinum Edition after Sleeping Beauty,anyone is exited?.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I very much am. I don't own this movie in any form, so the sooner I get it, the better. It's been ages since I've seen it...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Agreed! I haven't seen it since I was little. I always thought it was really scary.... :lol:
Barty
Limited Issue

Post by Barty »

As a start, an indication of what the restoration might be like:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0
C = PINOCCHIO 2003 UK DVD [Lowry restoration released overseas but not in the US]
I'm hoping for a better restoration though, and less compression than on that awful UK disc :P and probably even in 1080p Blu-ray? :D
SleepingBeautyAurora
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora »

I saw Pinocchio recently but I am still excited for the Platinum Edition even if it is a year away. It has some wonderful songs in it such as "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "Hi Diddle Dee Dee". They better not edit the movie in anyway particularly the smoking and drinking. Do you think they will edit the film ???
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I don't think they will edit the film, but you never now with Disney. I wouldn't care if there's an "edited" version on the DVD, as long as the original is still on it.
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

Wouldnt' an edit of the movie, the two things that come to my mind are the smoking and the use of the word jackass, even though it is politically correct term but this is Disney and we all know parents these days. These edits would take out chunks of the movie would it not? I don't think Disney can touch this one w/o really messing up the film as a whole.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
SNERWW22785

Post by SNERWW22785 »

From an interview Dick Cook gave in November 07:
Box Office Mojo: Will you omit Pinocchio smoking in future releases?

Dick Cook: No. We're not taking away from anything that's already been done. We're not taking smoking away from Cruella in 101 Dalmatians—that's just a part of it and that's history. We're not going to have smoking in a Disney movie going forward.
"The Poor Captain Has a Splitting Headache...We musn't Annoy Him!"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The Pincchio edition that came out in the UK from a while back was a Special Edition; did the rest of the world not have one ?

And it was quite a big release over here; almost as big as an October / March 'Special Edition' release (the UK version of a Platinum). Was there any reason why it hasnt been released in the US ?

As I always wondered on here why people were very pumped for this release, as its been availible over here for a while, and you can see it around quite often in exchange DVD places.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Praise God and Hallelujah, I can't wait ...!! "Pinocchio" is my absolute favorite Disney movie.

I hope that they include something about the complete music score as a bonus feature; my Mom used to play a song about Monstro the whale all the time when I was a kid that never made it into the movie.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

You know, Pinocchio has never been on of my favorite Disney films, but the Platinum Edition line has a way of making movies shine like never before. There are a couple of Disney films I own on Platinum Edition, that I didn't care for as much before the PE release. I will be very excited to add this film to my collection and give it another shot - the bonus features always give me a greater appreciation of the for the film.
SpaceAce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SpaceAce »

I cant wait! Pinocchio is one of my favorites. They use to play this and Sword and the Stone alot when I was in school. :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pinocchio Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

HEY, Ultimate Disney's front page said that Pinocchio has been released to DVD twice. I thought it was only a Gold Collection! Or does Ultimate Disney mean the Gold Collection and the UK Special Edition? LOTS o films have been released in different ways on different formats in different countries. Is that really what UD was talking about? Luke, Aaron?
SpaceAce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SpaceAce »

The other was the Limited Issue.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pinocchio Platinum Edition?

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you SpaceAge! I just did a search and realized the cover was taken from the Limited Issue for the Gold Collection! Ah! Was there any difference between the Limited and Gold versions?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Speaking of cover art, I'm already salivating at the wonderful possibilities for the cover art for this release. It hasn't been released in quite some time so an update is long overdue. I'm hoping that Figaro and Cleo make the cover, because I really like them. Platinum Edition covers like to pack the cover with many of the films different characters, so I'm sure they will make it.

Any other thoughts or ideas on what the cover art should look like?
SleepingBeautyAurora
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora »

I wonder if Foulfellow and Gideon will make it onto the cover art ?
SpaceAce
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Pinocchio Platinum Edition?

Post by SpaceAce »

Disney Duster wrote:Thank you SpaceAge! I just did a search and realized the cover was taken from the Limited Issue for the Gold Collection! Ah! Was there any difference between the Limited and Gold versions?
according to the OOP list the Gold Collection version was just a repackage of the Limited Issue.

http://ultimatedisney.com/OOP.htm
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

I love Pinocchio, I only own the very now rare and collected Black Diamond Classic Collection, So I need Pinoc.
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

chadhobbick wrote:Wouldnt' an edit of the movie, the two things that come to my mind are the smoking and the use of the word jackass.... I don't think Disney can touch this one w/o really messing up the film as a whole.
I JUST saw this movie for the 1st time over the weekend. My mom bought all these Disney VHS tapes for me and I was so thrilled this is one of them, as I don't remember seeing the movie as a kid (and my mom doesn't remember taking me).

Anyway, either I am so jaded or just non-observant but I don't recall where in the movie they say "jackass" (I suppose it was when the kids on the island were turning into them?). I agree, I hope they don't edit the scenes out. But I think they could bleep jackass (insert or replace the word) without it altering the film. I hope they don't but I don't think it would be very hard for them to do it.

But the other important question is:

**Will this be a 2-disc DVD?**

I just came from Jim Hill Media and read that Disney will no longer be releasing 2-disc DVDs!!! Did you guys hear about this:

<a href="http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... >.....Look, I know that that sounds a little cold-hearted. But the way I hear it, that's actually why WDHE opted to go with single disk editions of all of the new Disney / Pixar releases. Because that's what parents really wanted.....</b></i></a>

I don't really mean to high-jack the thread, but this is a big blow if all the Platinum editions here on out are going to be no-thrills single-disc versions. :D
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training