Up (2009 Pixar film) discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I loved the trailer.

I feel as if there going to be something magical about it, and the trailer has barely showed it. The minute those balloons appeared and lifted the house I knew that this was going to be a different type of film, one that plants itself in reality but has a lot of Pixar charm.

I can't wait :) .
ImageImageImageImage

Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

The trailer is pretty cute. I'll admit though, I don't think this film has the appeal of say Toy Story or Finding Nemo, but it looks cute. Pixar doesn't often disappoint (cough**CARS**cough) so I'm sure it will be good.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Found some stuff about Pixar:

"Siggraph: Pixar animation software to get boost on Windows supercomputers

August 13, 2008 (Computerworld) The rendering software behind such hit animated movies as The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Monsters Inc. should become even more powerful when it becomes available on Microsoft Corp.'s most advanced operating systems later this year.

"Let's put it this way, your graphics pros, your render wranglers, they just got their headroom doubled," Needham wrote.

According to Microsoft, HPC Server 2008 can support systems that scale to thousands of processor cores, and it includes faster networking capabilities and more powerful cluster management tools than prior versions offered."

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9112545

We can be pretty sure this will be used in future movies, but is there still time to use it on Up? The release is still months away, and i guess there is still much to be done.
More computer power means better images, and hopefully a better looking human skin, which really needs improvements in my opinion.

Disney's supercomputer ranks as number 488 in the world, but what it is for Pixar, I can't say.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I thought Pixar was an Apple supporter, you know, with their ties with Steve Jobs.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Trailer Links - Direct download, Right click and "Save ... As":

http://movies.apple.com/movies/disney/u ... _h640w.mov Large - 17.7 MB
http://movies.apple.com/movies/disney/u ... _h480p.mov 480p - 26.7 MB
http://movies.apple.com/movies/disney/u ... _h720p.mov 720p - 78.4 MB
http://movies.apple.com/movies/disney/u ... h1080p.mov 1080p - 120.7 MB

Looks like a cool film.

Enjoy
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think I'm really going to enojy this film. Pixar seems to really understand that animated films can be for the whole family. I hope after Bolt disney gets a clue. I saw an article from Disney saying that Bolt's target audience was 4-8. Good for pixar for not limiting themselves to children.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

It appears like Pixar is lojal to both Apple and Microsoft. Probably because Microsoft is so powerful and influential that it is impossible to make an animated movie without using a least some of their products, even if you're a rival.

And about the trailer. When it look on his ears, they looks like they could have been a little rounder. It could be because the movie is still not finished, and this is taken directly from the unfinished material. No matter what, it feels like it will become a very visual movie. Who hasn't dreamt about living in some floating house or whatever, being able to see all kinds of beautyful and wide landscapes, stretching in all directions under them? Travel through clouds while sitting in the chair, staring out the window, and each new day brings a new panorame view of the world, from farmland to forests? That's what they did in James and the Giant Peach, althought this time, the bird's-eye view will be even more impressive.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

singerguy04 wrote:I saw an article from Disney saying that Bolt's target audience was 4-8.
Differentiate between the Disney marketing machine and Walt Disney Animation Studios. :wink:

The former may claim one thing, but I'm pretty sure Byron Howard and Chris Williams want adults to see their film.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

this is the first Pixar teaser/trailer that does nothing for me.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the filmas much as every Pixar film, but I'm not jumping with excitement like for Ratatouille or WALL-E
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

^actually that's kinda true for me too.

I didn't notice at the tune, but although I enjoyed the trailer, I didn't get that same level of excitement for the film.

Maybe its because I've seen some promo material before hand, so it wasn't all very new to me.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

I like that I have no idea where the story is headed. It reminds me of Andrew Stanton's comments from the recent <a href="http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... 1">Variety profile</a>:

" 'Toy Story' was fueled by this frustration that inside Hollywood, they were beginning to solidify the elements of successful animated pictures and turning them into rules," Stanton explains. "We had this little cheat-sheet list for ourselves that said, 'No love story. No villain. No "I Want" song. No happy village.'"
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://thedisneyblog.com/2008/12/15/new ... p-website/

New Clip Easter Egg on UP website
by John Frost

A new clip previewing a few “dramatic” moments from the next film from Pixar has been released on the official website for ‘Up’. The scene features Carl (Ed Asner) discovering Russell (Jordon Nagai) on the porch.

To see the clip click on the house dangling below the balloons then wait as the clip loads into the browser. Alas, there appears to be no way to resize or view the clip in a smaller format, so those with slow computers or web connections lose out. But those who are able to view it are in for a treat!

I didn't watch the clip yet, because when I first tried I read it at another site, and it didn't say how to find the clip...but is it the same clip we saw not too long ago?
Brer Brandon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Brer Brandon »

Patrick, I'm with you. I'm looking forward to the film because it's from Pixar and they have never disappointed me. However, I am not blown away and in love simply from the trailers like I was with their last two movies which were milestones. Then again, I am glad to see a mainstream animated movie that places an elderly man in the lead role.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://www.animated-news.com/2008/up-ge ... arly-buzz/

"Up" generates early buzz

Pixar’s Upcoming film has been generating some early positive buzz, following the 45 minutes screening at Butt-Numb-A-Thon. According to CHUD, “What we saw was sometimes fully rendered and finished, sometimes flat and undone and often just sketches and storyboards with a temp music track and voices dubbed over, but it was completely engaging and often beautiful, visually and emotionally.” The article concludes with, “'Up' stands as the most promising Pixar movie in years, and certainly one of the most exciting films of 2009.”
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Brer Brandon wrote:Then again, I am glad to see a mainstream animated movie that places an elderly man in the lead role.
Like Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit you mean?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

trailer didn't interest me at all...........I saw it before BOLT.

I'll be skipping it just like I skipped seeing Ratatouie in the theater.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

jediliz wrote:trailer didn't interest me at all...........I saw it before BOLT.

I'll be skipping it just like I skipped seeing Ratatouie in the theater.
Wow! You must be a fan of Disney to be reading this website. You really avoid seeing movies in theaters because of your opinion of a trailer? Doesn't the brand-name Disney mean anything to you? You've never seen a movie where the trailer looks great, and you go see the movie and the only good parts were what you saw in the trailer, the rest of the movie sucked? I hated the trailer for Beverly Hills Chihuahua. I saw it in theaters anyway, and guess what? The movie was a whole lot better than what the trailer indicated.

Ratatouille was a great movie.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

kbehm29 wrote:You really avoid seeing movies in theaters because of your opinion of a trailer?
Given the fact that a trailer is supposed to sell itself and make you want to see a movie, if a trailer fails to do that I probably wouldn't want to see the movie in theatres either.

(Then again, I rarely go to the theatre, I'd rather watch movies in the comfort of my own home)
kbehm29 wrote:Doesn't the brand-name Disney mean anything to you?
The brand name "Captain Morgan" means something to me too, but it doesn't mean I'll buy a bottle every time I see a commercial for it. ;)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

But really - who hasn't seen a trailer that made you want to go see a movie, but also ruined the best parts of the movie leaving you feeling disappointed at the end?

I could never go by trailer alone.

:lol: I have to admit, I value the name Disney even above the Capt.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

I don't even judge any movie by the trailer anymore. I've seen too many examples of great movies with horrible trailers. Also it can lead to false advertising, a good example is Sweeney Todd. Many moviegoers were disappointed when they found out it was a musical, and based on the trailer they were right as well.