DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:36 pm 
Limited Edition

The updated scrapbook is back on the Little Mermaid website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Some people are already posting their reviews of last night's premiere on broadwayworld.com if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:57 pm 
Super Genius

Hey everyone! I'm back from "Under the Sea"!!!

I'm gonna write a full review, but first I am gonna post pics of stuff I got. I bought one of everything they had, except for the kids shirts.
my Original Cast signed Poster!!!

Magazine handed out at the theater, Mermaid pin, Mermaid keychain, Mermaid-glass keychain.

Mermaid polo shirt, Mermaid baseball cap.

the bags the stuff came in

two random flyers.

I will update later, to name all the signatures of my poster.

P.S. I met ChrisLyne, he's very sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 am 
Super Genius

ACT I

Fathoms Below/Where I Belong - Sailors, Pilot, Prince Eric, Grimsby
Daughters Of Triton - Mersisters
The World Above - Ariel
Human Stuff - Scuttle, Gulls
I Want The Good Times Back - Ursula, Flotsam, Jetsam
Part Of Your World - Ariel
Part Of Your World(Reprise) - Ariel
She's In Love -Mersisters, Flounder
Her Voice - Prince Eric
The World Above(Reprise) - King Triton
Under The Sea - Sebastian, Sea Creatures
Sweet Child - Flotsam, Jetsam
Poor Unfortunate Souls - Ursula

ACT II

Positoovity - Scuttle, Gulls
Beyond My Wildest Dreams - Ariel, Carlotta, Maids
Les Poissons - Chef Louis
Les Poissons(Reprise) - Chef Louis, Chefs
One Step Closer - Prince Eric
I Want The Good Times Back(Reprise) - Ursula
Kiss The Girl - Sebastian, Animals
Sweet Child(Reprise) - Flotsam, Jetsam
If Only/Her Voice (Quartet) - Ariel, Prince Eric, Sebastian, King Triton
Her Voice(Reprise) - Ursula
The Contest - Grimsby, Princesses
Poor Unfortunate Souls(Reprise) - Ursula
If Only(Reprise) - King Triton
Finale Ultimo - Ariel, Prince Eric, Company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:04 am 
Special Edition

WOW love it i wonder when the soundtrack will be out? was really good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:44 am 
Super Genius

Here is my opinions about the cast.

Sierra/Ariel - TRULY WONDERFUL! AMAZING, TERRIFIC! Words cannot explain, how great she was in the role of "Ariel", no one else could have nailed it the way she did. She looked the part, and even had the amazing vocals that Ariel did. She didn't sing operatic at all, nor did she sound the way she does on the Official Site. She had the role down to a "T", and Ariel did indeed have her signature wave. Her wig was long and wavy, an orange colour, with "Ariel red" streaks in the back. Sierra was the perfect choice for Ariel, it's as if Ariel had really come to life, and was really there singing. "Beyond my Wildest Dreams" feels as if it was written by Howard himself, best new song of the show, hands down.

Sherie Rene/Ursula - I love Sherie Rene, especially on the Aida OBCR. But I felt she was wrong for the role of Ursula. She didn't look the part, her dialog wasn't the best, or Sherie didn't deliver it right. And her new song "I Want The Good Times Back" wasn't as good as "Wasting Away." It was the same melody, just new words. I felt as if Ursula was corny, very dull, and not intresting. I hope she of all the musical, is reworked before it opens in New York. Her costume was good, and her wig was okay. But with her lines and music, I couldn't really get into Ursula.

J.J./Flounder - So cute! Flounder isn't around as much in the musical, but he is well written, delivers great jokes, and his costume was very neat and modern. The only song he sings in "She's in Love", he came out during the second chorus, and blew everyone out of the water! That little boy can sing, and was great as Flounder.

Sean/Eric - Awesome, he brings so much new depth and character to Eric. He is so much more than before, and has some great new songs. You really believe he is searching for this mystery voice, and his growing love for his mute beauty. Also, he wears the tightest pants ever!

Tittuss/Sebastian - Wonderful, you really believe him as this little crab. And wears the cutest top hat with little eyes on it, "Kiss the Girl" was VERY beautiful on stage. The trees, the birds, the fish, the bugs, it all came together so magically.

Norm/Triton - Great in this role, you really believe him as a father. Who is trying to protect his daughter, his chemistry with Sierra was great.

Eddie/Scuttle - Kid humor funny, "Human Stuff" was great live, and "Positoovity" was great because of the dancing and humor.

Tyler & Derrick/Jetsam & Flotsam - Simply brilliant, theses characters have totally been reworked. They are so much funnier, and make the story much more fun. They work sooo great together, those two together are show stopping. "Sweet Child" was one of the best new songs! I cannot explain how great these two are, and they did some neat tricks on their heelys. So deliciously evil & charming. They stole the show from Ursula.

Johnathon/Grismby - Good, not much different from the film.

Chef Louis - Kid humor to the core. I so could have done with out him, and his song.

Ariel's Sisters - Fun! Pure fun, their new song "She's in Love" is so fun! That's the only word I can use to explain it. Very 60's Girl Group. They are sooo cute and colourful, especially Michelle Lookadoo as Adella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:28 am 

I know that media won't be allowed to see the show until August 23, but....are there any pictures of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh it sounds teriffic! Well, anything Little Mermaid would sound teriffic to me, but still! I hope I have the chance to see it one day. And two questions, what were the mermaid coustumes like, and when did they use the roller skates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks for posting all the pics and review. It sounds like you had an amazing evening and that the musical will be a success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:07 am 
Limited Edition

If it's not too much trouble, could you please write a detailed synopsis/summary of the show, and please explain the new songs? I'm kinda curious on how close they were to the movie, and what changes they made. I know the biggest change was the Contest scene and climax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:22 pm 
Super Genius

SPOILER ALERT

Okay, there isn't much difference in ACT I

Fathoms Below/Where I Belong - Seems the same as the extended version, with talks of King Triton, Mermaids, and his evil sister Ursula. Then "WIB" explains his love for the sea, it's where he feels best, and explains he wants a girl different from the rest. He doesn't want a girl, who is too primp and proper, and wishes she would enjoy sailing.

A celebration is being held at Atlantica, because Triton has defeated his evil sister. And his daughters's will sing.

Daughters Of Triton - Same as the film, just the names are sang three times. It's cute how the repeat "she's our sister Ariel", hoping maybe she didn't hear them.

The World Above - Great new song, first time we see Ariel. It's her basically telling the audience, that this is her goal. She sings about how air is so thin, and the suns so warm on her skin, how she belongs in this big bright world above.

Human Stuff - Exactly the same as the demo, and very similar to the scene in the movie. Scuttle, and his equally dumb seagull friends, explain human stuff to Ariel, all along being soooo wrong :)

I Want The Good Times Back - The first time we see Ursula, not my favorite. Explaining how good the old days were, before their father gave Triton his trident and made him king. And how alls she got was some magic conch shell, she didn't know how to use.

Part Of Your World - same

Part Of Your World(Reprise) - same, except no big splash at the end :@

She's In Love - Great new song! So camp. This one starts off, wondering whats with Ariel. Then the sisters realize, all from the signs. She's in love! They all sing, about how Ariel is head over fins. Then Flounder comes along, and really tears it up!

Her Voice - same as the demo, Prince Eric trying to find his mystery girl, with her haunting voice.

The World Above(Reprise) - same as the demo, King Triton forbidding his daughter to go the shore. And that humans are dangerous.

Under The Sea - Same as the film, just with a big extended dance sequence in the middle, alot like the stage version of "Be Our Guest".

Sweet Child - GREAT NEW SONG! These two reel Ariel in, telling Ariel that Ursula will help her. And end up convincing her ;)

Poor Unfortunate Souls - Same as the film.

Act I ends with Ariel swimming to the shore, slowly her tail is coming off. It ends with her hitting the shore, taking her first breath of air, and you can see she now has legs!

ACT II

Positoovity - same as the demo, Scuttle is determined to help Ariel learn to walk. And not let her give up.

Beyond My Wildest Dreams - FANTASTIC NEW SONG! This takes place when Ariel was in the castle bath tub. Carlotta is wondering, what is Ariel thinking. And then it shows, in Ariel's head, all the stuff she is excited, and puzzled about. Some what different from the demo, more extended, and the maids sing about their dislike for Ariel. Kinda like the wash women in the movie, wondering why Eric is with this washed up mute girl, teasing that she will be good diner room conversator. Carlotta basically sings about the maids hushing up, and helping this poor child.

Les Poissons - same as the film

Les Poissons(Reprise) - just a reprise of the song, nothing different. This takes place when Ariel is served at the dining room table, and Sebastian runs a muck in there.

One Step Closer - This is great new song for Eric. It takes place after dinner, and they are on the beach. Prince Eric is showing her how to dance, and he teaches her this simple like 5 step thing. Then they end up dancing all great together, all along he is growing much closer to Ariel, and more fond of her. It ends with Ariel, ending up repeating the 5 step dance, and she smiles so happily. At the very end, you can really tell that Eric has fallen for her.

I Want The Good Times Back(Reprise) - Ursula sending out the eels because Ariel and Eric are getting too close. And that she wants the good times back.

we never see the tour of the kingdom, it just cuts to Eric and Ariel in the row boat.

Kiss The Girl - Same as the film, very beautiful on stage.

Sweet Child(Reprise) - Singing about how Ariel is S.O.L basically :P

If Only/Her Voice (Quartet) - AMAZING SONG!!!!!! It starts off, with Ariel in her bed. Singing about how if she could only speak, it would be some much easier. If only she could explain everything. Then it shows Eric singing about Ariel, and he starts singing about that mystery voice that is still in the back of his mind. Sebastian the reprises "If Only" saying, if only he could help Ariel, and King Triton is then shown. Singing aswell, then all four sing. All at the same time, about all the different things. Very very very moving!

Her Voice(Reprise) - Ursula singing about how Ariel doesn't have her voice.

Grimsby has come to Eric, telling him. That since he is so in love with this mysterious voice. They will hold a contest at the castle, each maiden in the land will come, and sing for Eric. So Eric can finally find the woman he loves, and get married.

The Contest - Cute silly little song, all the girls singing and not sounding like Ariel, at all! LOLOLOLOL

After all the princess preform for Eric, Ariel shows up. And she wants to try and sing for Eric. Nothing comes out, all the girls laugh at her, and she runs away in tears. Eric explains to Grimsby, that Ariel is the one he loves, because when she tried. He was hoping, let it be her, let her win, so he found out that he has fallen in love with Ariel. He goes to tell her the good news. When all of a sudden, the castle fills up with water, and Ursula comes in. And she tells Eric everything, that Ariel was the one. And how pathetic she is, that she traded all her power, and her most precious item ever, her voice, all for him.

Poor Unfortunate Souls(Reprise) - Her basically saying, poor Ariel. You now belong to me, and your time is up.

King Triton comes into the flooded palace, Sebastian and Flounder told him all about what happened. He sees his daughter with feet, and Ursula tells him what happened. He then of course, gives up his power, and Ursula gets her trident. The castle fills up all the way with water, Eric, Grimsby and Carlotta leave. Ursula is all excited, she will now rule the seven seas. Then Ariel grabs her magic conch, showing that she will crush it. Ursula says, if you break it, you will lose your voice forever. Then down from the ceiling, Eric swims down, grabs Ursula's trident. Gives it to Triton, Ariel breaks the conch, and Triton blast Ursula. And she is blasted off of stage.

The water goes down, and the palace is now hall full of water. Eric askes who Triton is, and tells him that he loves his daughter. Then, Ariel, able to speak, tells him how much she loves him. Eric askes the king, if he can have his daughter's hand in marriage, he tells him, that's Ariel's decision. They kiss, and Ariel thanks her father.

If Only(Reprise) - He explains how he gave all the merpeople their freedom, but held it back from the one he loves most. Saying, when the waves hit the shore, just think of me, when the sea mist hits your faces, it's just your daddy missing you. VERY SAD MOMENT, tear jerker!

Finale Ultimo - They sing and get happily married. Ariel and Eric are sailing the boat, while under all the merpeople are happy for Ariel.

Last edited by The Little Merboy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

THANK YOU THE LITTLE MERBOY!!!!!!!!

The pictures, the descriptions, the details, the summary, your opinions! Thank you for it all!

I'm so glad Sierra didn't sing too operatic (although I had heard they were trying to make this like an opera), like on the web site, because opera is no place for colloquial langauge like "wanderin' free"! I'm so glad you liked her since you were not happy with her getting the part over Kerry. To please such an Ariel fan, she must have been good!

I'm also very happy that Flotsam and Jetsam, my second favorite characters and who I wanted to try out for to hopefully get into the musical (but yea it all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to get there and audition) seem to have not only good actors, but well written parts!

I'm sorely dissapointed that my favorite character, Ursula, was not up to par. And I certainly hope that when you say she didn't look the part, you're not counting her weight, because I think Ursula should be heavy no matter what, fatsuit or whatever they need. Because her character is supposed to be large and imposing!

I'm also sad that "I Want The Good Times Back" replaced "Wasting Away". I mean, Wasting Away was a more clever title and so fun, and it came from a line in the movie. Did they even have the "I'm fat but I think I'm malnourished" jokes?

But what I'm really disappointed in is MAGIC CONCH?! Do they mean the NAUTILUS SHELL?!?! If they changed that beautiful golden spiral to a mere conch shell I'm pissed!

And don't get me started on SPOILER ALERT Ursula not becoming Vanessa! I'm okay with her not getting huge, in fact, I really like the palace submerged in water, but WTF no Vanessa hypnotism? No Eric's marrying someone else? No sea animals jump on the deck and beat up Ursula?!

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:18 pm 
Super Genius

Disney Duster wrote:
THANK YOU THE LITTLE MERBOY!!!!!!!!

The pictures, the descriptions, the details, the summary, your opinions! Thank you for it all!

I'm so glad Sierra didn't sing too operatic (although I had heard they were trying to make this like an opera), like on the web site, because opera is no place for colloquial langauge like "wanderin' free"! I'm so glad you liked her since you were not happy with her getting the part over Kerry. To please such an Ariel fan, she must have been good!

I'm also very happy that Flotsam and Jetsam, my second favorite characters and who I wanted to try out for to hopefully get into the musical (but yea it all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to get there and audition) seem to have not only good actors, but well written parts!

I'm sorely dissapointed that my favorite character, Ursula, was not up to par. And I certainly hope that when you say she didn't look the part, you're not counting her weight, because I think Ursula should be heavy no matter what, fatsuit or whatever they need. Because her character is supposed to be large and imposing!

I'm also sad that "I Want The Good Times Back" replaced "Wasting Away". I mean, Wasting Away was a more clever title and so fun, and it came from a line in the movie. Did they even have the "I'm fat but I think I'm malnourished" jokes?

But what I'm really disappointed in is MAGIC CONCH?! Do they mean the NAUTILUS SHELL?!?! If they changed that beautiful golden spiral to a mere conch shell I'm pissed!

And don't get me started on SPIOILER ALERT Ursula not becoming Vanessa! I'm okay with her not getting huge, in fact, I really like the palace submerged in water, but WTF no Vanessa hypnotism? No Eric's marrying someone else? No sea animals jump on the deck and beat up Ursula?!

So glad I could help Disney Duster. The Little Mermaid is so beautiful to the eyes, and ears. It is by far my favorite Disney Broadway Production. I cannot wait til' December to see all the changes made. But it is so simply stunning, the colors are so gorgeous and very summer like. You honestly feel like you're under the sea.

Sierra blew me out of the water :wink: That girl, wow. Words cannot seriously explain, how perfect she was. It seriously seemed like she was Ariel herself, and she was soooooo cute as Ariel. She potrayed Ariel soooooooo well, just the look in her eyes, and that adorable smile! You get so caught up in the story, and feel as if you are struggling yourself. I am so glad that she got the role, because she is it, she is Ariel.

Flotsam and Jetsam were a big breakout act. Everyone at the show was talking about how great they were. Derrick and Tyler work so great together, you have to see the Original Cast just to see the magic between these two. And they glide so well together on their heelys, they are so in sync.

Ursula was just my opinion, because the guy on BroadwayWorld.com loved her. I just couldn't get into her, her costume was good. She had a slim top, no fat suit or anything, little waist and arms. But GIANT hips, lol! She was very Hippy! But Ursula's transfer, to me, seemed too much, they tried to hard to capture that salesman routine she did. And it didn't work, and Ursula didn't really have any jokes, none good that I can remember. It was just a comibination of things for me, that let me down. Like I said, I love Sherie Rene, but this isn't for her. I love "Wasting Away", if they would have left that in the show, and reworked some of the lyrics. Then maybe I would have bought it, but she came out with a bad song, and never seemed to capture that true Ursula essence.

I'm so glad you brought that up Disney Duster. In the first act, it was a nautilus shell, but they kept calling it conch. And when Ariel's voice went into it, it was still a nautilus shell, but in the second act. It looked the same, white and sparkly, but it was a conch. Maybe they changed the shells, because Ariel breaks the shell, so I dunno. But it was refered as a magic conch.

I was wondering how they would play on the Vanessa thing, but it just never happened. I was thinking the whole time, that Vanessa would show up at the contest, singing with Ariel's voice as Vanessa. Nope, but it all worked out very well. Ursula's "death", if she even died that is, really needs to be reworked. LOL, I don't like the idea of her just being shooed away with a blast, or a current of water :lol:

Last edited by The Little Merboy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:23 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Little Merboy you are the luckiest little Merboy to ever live. Thanks for all the great pictures and your reivew of the show. Sounds like you really enjoyed it, I can't wait to see it for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:27 pm 
Super Genius

Simba3 wrote:
The Little Merboy you are the luckiest little Merboy to ever live. Thanks for all the great pictures and your reivew of the show. Sounds like you really enjoyed it, I can't wait to see it for myself.

I truly am, I am so happy to have seen it. I've been dying for it, FOREVER. So the fact that I have now seen it, I can chill out :lol: But yes, do see it, it's soooooo wonderful. And if you see it after it opens in NY, it will probably be better, because all of the kinks will have been worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm...not really sure how I feel about the new ending. It seems kinda lame and anticilmactic compared to the movie, which is probably my favorite ending in any Disney movie (well, next to the awesome death in "The Black Cauldron"). I'll just have to see it, methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:39 pm 
Super Genius

Another thing, Michelle Lookadoo, played Adella. She is the only one who I could really catch her name, and match it to her. Because it all happened so fast, but Adella is so cute. She has medium short curly teal hair, and speaks really baby like.

And I'm not sure which Mersister Chelsea Morgan Stock played, I know for sure she wasn't Aquata or Arista. I'm thinking maybe she was Andrina, anways. The cute thing about her is that she wears some big bright purple cat eye glasses, and really works with her. Made her stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:45 pm 
Super Genius

UmbrellaFish wrote:
And two questions, what were the mermaid coustumes like, and when did they use the roller skates?

The costumes were very interesting to say the least. It was like they were wearing skirts that covered their legs, and the actual tails rest on the butt. So when they would glide, it would look like they were swimming. I guess you kinda have to ignore the people's legs.

They used the heelys through out most of the show. Alot of gliding around, it worked out very well. It didn't look corny or anything, it was a very neat concept. If the tails weren't on the butt, it would have looked odd. Because sometimes the water was blocking the view of the actors legs. So all you would see is a tail, and gliding, so it worked out good.

Last edited by The Little Merboy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm gonna have to see video of how they move. The idea of the heelies is kinda silly sounding. Like Tarzan Rocks at Animal Kingdom, but like I said, I need to see it to see if it works for me. I hope they do a performance for TV soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 pm 
Special Edition

Siren wrote:
I hope they do a performance for TV soon.

I never thought of that! I was wondering if I'd ever be able to see a part of the show, I just realised now reading that Siren, that they will do TV spots at certain events as most Broadway musicals do.

Anyway, thanks for the info Little Merboy, I really want to see this show!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next