DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm 
Diamond Edition

ajmrowland wrote:
I admit to not knowing much about Rapunzel's story.:embarassed: Then again, how many people knew the story of BatB when that came out?

As Patrick has said, it was quite well-known, if only by name and/or as a certain type of story (aka ugly freak and beautiful girl have a romance). It certainly would have been better known in 1991 than the original versions of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin would have been, at least to American audiences. The French director Jean Cocteau had made a version in the 1940s (La Belle et la Bête, which is the French title of the story), which is one of the most cherished and highly acclaimed French films of all time and was arguably one of the initial deterrents over making the film (since Cocteau's film is such a classic). There had also been a TV series that retained the title and set the story in modern-day New York not long before Disney's version came out, which would have left the story relatively fresh in many people's minds.

I do understand that certain fairy-tales vary in popularity from country to country. From what I believe, Rapunzel isn't too well-known in France, just as I'm sure most of you won't really know the likes of Peau d'Âne and Le Petit Poucet (Donkeyskin and Hop O' My Thumb, respectively). However, Rapunzel is most certainly one of the more widely renowned fairy-tales, probably only beaten by the likes of Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood in terms of popularity. Rapunzel is most certainly one of the better known and iconic fairy-tales in Britain as well.

Have I got something more to say? Oh, just the usual refrain. Shame on you, Disney. Shame on you.

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 pm 
Diamond Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
But honestly most people don't really know the tales--they know the names, but not the stories. I personally didn't know that Rapunzel got pregnant and had babies, and her prince was stricken blind, etc. until several years ago.

Then again, most versions of many fairy-tales - especially those aimed at kids - nowadays distil the dirty details in the Grimm originals out. ;)

You've got the name situation quite spot on though; I'm sure that most people would only know Cinderella and a few others off by heart. Rapunzel is, however, one of the more recognisable names.

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

robster16 wrote:
What some shots might have looked like had it been a 2D movie. Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

Image Image

Image Image

Did you made these yourselves? They are beautiful and they look a lot like the trailer.

I'm just waiting for the official trailer, and I'm hoping that's it's gonna be good... From my POV, there isn't that mutch left of the old Rapunzel story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Anniversary Edition

I really wasnt all that excited about Disney doing Rapunzel to begin with. I dont know why. Maybe cause the oversimplicity (and I know there are multiple versions) of the fairytale that most people are familiar with makes Rapunzel seem better fit as a Disney short. Or maybe I thought that it would be fun if Disney took on rarer fairytales. I have a hard time believing that Disney is capable of stretching this story out into a full length film though this wouldnt be the first time Disney would have this sort of problem.

So with all of these new changes I'm actually a bit intrigued. I just dont want them to take the Shrek route with this. I'm predicting though it's gonna be more like Enchanted in tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

WillytheDino wrote:
robster16 wrote:
What some shots might have looked like had it been a 2D movie. Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

Image Image

Image Image

Did you made these yourselves? They are beautiful and they look a lot like the trailer.

I'm just waiting for the official trailer, and I'm hoping that's it's gonna be good... From my POV, there isn't that mutch left of the old Rapunzel story.

:lol: Flynn is totally trying to seduce Rapunzel so she won't hit him with a pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 pm 
Collector's Edition

I don't really understand why people are comparing this to Shrek. From what the studio has told us, this is a romantic comedy. I wouldn't consider Shrek a romantic comedy. I also see no evidence what-so-ever to suggest it mocks the traditional tale. Seriously, the trailer didn't even have any pop-culture references that I can remember seeing other than the tagline at the end. On top of that, if it did have one or two pop culture references that wouldn't be too far off of what any past animated classic has done. Just because a animated film that has fairy tale roots has some comedy, and they highlight that in the trailer, doesn't mean it's another Shrek.

Who can blame anyone for trying to hone in on the success Dreamworks is having? After all, this has all come around full circle. I don't think anyone can deny that Shrek benefited from the DAC's popularity. Now the tables have turned, and the best way to gain back some of the audience Disney has lost is to give the consumer what the consumer is buying. I don't think Tangled is going to be the same as any Dreamworks film in the end (because I think it'll have class 8) :P ), but I think it is very wise to advertise it in a similar fashion. I also don't think that the general public will feel lied to or misled. If this film is as good as Disney and others who have seen bits and pieces of it is making it out to be, the general public will be happy they gave it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:12 pm 
Anniversary Edition

singerguy04 wrote:
Who can blame anyone for trying to hone in on the success Dreamworks is having? After all, this has all come around full circle. I don't think anyone can deny that Shrek benefited from the DAC's popularity. Now the tables have turned, and the best way to gain back some of the audience Disney has lost is to give the consumer what the consumer is buying. I don't think Tangled is going to be the same as any Dreamworks film in the end (because I think it'll have class 8) :P ), but I think it is very wise to advertise it in a similar fashion. I also don't think that the general public will feel lied to or misled. If this film is as good as Disney and others who have seen bits and pieces of it is making it out to be, the general public will be happy they gave it a shot.

Very well said, singerguy! You see, people seem to be forgetting around here that a movie is not the sum of its advertisements. Was Bolt a hardcore action flick? Aside from the first 5 minutes, no, not really. But was it marketed as one? Pretty much, yeah. Will Tangled be a classic along the same lines as BatB (or TPatF, at least, since it's from the same "new era")? Most likely. Will it be advertised that way? Absolutely not, after TPatF dissapointed in the box office! Lighten up! We won't know until we start seeing real clips.... But I actually am liking the tiny morsels we're seeing.....

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
Special Edition

WillytheDino wrote:
robster16 wrote:

Image Image

Image Image

I did. These were simple, I could just trace the frames from the preview. I'm thinking of completely doing 1 cool shot from the finished movie once it's out and overlay the handdrawn animation over the 3D movie, to see what it would have looked like in 2D :) haha Just for fun's sake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

I found this on wikipedia.
Image (alt+p)
I'm not sure if it's official.The animation looks great,but the logo :P needs work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm 
Special Edition

Candy-Bonita95 wrote:
Image (alt+p)
I'm not sure if it's official.The animation looks great,but the logo :P needs work.

it's a fanmade fake... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm 
Platinum Edition

Candy-Bonita95 wrote:
[img]I'm not sure if it's official.The animation looks great,but the logo :P needs work.

Theres no animation to be seen in a still image. (sorry, pet peeve)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 pm 
Platinum Edition

robster16 wrote:

Image Image

Image Image

Goes to show ya that the movie practically does look hand-drawn, despite being in CGI. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 am 
Ultimate Collector's Edition

I love your drawings, robster16. They look great.

Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 am 
Diamond Edition

sotiris2006 wrote:
@everyone who haven't watched the trailer yet

Here is a link where you can download it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xl8qz6

Apparently, pm is being glitchy.

Thank you! I did catch it on youtube but didn't get a chance to save it. :D

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 am 
Signature Collection

Yeah, thx. At least well be able to run comparisons when the final trailer is out.

I just love how the people at livejournal.com are like "OMG! ITS CG! ITS CRAP!!!!lol

Post subject: Re: !
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 am 
Ultimate Collector's Edition

ajmrowland wrote:
At least well be able to run comparisons when the final trailer is out.

I can't wait for the finished trailer to come out.

Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: !
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 am 
Special Edition

ajmrowland wrote:
Yeah, thx. At least well be able to run comparisons when the final trailer is out.

I just love how the people at livejournal.com are like "OMG! ITS CG! ITS CRAP!!!!lol

Yet when there's a perfectly enjoyable 2D movie in theatres they can't be bothered to go see it. Their logic is really just... gone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 am 
Signature Collection

On the plus side..for marketing of products...I think possibilities are Endless with Bubble Bath and/or Shampoo products not to mention hair combs and such...Tangled Rinse Rescue Repeat.....I know thats what the trailer says someting like that its sounds so tacky its almost genius in marketing it.... :roll:

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:19 am 
Diamond Edition

I sent Jerry Beck an email with sotiris2006's url!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 am 
Diamond Edition

disneyboy20022 wrote:
On the plus side..for marketing of products...I think possibilities are Endless with Bubble Bath and/or Shampoo products not to mention hair combs and such...Tangled Rinse Rescue Repeat.....I know thats what the trailer says someting like that its sounds so tacky its almost genius in marketing it.... :roll:

Detangling hair product? :p

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next