Atlantis: The Lost Empire Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Atlantis: The Lost Empire Discussion

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Hi, everyone!

(Hi, Dr. Nick!) ---- ehem... misplaced; :scratch:

I just want opinions about this movie (especially good ones) since I don't get to like this movie at all; and I would like to.

I have the single disc edition Dvd (wouldn't buy it otherwise). It has a GREAT and I mean GREAT sound and video quality. It helps me with my animated Disney movie collection and I just couldn't resist the cover (looks nice).

But I can't get to understand this movie. It really bores me at most points and in others I just don't understand it. It just seems to be and action/adventure movie; nothing wrong with that I especially like those films. But in this case the movie just feels empty.

Basically I think that the weakest point of this movie is the same one as in DINOSAUR. Since this is and adventure movie you're suppose to feel and live the journey of the characters. In the end the journey feels/is way too short. And once they arrive in Atlantis it gets worse.

In my opinion I think the movie would have worked so much better if Disney had decided just to stick with the journey of the characters and ended it wth the discovery of Atltantis.

What do you think?

"You're only second rate!"
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I agree with most of your points - technically good movie but real lack of plot and heart, much like the slightly better Treasure Planet.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

To me, Treasure Planet got it right in all the places Atlantis didn't. I think the biggest over-all problem with Atlantis is that it tries to be something it itsn't: a big-budget PG-13 summer action film for teens.

However, my harsh opinion of it has loosened up a bit after re-watching it recently. If you go into it with lowered expectations, it isn't really that bad. The design of the movie is pretty cool, too.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Atlantis is a great movie! i love it! i bought the 2 disc set! Atlantis is a far better movie than Treasure planet! ( Treasure planet is way to rushed!)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Someone I know once asked about Disney: "Why do they make some bad ones?"

<i>Atlantis</i> probably sounded good in theory. I know when I got around to seeing it on DVD (buying the Collector's Edition unseen as a matter of fact), I was quite looking forward to seeing it with the mostly favorable reviews, interesting-looking previews, and unique visual style. Of course, the joke was on me. The story is in shambles, characters alternate between good and bad with the ease of turning a light switch on or off, and the filmmakers have given these characters not depth, but accents. It's supposed to be an action/fantasy film with an edge or something, but I find its void of "magic", "inspiration", or "heart" to merit it a spot among Disney's weakest animated films. In fact, there are quite a few DTV releases I enjoy more than this.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Overall I liked Atlantis: The Lost Empire it was great from the beginning to the end but it did have some weak parts in the film.
Weak part was no musical in throughout the film.
When I first saw it at the theatre I thought it was going to him but it didn't.
I really enjoyed watching it on DVD the standard one.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
disneywb
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneywb »

Well, you can't blame them for not having quality input, the likes of Claudia Christianson (Babylon 5) or Joss Whedon (Buffy). Music would've really made the movie seem even wierder, but there was definitely something missing. Although I liked the art style, the one thing I can put my finger on as boring is the segment when all the adventurers are sitting around sharing stories about their pasts...instead of moving the plot forward.
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

I actually did (do) enjoy Atlantis, but can admit that it is a rather weak effort. There are the character development problems and the lack of that Disney "magic" that we had come to expect from animated films prior to this one.

You just never attach yourself to any of the other characters outside of Milo Thatch...maybe Kida to some extent but that's really stretching it. I also thought it was way too easy for them to get to Atlantis. Guess I expecetd the journey to be "wrought with peril" in an Odyssey sort of manner.

I'd give it a generous 6 or 6.5 out of 10. Enough to make it rewatchable and enjoyable for the most part, IMO, if you can get past all the letdowns.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I dont think the movie was God awful like some that I have seen in the past however I agree with most it could have been better and had a stronger plot. I mean persoanlly I enjoyed the Sequal or w/e the movie that was realsed in May of last year is considereed more than the origanl simply becasue it kept my intreast a lot longer and thats kind of sad you know.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Atlantis is the only film, Disney or no, during which I have actually gotten up to go the bathroom. Granted, I have seen worse movies than Atlantis in theaters and just didn't need to use the restroom facilities at the time, but that still says a bit about how I felt about the movie. The story just wasn't strong enough for me to really care about what was going on. And during the five minutes (or less) that I did spend in the bathroom, I don't feel like I missed a thing.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I liked Atlantis because it was different from all of the other animated features. I wouldn't say it was one of my favourite animated disney movies, but i did like it for being different. As i said a while ago in a different forum it reminds me a lot of the movie Stargate!

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5343
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

As stated in my DVD review of it for this site, I find Atlantis to be a nice popcorn action movie, but nothing more. The majority of the characters weren't lovable and when they tried to be, it was too little too late. Also a lot of it feels contrived and unnatural, and Disney usually handles contrived plots very gracefully. Still, I like the animation style and score, and I think the basic plot of it is interesting. So as a Disney movie, it's not the greatest, but I think it's a decent film when looked upon as popcorn entertainment.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

The sad thing is, Atlantis was supposed to be so much more than it is. A really dark movie with a lot of monsters and great action sequences, and qute a bit more character, too, as I recall . The story was originally in pretty good shape too, I think. Then, after Dinosaur's underperformance at the box office in 2000, it was one of many projects to get a "reduction in scope" and was constantly fiddled with by execs until it was a shadow of what it could have been if the execs had just let the filmmakers do what they knew how to do. Strange that Disney didn't trust Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale, the team that had brought them the Best Picture-nominated runaway hit Bauty and the Beast, as well as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Earth to Disney -- let the animators do what they do, they know what they're doing! :roll:

As it is, Atlantis came out of this all about as good as it could, and it is a worthwhile watch with some definate strengths (especially the unique visiuals, which are interestingly so far removed from Disney's usual art styles.) Still though, it had so much wasted potential. Shame....
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

I really wanted to like this movie and can't think of anything bad to say about it except that everytime I have tried to watch it I have fallen asleep. I did find a lot of the art to be quite stunning.
Today4U
Limited Issue

Post by Today4U »

Geez Louise and Heavens to Betsy... I LOVE Atlantis! It's the movie I've seen the most in theatres (I think I saw it seven times... I just remember at the time I could still keep track and I'd never seen anything more). But here's the sad part -- I can't tell you why I love it so much. I just do. I get this feeling from it. It's incredible to me. The cheapquel though... that blows goats.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

Atlantis is atypical and a little bit goofy, but there are some good points to it. The animation of the city itself is amazing, and there was some good comedy as well. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember walking out of the theater thinking it was an average movie. It just so happens that most of the Disney animated movies in recent years have been above average to spectacular, so it paled in comparison.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I think its because there's a lack of originality to it, every moment makes you feel as though you've seen the sequences and characters before (in other hit sci fi/action/adventure flicks that cant compare to this)

or maybe it's the fact that every second you're watching this you're wondering "uh...why didnt they just do this in live action?"

oh yeah and the fact that it completely destroyed the Disney formula...more like killed it and beat it some more with a bat
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

Atlantis:

OK Movie.

Good Voice Acting.

Great Animation.
(Even though it's a new style)

Great Sound Mix by the terrific Gary Rydstrom (of Pixar fame.)

The DVD Collector's Set is a great DVD of a mediocre film.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

I loved Atlantis! The animation was really good and I was interested the whole time! I think it is a great Disney movie and more ppl should watch it. The only problem is that it was too short for me.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
KevinTRod

Re: What's the deal with ATLANTIS?

Post by KevinTRod »

My problem with the movie (which I otherwise liked) is that it is too short. This is a movie that has so much back story that isn't addressed, with lots of characters you want to learn more about, and all the stuff about Atlantis itself you don't get to learn about, it seemed to me like Disney tried to cram a two hour film into a 90 minute film. Otherwise I liked the animation, loved the music, I thought the voice acting was excellent, it just needed to be a 30 minutes (or more) longer.
Webmaster of www.thecomicbookguy.com

Down with Carrot Top!