Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
friendoftheotherside

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by friendoftheotherside »

DisneyJedi wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:11 pm Disney, you animated the ocean in a hand-drawn movie in the 80s called The Little Mermaid. What makes you think you can't do that nearly thirty years later?? :roll:
Your answer is in the very first page of this thread…
Steve Hulett wrote:
While wandering the halls of the hat building yesterday, I chanced on one of the traditional animators working there. He said:

"We're developing a bunch of different projects to show John Lasseter. It's a complicated process. We pitch to a development group, they tell us which ones they like, then tell us that people who're pitching need to develop three pitches for John, since he likes artists showing him three things. And when we do pitch, it's made clear to us that the stories aren't necessarily for a hand-drawn project. When we've brought it up with John Lasseter, he's shied away from committing to a hand-drawn feature..."
Just another lame excuse. What kind of stories are appropriate for hand-drawn animation? Tarzan was a complex movie when it comes to animation. A real person couldn’t possible do that kind of movements. And it was a movie primarily made with hand drawn :shrug:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

reee9948 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:17 pm Disney has an open animator position for their Vancouver studio and they are looking for all kind of animator including hand drawns animators. Maybe there is a possibility that this studio was created to make 2d project, but that may be a stretch because they've always had a few 2d animators at their disposal for commercial and shorts so I don't know.

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/vanc ... 2653195632
Uh… the studio WAS created to make a 2D project, hence why it has been said that the work of the hand-drawn animators on Once Upon A Studio was training for their work on Tiana and that’s where all the 2D/hand-drawn animators are now.

I mean it’s kind of obvious and no one wants to see it because they’re afraid of a premature belief in something they want to see happen but fear they will lose it if they celebrate too quickly and too arrogantly.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

At this point your best option is to keep an eye open for whatever 2D animated films come our way, regardless of who is releasing them to keep it alive. (I do agree Disney needs new leadership in order for 2D animation to truly return; I honestly am pretty underwhelmed by their WDAS output coming up.)

But there is hope: There's that Looney Tunes movie, The Day The Earth Blew Up, which, although shopped around, at least seems to be en route to a moive theater release.

Another project worth keeping an eye open for: Aang: The Last Airbender. That project is going to be using 2D animation. I love this show. And I am looking forward to that one.

And of course, there's always GKIDS. Their release of The Boy and the Heron paid off handsomely. It shows that there's an audience hungry for handdrawn. The problem? A lot of executives are very much risk-averse. That's why something needs to change.

I have to admit that I AM intrigued by that 2D character in Inside Out 2. I wasn't particularly interested in seeing that movie at first, but the sight of an actual handdrawn character there is enough to change my mind.