The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Farerb »

The Disneynerd wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 am
Disney Duster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 pm Wow, that is amazing, Disneynerd! Yes, he would have been great for Once Upon a Studio.
really unfortunate, as this could be literally mistaken for a screenshot from the movie while OuaS Ariel kinda looked like Return to the Sea. :(
He would not have had the same amount of time working on the short as he would have in his personal time.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh, I've been following that user for a while now, he does some great work, and that particular piece of animation with Ariel is gorgeous.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

Insane this thread is almost 20 years old.

Yeah, it's a classic for a reason. Like what can you say that hasn't already been said? Wonderful, wonderful movie.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I didn't know giant Ursula was Katzenberg's idea.
Before Ariel packed out theaters, the then-president of Disney, Jeffrey Katzenberg, told her creators that he wasn’t harboring many illusions about her film: “Movies about girls don’t work.” The Little Mermaid, he said, would never best Oliver & Company. “The big eye-opener was when we had a preview. It played so well to a public audience, all ages, including adults,” says Musker. “They decided they were doing two different ad campaigns. One was a silhouette of a mermaid, looking wistfully out. I think they saw there was a way to treat it a little more adult, classier. It has a lot of fun as a comedy. But there’s an emotional story, not just silliness. I mean, the Hans Christian Andersen’s story was that,” he tells EL PAÍS, who was invited to Animayo by the festival’s organization. Musker’s team had another curious exchange with the legendary Katzenberg during work on Mermaid: “Die Hard had been a box-office hit. So he came into the office saying, ‘We need The Little Mermaid to be more Die Hard. That’s how we got the second action sequence, with an Ursula who is as big as the building in Nakatomi Plaza.”
Source: https://english.elpais.com/culture/2024 ... ncess.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:53 am I didn't know giant Ursula was Katzenberg's idea.
Really? :) You didn`t know? I don`t want to sound condescending, but it`s been well-known for many years. The directors confirmed this for the Audio Commentary for the movie.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I've never listened to the audio commentary. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage