The new Princesses being excluded from the lineup

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The new Princesses being excluded from the lineup

Post by PatchofBlue »

Count me in as part of the "slow down on the princesses" club. I think some of Disney's greatest movies have been led by a princess character, but they absolutely do not need to take up so much of the conversation. It is kind of an uphill battle at times trying to convince people that most of Disney's films don't fall into the princess class (literally, less than one in five), and it's super not-helpful when Disney tries to drop a new project every two years.

I don't think we need any more for a good decade or so. The only thing that would change my mind would be the promise of a proper Latina Princess since they are the only ethnicity that doesn't have a princess character in the lineup. (I mean like a REAL princess. Mirabel is a great character, but keep her out of the line.) I'm all here for well-rounded female characters (e.g. Raya) being recognized and celebrated without having to be roped into a crowd that they absolutely do not fit into.

Sidenote, I actually used to be pretty strict on the "Mulan and Pocahontas are not real princesses and so they should not be in the club" line of thinking, but I have somewhat softened on that stance over the last decade-ish. I had thought I would have a hard time seeing Moana as a certified princess for the same reason, but for some reason I never felt any natural resistance to the idea of seeing her with the others. I think it might be in part because I think Moana is a stronger film than Mulan or Pocahontas, but I also think that it might be because I have developed an increased awareness of the value of including a culturally diverse array of characters within the family.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I don't think that Moana is a stronger film than Pocahontas or Mulan. The plot of the movie is the same that they have been using for years. She's quite popular right now but her film is no so iconic as Mulan or Pocahontas.
About her beeing a Princess well, she has the same rights than Pocahontas to be it. Both are the daughter's of the chief and in this society the chief is like the king in the occidental monarchy so yes, both would be princess for the occidental people. Real Pocahontas was even introduced in London as a princess so it has sense to make her princess.
Mulan was not a princess by title but she saved China and it is a great reference so I understand that she deserves it and that they wanted to make a diverse franchise to attract more people.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I really just mentioned Alice and Lilo because their films are popular, and because Alice and Megara (and Esmeralda/Tinker Bell) had been used on merchandise in the '90s. I have stickers from that time saved in a box somewhere just because I know its sort of a rarity now. Aurora's style doesn't really fit alongside the others for me, but I think they often soften it in the merchandise artwork. I think Kida and Pocahontas are other princess-type characters with a stylized look. I'm honestly surprised they haven't pulled in Anastasia yet considering Merida is in it; I thought that was the direction we were heading, but it's taking longer than I would've thought.

I think Mulan is better than Pocahontas and Moana, but as far as how popular and well-known the characters are, I'd put all three around the same level. I think all characters are ones most of the general public would know, where Raya and Asha will probably have a problem there. Mirabel, IDK. I know Encanto was more successful as far as breaking into the zeitgeist anyway and selling merchandise, but I'm not sure if the average person would recognize the name Mirabel right off the way they would Moana or Mulan.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Thumper_93 wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:15 am I don't think that Moana is a stronger film than Pocahontas or Mulan. The plot of the movie is the same that they have been using for years. She's quite popular right now but her film is no so iconic as Mulan or Pocahontas.
About her beeing a Princess well, she has the same rights than Pocahontas to be it. Both are the daughter's of the chief and in this society the chief is like the king in the occidental monarchy so yes, both would be princess for the occidental people. Real Pocahontas was even introduced in London as a princess so it has sense to make her princess.
Mulan was not a princess by title but she saved China and it is a great reference so I understand that she deserves it and that they wanted to make a diverse franchise to attract more people.
You said it. Never seen that generic movie but everything I've read about it tells me that it's just classic Disney formula reheated about five different times. What is popular today need not necessarily be popular tomorrow or years from now. I don't expect any of modern Disney to be relevant or considered classics in the future. I think 90s Disney was will be considered the last relevant era and maybe Lilo and stitch as the only classic since then.
Pocahontas I think should be a princess because she is a cheif's daughter and a chief is the equivalent of a king. The british certainly thought so. She was included in the Lennox princess figurine collection as well. She fits every requirement of being a DP like being beautiful, having animal sidekicks, singing, having an epic romance at the forefront, having a father/daughter relationship, etc. She only misses out on not having a sparkly dress (but her dress is iconic like Jasmine's pants or Ariel's tail), not having a blue dress (but she does have a blue necklace), and not having a castle. I think allownces should be made considering she is from a culture without castles.
Mulan I never saw as princess material. She is more like ALice, Esmeralda and Lilo as a heroine but not a princess. She only got the title because Disney got criticsm for having only white princesses outside of Jasmine (who is technically also Caucausian) which is why they had to add Pocahontas and Mulan as "almost" princesses. I also think her movie sends the wrong message towards women as Mike Pence said. I know my friends have all said they won't show this movie to their daughters because they feel it's unrealistic and even Disney seems to agree cuz I heard in the new one they made it so that she's magically an action heroine.
I think out of all these movies, Pocahontas is the one best known. I was reading old posts on this forum and read some fun stuff about how there was a UK survey about princess movies and Pocahontas was one of the most watched princess movies with Snow White, Aladdin, Cinderella, Beauty and the beast, etc. whereas Mulan and Moana were at the bottom. Also that at the parks ppl recognize Pocahontas from all ages and countries but Mulan is less known. I don't think I even know what Moana looks like. I got her lego minifigure in a set and didn't recognize her and threw it away once I learned who she was supposed to be.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

twihard,
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
to everything you said. I wish I had your gift of articulation!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mulan having magic powers in the remake isn't a reflection on the original film. They changed everything about the film, including the film montage of her being trained as a soldier. I'm not sure what Mike Pence has to do with the Disney Princess line and I had no idea he even had thoughts about Disney's Mulan. Considering he can't be in a room with any woman without his wife present, I can imagine his difficulties with a movie that features a female protagonist. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

twihard wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm I don't expect any of modern Disney to be relevant or considered classics in the future. I think 90s Disney was will be considered the last relevant era and maybe Lilo and stitch as the only classic since then.
Yeah I slightly agree with that. Almost Everything pre 2000s is timeless, 90% of WDAS filmography from the last century is still remembered in pop culture today and most of them contributed a step forward in terms of storytelling and Animation, they set the standard, while movies nowadays orientate on them (or depend on them like Wish). And this decade only has handful of good to great movies like tEnG, Stitch, Frog, and Frozen, whereas the ones I enjoy like, Zootopia, Tangled or BH6, lack independence, self control and timelessness, especially the unwatchable ones after Moana that are only depending on its brands empire. Back then Disney adaptation were the definitive Version, they CLAIMED the stories and now when you hear of Snow White, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Winnie Pooh, 101 dalmatians, Lady&Tramp or Jungle Book, you automatically think of Disney, whereas Frozen, princess and the frog or Treasure Island, you can obviously seperate them from their original books, so if another studio might find interest in adaptating those in 10 years, they wouldnt have that much problems than with their earlier adaptations.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink: