Sean Bailey Left Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sean Bailey Left Disney

Post by Sotiris »

Good riddance, Sean Bailey! :party: Though him getting replaced with the head of their indie film branch, doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

Disney Shakeup: Sean Bailey Exits As President Of Walt Disney Motion Picture Studios, Searchlight’s David Greenbaum Takes Over
https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-sea ... 235838865/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Sean Bailey Left Disney

Post by Disney's Divinity »

In charge of the live-action division, right? Makes sense. Unfortunately, the new guy is going to get the blame for some of the movies coming out the next year or so underperforming even though he didn't greenlight them (like Snow White). But they might give him a pass for that.

I feel like that may be what's happening with Jennifer Lee, that she sort of got a pass for Strange World because Chapek was involved with a lot of the decisions around that film because of the controversy he himself created. They're probably giving Wish a slight benefit of the doubt for now to see if it is a start of an uphill climb back from the hole Strange World created the way TP&TF was back in 2009. The fact that they have nothing but sequels lined up after Wish is probably to help that come to pass.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

David Greenbaum could be alright, let’s wait and see. Calling Fox Searchlight ‘indie’ is a bit of a stretch though. I guess it is by Hollywood’s definition of the term, but this studio churns out nothing even remotely independent. It’s a standard legacy studio.

And Greenbaum has overseen some stellar films, like The Favourite and Nomadland. I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But Bailey’s exit is long overdue and should definitely be celebrated, my god. What a day.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sean Bailey's Disney Legacy: Reanimation and Later, Exhaustion | Analysis
https://www.thewrap.com/sean-bailey-disney-legacy/

I'd very much like to see follow-up on what specific episodes the writer is referring to here.
There were some tenuous moments as Bailey tried to mount this new array of live-action features. Oftentimes, he and his team wouldn't communicate which animated properties they were planning to adapt, which chafed at the folks at Walt Disney Animation Studios, several Disney insiders told TheWrap. These wounds would heal, with Bailey and his team not only alerting the animation studio but also relying on them heavily, after the animation teams' feelings were known.
Also, be on the lookout for the writer's blink-and-you'll miss it shoutout to the "wonderful" Peter Pan & Wendy ...
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pmAlso, be on the lookout for the writer's blink-and-you'll miss it shoutout to the "wonderful" Peter Pan & Wendy ...
For the record, I think that Peter Pan and Wendy Is wonderful! :-) Sure, it does have its flaws, but mostly only at the beginning With its overly dark colouring and lighting (at least it’s not deathly hallows part 2, A.k.a. the movie that inspired that kind of thing because it did so well and everybody “loved” it so much that Disney and other studios took it to mean that this is what audiences truly want), But they gave us an interesting character study with Peter Pan and Captain Hooks relationship, And also did some pretty interesting things with Wendy, not to mention the wonderful, well choreographed Cave scene that I can tend to be one of the best that I’ve actually seen in movies, at least overall recently :-) And the third act is quite interesting and fun as well of them flying high with the pixie dust and the ship, And some nice little bits of humour with “Mr. Bear!”, Beautiful realistic scenery that is what Neverland would be like if it was actually a real place :-)

I’m honestly quite shocked that everyone hates Peter Pan and Wendy as much as they do, when it’s at least overall competently made, Again, actually have something to say About the story to justify its existence. Again, it’s not great and it does have its flaws, but Jesus Christ are people picky and condition minded with the live action remakes or what?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pmI'd very much like to see follow-up on what specific episodes the writer is referring to here.
I bet it was about the live-action Moana. Unlike remakes of other animated films, people who worked on Moana are still at WDAS and feel personally attached to the property. Not to mention, the studio had a sequel series in the works at the time the live-action remake was being developed. That must have ruffled a few feathers.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

What Disney’s Film Executive Shuffle Really Means for Live Action Reboots, Corporate Culture and Iger Succession
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/disn ... 235925654/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:13 am
PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pmI'd very much like to see follow-up on what specific episodes the writer is referring to here.
I bet it was about the live-action Moana. Unlike remakes of other animated films, people who worked on Moana are still at WDAS and feel personally attached to the property. Not to mention, the studio had a sequel series in the works at the time the live-action remake was being developed. That must have ruffled a few feathers.
Sounds believable. What I guess I'd also like to know is whether time did in fact heal those wounds or whether that's just more billionaire talk.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatchofBlue wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pmSounds believable. What I guess I'd also like to know is whether time did in fact heal those wounds or whether that's just more billionaire talk.
I think they just placated them by making them a little more involved in the process.