Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Sotiris »

Box office updates.

โ€˜Wishโ€™ To Rise Disney Animationโ€™s Star Over Thanksgiving With $75M Global Opening
https://deadline.com/2023/11/wish-napol ... 235630318/

โ€˜Napoleonโ€™ Steps On Disneyโ€™s โ€˜Wishโ€™ With $32M+
https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office ... 235634036/

โ€˜Wishโ€™ Debuts To $49M WW
https://deadline.com/2023/11/napoleon-w ... 235637258/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:32 pm โ€˜Wishโ€™ To Rise Disney Animationโ€™s Star Over Thanksgiving With $75M Global Opening
I wonder if Deadline is still lowballing, considering the article also says ticket presales for Wish (most likely in its 3-day debut) are 60% higher than Elemental's.

So maybe its 5-day debut will be in the $60-$70M range, depending on what the film's CinemaScore is, and I'm very curious to see what it is after the early access screenings this weekend.
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

Rotten Tomatoes score is now 51%. Walt will be turning in his grave pretty soon.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

ElMaximo13 wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:02 pm Rotten Tomatoes score is now 51%. Walt will be turning in his grave pretty soon.
It's not the first Disney film to receive a rotten score.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's now at 51%. It keeps going down.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

โ€˜Wishโ€™ To Rise Disney Animationโ€™s Star Over Thanksgiving With $75M Global Opening
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I genuinely hope that people donโ€™t use the RT score as their deciding factor on whether or not to see Wish. Part of me legit believes that the โ€œcriticsโ€ are absolutely biased and I question if they even actually watched it.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The reviews being so split up and divisive is crazy to see for modern Disney. But then one must remember that when Sleeping Beauty first came out in 1959, it didn't receive the best reviews either but that's now hailed as a classic after some time has passed. So who knows, maybe Wish will get a critical revaluation down the road the same way that movie did.

Still very excited to see it this weekend. That hasn't changed. :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

Wow a 75M GLOBAL opening for a 200M movie

Also I agree with everybody, it doesn't look 2D, looks like unfinished CG animation
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I just saw an article that says that Wish has the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score since Chicken Little...

My favorite review title...
A Star Is Not Born!๐Ÿ˜‰
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:32 pm
ElMaximo13 wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:02 pm Rotten Tomatoes score is now 51%. Walt will be turning in his grave pretty soon.
It's not the first Disney film to receive a rotten score.
Yes, but because Wish is Disneyโ€™s 100th anniversary movie, it has to have a good score.
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

Early upload of the final battle scene (donโ€™t watch this if you want to avoid spoilers): [link removed]
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to remove link to copyrighted material
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

Hereโ€™s the full movie a day early (no need to thank me): [link removed]
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove link to copyrighted material
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Pokenonbinary wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 am Also I agree with everybody, it doesn't look 2D, looks like unfinished CG animation
It's supposed to look like a moving watercolor storybook illustration.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

ElMaximo13 wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:22 am Hereโ€™s the full movie a day early (no need to thank me)
HAHAHAH wow it worked thanks, I just saw the first 2 minutes and the storybook sequence looks gorgeous, but I think I still wanna see it the first time in theatres, makes the movie experience way more magical.

I also have a few thoughts about this movie: In short: I think the filmmakers really wanted to get all the Disney aspects of most of their movies in form of story, characters, songs, that there was no space left for its own identity and charm (put all Disney classics in a blender and throw away each movies uniqueness to mash into one) keeping the legacy seemed to be more important than being its own thing, I think thats why the animation style isnt also as daring or unique like Arcane or Spiderverse, because the movie really just wanted to celebrate its past I think, so it looks like a cute anniversary movie, but for the movie itself, I dont think so. Im gonna see how I really think of Wish when I see it this weekend :shrug:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

ElMaximo13 wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:22 am Hereโ€™s the full movie a day early (no need to thank me)
I'm sure you had good intentions but I suggest you delete that link, it's considered sharing of unauthorized material and this forum may suffer consequences.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:04 pmYou don't have to see every blade of glass or every strand of hair like you do in real life. Why would you even want that to begin with? Besides, there's already a medium that captures that more easily and successfully; it's called live-action.
I very much agree with your sentiment. I don't care to see detailed fabric textures, iris patterns, freckles and what not -- it's superfluous to storytelling. I feel the whole push of CG into photo-realism was because without it, 3D characters and objects would appear simple and bare, like play-doh figures. 2D characters wouldn't. And I don't dislike CG, I think it's a powerful tool that has unfortunately been co-opted for a singular use over and over again, when it can be so much more.
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:04 pm It's incredibly rare that the type of story favors, let alone requires, computer animation. Only Wreck-It Ralph comes to mind, and even that could have had the "real world" rendered in 2D or live-action. In fact, it would have made more sense if it did. And you're only saying that stories about toys, bugs, and cars are better suited for CG because of Pixar. But 2D has been doing those kind of stories for decades to great success. Do you honestly believe that The Brave Little Toaster or Susie the Little Blue Coupe would have looked better in CG? The truth is 2D animation trumps CG animation in almost every respect and is better suited for any type of story or genre. The sole reason 2D is not preferred over CG is its perceived unprofitability.
What I meant to say is that CGI is here to stay. It's a dominant medium in western animation, and there's no realistic way of getting rid off it. And we shouldn't, so many amazing films have been done using CGI. However, what needs to be done is to make space available for hand-drawn animation to thrive as well. And in that kind of environment, the type of story you're telling should decide what medium or animation form to use. Yes, hand-drawn animation is more than capable of doing any type of story in any type of setting, and has been doing them for decades. All my suggestions from above were based on the concept of these two mediums coexisting, where the atmosphere and the mood of what you're trying to convey are the ones dictating the medium used, and not some analyst's spreadsheets.
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:04 pm They would have just made more films in this stylized CG. As someone who is not a fan of this look, that's a positive outcome in my book.
:up:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

49%
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:17 am49%
Oh, come on! :(
Almofadinhas

Post by Almofadinhas »

Well, audience score is starting at 88% :) Let's see how it goes once people actually get to watch it.