Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Wish

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Mooky wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:42 pm
ElMaximo13 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:45 am This review confirms that the movie has a storybook opening: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 49335.html
Why exactly? It's an original story with fairytale elements, not based on a pre-existing material.
So is Enchanted.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

DisneyJedi wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:15 am I’m so damn tired of seeing people knocking Wish’s animation style. It’s always “It looks half-finished, this” and “It doesn’t look fully rendered, that.”

Good grief, people are complete hypocrites. They praise Dreamworks and Sony to the high heavens when they do stylized CGI-animated films, but when Disney does it with Wish, they nitpick the hell out of it. And they wonder why Disney is “playing it safe” with sequels and remakes, which I’m kind of getting tired of only seeing from the company. :x

Genuinely, I hope that, despite what critics have to say about it, Wish ends up being a box office hit. Mainly because I want to see the naysayers eat their own words.
That will depend on how audiences respond to the film. I certainly don't have high hopes, but I'm hoping that I will at least enjoy it. I am planning to see it on Wednesday next week to decide for myself. I refuse to believe that this film is anywhere nearly as bad as Ralph Wrecks The Internet and Home on the Range. Those two are rock-bottom Disney as far as I am concerned.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Complaining about lots of Disney references being shown in a movie that's made to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company is like complaining about plants being green. What's the point?
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Some review for Wish came out, a lot of people liked it saying that it captures the magical feels of Disney. They said that the movie is fast and simple, but they really enjoyed it regardless. The one didn't enjoy it didn't like Valentino and claimed that the characters are one dimensional. Maybe the movie won't be as groundbreaking as Hunchback of Notre Dame or the Little mermaid, but its best to watch the movie yourself to form your own opinion.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I saw Wish a few hours ago. I loved it. I felt like I had already watched a lot of it due to the clips released but there was still a lot of excitement.

Magnifico is great. It felt satisfying having a villain again for sure.

I love Asha. She has a big heart. I love Dahlia too. All the Teens ended up being good characters.

Valentino and Star got lots of laughs in my pretty-full theater.

I really like the songs. I already did but it was exciting seeing them with the visuals.

The end credits did not give a clue of what the next film will be that I saw.

I started getting concerned about Easter eggs - there felt like a lot in the very beginning; I'm sure I forgot some in my list below. But it eased up and I could focus on the story.

The movie got really exciting as Magnifico got more and more evil. With
(major spoiler) The Teens in addition to Asha being wanted.

Most of the DACs were represented in the credits (remember how the Star-outline of Yzma was posted here). I think the only movies not represented were most package films (SA, T3C, MMM, F&FF, MT), The Rescuers/TRDU, The Black Cauldron, Meet the Robinsons, (while Fantasia 2000 was represented, Winnie the Pooh, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and Frozen II were not).

Easter eggs that I remembered when I came home:

Mickey Mouse- a pen under Star's magic started drawing the Mickey silhouette; at the end, fireworks are in the classic Mickey shape

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- opening card was similar to SW's; poisoned apple in Magnifico's room; wishing well; mine car Asha travels in; Asha's cottage (on the outside); Asha calls Dahlia the Doctor of advice or something like that

Pinocchio - Saba plays "When You Wish Upon a Star" on his lute(?) in the post-credits scene

Bambi - the bear called the deer "Bambi;" a rabbit thumped his foot

Cinderella- Asha doing the transformation pose near the end; a large apple (instead of a large pumpkin); Fairy Godmother outfit; magic wand;
Pretty big spoiler: Asha becomes the fairy godmother of Rosas at the end thanks to Star.

Alice in Wonderland- singing flowers/mushrooms I suppose

Peter Pan- at the end a guy named Peter dressed similarly to Pan wants to invent a flying machine; a silhouette of Peter flying in a wish bubble; Magnifico says something about "NeverLand," but as an action, not as a place

Sleeping Beauty- Aurora's blue dress in a wish bubble; green magic; Asha dancing with woodland animals on top of each other

Beauty and the Beast- I'm pretty sure there was a reference but I can't think of it

The Lion King- Valentino says where balls of gas come from

Treasure Planet (or Peter Pan)- there was a ship in a wish bubble... didn't look like the RLS Legacy so idk

Tangled- I doubt Magnifico's room being in the tower is a reference to Tangled...

Frozen- "We love crazy" said by the mushrooms

Zootopia- at the end, Valentino said he "wished" (not a wish bubble or anything) or wanted a metropolis where all mammals are equal and wear clothes

Frozen II- pack of deer around Asha reminded me of "Lost in the Woods;" I think there was another reference but I think it had to do with the deer...so similar
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Hardbackyoyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:51 am
Mooky wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:42 pm
Why exactly? It's an original story with fairytale elements, not based on a pre-existing material.
So is Enchanted.
Except Enchanted was very obviously fairytale-adjacent and characters like the seven dwarfs and Little Red Riding Hood were native to Andalasia.
Hardbackyoyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:42 am Complaining about lots of Disney references being shown in a movie that's made to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company is like complaining about plants being green. What's the point?
Maybe because then it's less of an actual movie and more of a 90-minute greatest hits compilation? :shrug:
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

I also saw it today and was unfortunately very underwhelmed. The marketing was fairly successful on me, so I had already bought into “This Wish” and Asha and Star as legacy characters. But the script is an absolute mess and everything about the production just felt so lazy.

I did like a couple of scenes: the Wish Reprise was successfully moving even if the story didn’t quite earn it, and At All Costs worked well to establish Asha and Magnifico’s characters.

Knowing What I Know Now, a song I did like from the soundtrack, barely works at all — it’s actually laughable how rushed the citizens’ revolution was and felt.

I live in Los Angeles where audiences are usually pretty attentive/respectful but this screening was an absolute nightmare. A lot of walk outs, a lot of people checking their phones and attending to their restless children. I will admit that might’ve impacted my enjoyment to some degree, but given I love Disney’s other female-driven musicals, this has to be one of my greatest disappointments in them ever.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

This has B cinemascore written on, I said that it's very unlikely since kids movies normally get A (specially disney ones, with only strange world as the exception) but wow I'm seeing the same pattern as Strange World

Maybe a B+ instead of a B
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:52 pm I saw Wish a few hours ago. I loved it. I felt like I had already watched a lot of it due to the clips released but there was still a lot of excitement.

Magnifico is great. It felt satisfying having a villain again for sure.

I love Asha. She has a big heart. I love Dahlia too. All the Teens ended up being good characters.

Valentino and Star got lots of laughs in my pretty-full theater.

I really like the songs. I already did but it was exciting seeing them with the visuals.

The end credits did not give a clue of what the next film will be that I saw.

I started getting concerned about Easter eggs - there felt like a lot in the very beginning; I'm sure I forgot some in my list below. But it eased up and I could focus on the story.

The movie got really exciting as Magnifico got more and more evil. With
(major spoiler) The Teens in addition to Asha being wanted.

Most of the DACs were represented in the credits (remember how the Star-outline of Yzma was posted here). I think the only movies not represented were most package films (SA, T3C, MMM, F&FF, MT), The Rescuers/TRDU, The Black Cauldron, Meet the Robinsons, (while Fantasia 2000 was represented, Winnie the Pooh, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and Frozen II were not).

Easter eggs that I remembered when I came home:

Mickey Mouse- a pen under Star's magic started drawing the Mickey silhouette; at the end, fireworks are in the classic Mickey shape

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- opening card was similar to SW's; poisoned apple in Magnifico's room; wishing well; mine car Asha travels in; Asha's cottage (on the outside); Asha calls Dahlia the Doctor of advice or something like that

Pinocchio - Saba plays "When You Wish Upon a Star" on his lute(?) in the post-credits scene

Bambi - the bear called the deer "Bambi;" a rabbit thumped his foot

Cinderella- Asha doing the transformation pose near the end; a large apple (instead of a large pumpkin); Fairy Godmother outfit; magic wand;
Pretty big spoiler: Asha becomes the fairy godmother of Rosas at the end thanks to Star.

Alice in Wonderland- singing flowers/mushrooms I suppose

Peter Pan- at the end a guy named Peter dressed similarly to Pan wants to invent a flying machine; a silhouette of Peter flying in a wish bubble; Magnifico says something about "NeverLand," but as an action, not as a place

Sleeping Beauty- Aurora's blue dress in a wish bubble; green magic; Asha dancing with woodland animals on top of each other

Beauty and the Beast- I'm pretty sure there was a reference but I can't think of it

The Lion King- Valentino says where balls of gas come from

Treasure Planet (or Peter Pan)- there was a ship in a wish bubble... didn't look like the RLS Legacy so idk

Tangled- I doubt Magnifico's room being in the tower is a reference to Tangled...

Frozen- "We love crazy" said by the mushrooms

Zootopia- at the end, Valentino said he "wished" (not a wish bubble or anything) or wanted a metropolis where all mammals are equal and wear clothes

Frozen II- pack of deer around Asha reminded me of "Lost in the Woods;" I think there was another reference but I think it had to do with the deer...so similar
There’s something I’m interested to know: does Bazeema have a character arc where she starts off really shy but then becomes more courageous during the movie and at the end is completely sociable?
blackcauldron85

ElMaximo13 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:46 am

There’s something I’m interested to know: does Bazeema have a character arc where she starts off really shy but then becomes more courageous during the movie and at the end is completely sociable?
I don't know if I would say she's completely sociable, but yes, she starts out introverted and does get more courageous.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Dear all, I've been following this discussion for the past few weeks but I don't think I have yet shared my expectations for Wish.

If you had asked me my prediction one month ago, I would have said that I expect Wish to be a well-made, competent film, but not a great one. This is because what I saw in the trailers looked to be generally up to standard, but also derivative of recent female-led WDAS features. After these lukewarm-to-negative reviews, my expectations have really sunk, because it does seem the movie will be comprised of everything I was hoping would be in minimal supply.

Listen, I realise many of you love female-led WDAS films, but after The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Raya and Encanto, the studio needs to seriously rethink the feel-good, charming stories they cook up, headlined by feel-good, supposedly-charming, teenage heroines. Really, it's always the same character in different garb.

Which is why Wish is likely a creative failure. The centennial celebration film from WDAS should have been an veritable firework of creative juices, celebrating the familiar but doing something new and exciting at the same time. Instead, I suspect we get Tangled for the seventh time.

I will watch this in cinemas when it releases in Malta come November 29th, but I will be going to the cinema with a dark cloud over my head.
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:48 am
ElMaximo13 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:46 am

I don't know if I would say she's completely sociable, but yes, she starts out introverted and does get more courageous.
Thanks for replying. Something else I want to know is this: her official character description says that she’s “full of surprises”, but would it be possible for you to tell me what that means without any major spoilers?
blackcauldron85

ElMaximo13 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:26 am
Thanks for replying. Something else I want to know is this: her official character description says that she’s “full of surprises”, but would it be possible for you to tell me what that means without any major spoilers?
I don't know how big of a spoiler it is, and I won't tell you the context behind it, which would be a big spoiler, but she has a secret "hiding" spot... since she's an introvert, she likes to get away by herself sometimes.
Oh and also she appears and disappears often, which surprises The Teens.
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:28 am
ElMaximo13 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:26 am
I don't know how big of a spoiler it is, and I won't tell you the context behind it, which would be a big spoiler, but she has a secret "hiding" spot... since she's an introvert, she likes to get away by herself sometimes.
Oh and also she appears and disappears often, which surprises The Teens.
Thanks. I can’t wait to see the movie for myself to find out the context behind her hiding place. It sounds pretty interesting.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the film before December 7 :(
ElMaximo13
Limited Issue

Post by ElMaximo13 »

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I saw an early screening of Wish yesterday.

Screw Rotten Tomatoes! Screw all the naysaying critics!

We wanted a love letter from Disney Animation to its past and fans? We got it!

I won’t go into spoilers and I know I’m still on a post-movie high not even a full day later, but I will say I haven’t felt this genuinely happy about a Disney movie in forever! :D
Almofadinhas

Post by Almofadinhas »

While it's upsetting that the reviews aren't as good as I hoped, critics never really meant anything for my own enjoyment or anticipation of a movie. I'm still really looking forward to watching it next week!

Now that I have heard all the songs I'm very curious to see "At All Costs" on screen because I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those songs people play at Disney weddings :lol: I get that they're not singing towards each other but without that context it does sound romantic, or at most like a "You'll Be In My Heart" family love song. It really does sounds like they're singing towards a person and not something abstract like the wishes or Rosas with those lyrics though. It's also interesting how some languages have them addressing a singular "you" and others a plural. Still, it's a beautiful song! I'm waiting for visuals to rank them all.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

DisneyJedi wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:23 am I saw an early screening of Wish yesterday.

Screw Rotten Tomatoes! Screw all the naysaying critics!

We wanted a love letter from Disney Animation to its past and fans? We got it!

I won’t go into spoilers and I know I’m still on a post-movie high not even a full day later, but I will say I haven’t felt this genuinely happy about a Disney movie in forever! :D
Everytime someone says fuck critics I know the movie will be REALLY BAD...