The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Farerb »

A World Reimagined:
https://youtu.be/EX4Fp9rmYCw
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Ariel should defeat Ursula because she's the main character and Ursula is HER villain. But I assumed they'd find a way to make it work slightly different rather than have her ride the ship just like Eric (since she has no legs...). I was partial to my idea of Ariel shooting Ursula with the trident somehow. Partly because Ursula is trying to kill Ariel there in a sort of ironic way (having human things like the ships rising to ram her or force her out into the open), that it would be fitting for Ursula to instead die by the same power she was chasing the whole film (the trident). Much like Jafar's lust for power and the lamp is ultimately what undoes him.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I have always felt that the team behind The Little Mermaid was heavily influenced by Sleeping Beauty and that’s why Ursula transforms into a giant monster at the end for the Prince to slay. I imagine mermaid tails are actually quite muscular and powerful to swim through the water, so I don’t think it’s silly that she can find a way to balance herself and steer the ship. This is a change I was hoping for and I’m glad has been made. And to be honest, I think 1989 Ariel would have been 100% capable of saving herself too!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

First look at the live-action TLM LEGO set

The figures will actually be minifigures and not minidolls as initially thought.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Farerb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:03 am I saw this image as well:

Also, where is Ursula’s crown?
Farerb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:02 am A World Reimagined:
https://youtu.be/EX4Fp9rmYCw
I liked it. I always appreciate seeing behind the scenes footage. And McCarthy’s Ursula looks super fun and interesting.
Disney's Divinity

Ursula's crown is there, it's just grey instead of gold. :roll:

The image of Ariel driving the ship made me lmao, tbh. They could've made her the hero of her own story in a way that wasn't going to be instantaneously mocked like that will be.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the video, Farerb.

I liked your idea for Ariel defeating Ursula better, too, Divinity.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:29 pm Ursula's crown is there, it's just grey instead of gold. :roll:
No need to roll your eyes. It's the same color as her hair, anyone could have made that mistake.
Disney's Divinity

Nah, I was rolling my eyes at the crown being grey rather than gold, not at you, Sicoe. It's easy to miss with it being the same color as her hair now.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Woodrow Pride wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:35 am Here’s some full-quality TLM pictures:
Thanks for posting, Woodrow Pride! It's great to have those images in high-res. And in the case of the EW ones, to have them without the watermark.

Here are also the images from the Empire UK article in better quality: https://twitter.com/mmdisney200/status/ ... 7652052992

And this art on the back of a cereal box reveals Ursula is not only part octopus, but her design is also inspired by scorpion fish and manta rays. I guess the scorpion fish part is the collar, but I wonder what was inspired by manta rays. Also the collar? According to the box, Sebastian is based on a Cuban land crab, Flounder on a damselfish, and Triton can control the weather and the sea depending on his mood.

Source: https://twitter.com/aquamerald/status/1 ... 9369135105

Regarding Ursula, the latest promo shows she has a bit of an open back, although of course not like the original character's.

Source: https://twitter.com/mmdisney200/status/ ... 0031626252

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:45 am Nah, I was rolling my eyes at the crown being grey rather than gold, not at you, Sicoe. It's easy to miss with it being the same color as her hair now.
It looks greyish/brownish there, but I think it's because of the lighting of that scene. We've seen it on Triton and it's actually gold with turquoise stones.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, we've seen that Triton's crown is gold. I wouldn't be surprised if it changes color when Ursula wears it though. :roll:

I'm surprised they stopped at all those references. Why can't she be part crocodile and part shark, too? Surely she could be Gaston and Scar as well as the Evil Queen all at the same time.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:45 am Nah, I was rolling my eyes at the crown being grey rather than gold, not at you, Sicoe. It's easy to miss with it being the same color as her hair now.
Ah, okay. Good to know :) you can call me Vlad. Sicoe is my last name :)
Disney's Divinity

I wouldn't do that to you. :)

Triton's lower half has such an odd shape to it. The scales are very nice, that's what I expected for the tails out of the remake, but the shape of both Ariel's and Triton's tails are a mess.... If anything, the mermen had smaller tails, his is so huge, he looks serpentine. Sort of surprising that the sisters' tails turned out to have much nicer and less ridiculous designs than the two important characters did. At least Ursula's tentacles look nice, like an octopus and not a squid, as well as the hair and the lighting effects on her are purple and not green. I know her skin is not purple, but at least the colors around her reflecting off her are purple and not some other color not associated with the character.

I'm glad F&J aren't electric eels even if they do end up doing nothing. I think the idea of those two being changed species bothered me more than Ursula's tentacles glowing, since I always thoguht the single glowing eye on each design was much cooler than the idea of their whole bodies glowing. I wouldn't think I'd like the tentacles lighting up like they did in the trailer, but it sort of works with how almost all of her scenes are like a lightshow of colors, like a circus act which goes along with her carnival-esque theme music. (Suits an octopus, too, since they can change colors.)
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

That Ursula caption is obviously referring to the animated version (hence "her original design"). There are many concept drawings of her as a scorpion fish and a manta ray, before they settled on octopus/squid. They aren't saying the live action is based off of those fish.
Disney's Divinity

The animated version wasn't inspired by manta rays or scorpion fish at all though...? Maybe some concept art somewhere, they worked through like 50+ different designs it seems, the finished design only references an octopus. Whereas this one has the weird almost cape-like collar and luminescent ability that easily could reference something or other rather than simply octopus.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Her "final" design wasn't based on a scorpion fish or a manta ray, but some of her "original" designs were. No need to over-analyze a caption that is just poorly worded :lol:
Disney's Divinity

I wasn't overanalyzing the caption, just merely saying I don't agree with your reading of it. They didn't say "concept art," they said "original design." Considering the animated film's original design wasn't inspired by either of those things, it's more likely they're referring to the design in the film that they're promoting that seems to reference more than simply an octopus?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Could they mean original with the meaning of "innovative"? I did think they could be talking about the original Ursula at first, but since her design wasn't based on those animals (just the concept art, as you guys said) and the info about the other characters is all about the new movie, I thought maybe it was the other meaning of the word. In any case, it's just a cereal box; perhaps it is poorly worded or inaccurate after all.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:35 pm Triton's lower half has such an odd shape to it. The scales are very nice, that's what I expected for the tails out of the remake, but the shape of both Ariel's and Triton's tails are a mess.... If anything, the mermen had smaller tails, his is so huge, he looks serpentine. Sort of surprising that the sisters' tails turned out to have much nicer and less ridiculous designs than the two important characters did. At least Ursula's tentacles look nice, like an octopus and not a squid, as well as the hair and the lighting effects on her are purple and not green. I know her skin is not purple, but at least the colors around her reflecting off her are purple and not some other color not associated with the character.
It's true that Triton's tail looks disproportionate compared to the rest of his body. Perhaps it's the type of fish they based his tail on? And I thought Ursula still had purple skin in the remake, but you're right; it's just the reflections. Well, since she and Triton are siblings in this version, I guess it makes sense she doesn't have a different skin tone. It looking purple due to the lighting is actually a clever solution. By the way, I read somewhere that she being Triton's sister in this movie technically makes her a Disney princess. I guess that's true. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think the cereal box is referencing the originality of Ursula's design in the movie as well.

But where do we see her skin is not purple?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:08 am And are these King Triton's palace and throne room? I hope not, but I have a feeling they probably are.

We now have confirmation that those are indeed King Triton's palace and throne room, respectively, thanks to the book The Little Mermaid: Guide to Merfolk. According to it, the design of the palace is based on pillar coral.

The Underwater Palace
A sprawling place built of shell and limestone, with coral lawns and roofs festooned with clamshells, crystals, and pearls. There lived the Sea King, along with his seven daughters, royal advisor, royal guards, and merfolk of high status from near and far...
(Guide To Merfolk)

The palace is now based off of Pillar Coral.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrC2oRkszwG/

Source: https://twitter.com/pquenasereiabr/stat ... 5130412037

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:53 pm But where do we see her skin is not purple?
I'm still not totally sure whether it is or not, but it looks like it's the lighting in the first image below. In the second she looks quite purple, but so does Ariel, which could confirm it's the lighting of the place. We'll know for sure when we get some image of her outside her lair.