Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by carolinakid »

I’m queer and i don’t find Searcher Clade attractive at all. His nose is too bulbous. It looks like some kind of growth. Maybe he looks better in animation rather than in still shots.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Benja and Tadashi are hot to me...
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I see both sides of the argument for Searcher being Hot. He's kind of a sneaky hot to me, and I think Gyllenhaal's performance is what will tilt it over the edge honestly because he is just... dreamy.

I've also had a thing for Tadashi, so Disney shouldn't feel restrained to deliver more in that respect.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:42 am Benja and Tadashi are hot to me...
:drool: Oh God, I forgot about those two. Agreed 100%!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Strange World has ranked #8 most anticipated movie of November.
Most Anticipated Movies (November 2022)

01. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
02. Enola Holmes 2
03. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
04. Disenchanted
05. The Menu
06. Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
07. Slumberland
08. Strange World
09. Spirited
10. The Fabelmans
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/top-movies-nove ... ass-onion/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Last edited by D82 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I'm rooting for Strange World to defy all odds and perform like a sleeper breakout at the box office in America, assuming it's good or gets great reviews. I don't want Disney devaluing theatrical animated films anymore. And we all must come together to stop it from happening now or else Pixar may be in serious trouble post-2023.
Disney's Divinity

That picture of Ethan and the vehicle reminds me of that comparison thread between the Revival thread with the Renaissance in order of the film. The similarities to Atlantis (the next original film in the sequence even though it wasn't considered part of the Renaissance) are off the charts.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Toys of Atlantis, Treasure Planet & Strange World. I can see the similarities 8)
Attachments
zqABfO6.jpg
zqABfO6.jpg (235.49 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I should've said, it definitely feels like a combo of TP and Atlantis. The adventure into weird environments aspect of both those films, flying vehicles in both films, Ethan feels more like Jim while Searcher feels more like Milo (who idolized his grandfather), daddy issues abound as in Treasure Planet, etc. Liu's character reminds me a touch of Helga Sinclair, too, which may be why my impression was that she might be a villain for a long time....
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:I'm rooting for Strange World to defy all odds and perform like a sleeper breakout at the box office in America, assuming it's good or gets great reviews. I don't want Disney devaluing theatrical animated films anymore. And we all must come together to stop it from happening now or else Pixar may be in serious trouble post-2023.
I forgot to say that I also hope so. Although I'm skeptical of this film, I'm rooting for it to be successful and will be seeing it in theaters to support it!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

My The Art of Strange World book came! (Chronicle Books, (c) 2022, by Juan Pablo Reyes Lancaster Jones & Kalikolehua Hurley)

"As legend has it, the destiny of the people of Avalonia is to reconnect to the world beyond the impassable mountains that surround their home."

Jaeger was going to be dead and Searcher was going to find his bones!

"We open the film with a song dedicated to Jaeger Clade."

"Pando is a miracle plant. It's the oil of this world. The plant produces pods that have an amazing amount of electrical current in them, allowing Avalonians to go from horse and buggy to airships within a very short twenty-five-year time period. All Pando plants are connected underground."

The "Lightning Lynx" symbol we saw earlier (if that's what it's still called; too lazy to scroll) is Meridian's symbol, it's on the back of her vest in this mock up for an air show poster (I think from her backstory...don't know if that's part of the film or just exploratory).

There's an Avalonia, Pre-Pando, and Avalonia, Post-Pando (technologically advanced).

"Avalonia is a world where there are no cars or trucks as we would know them, nothing terrestrial. It's all based on inflatable air travel. Every vehicle is a version of a dirigible airship powered by Pando."

Ethan's friends are named Kardez, Azimuth, and Diazo (we knew that last one). "...were originally listed in the script simply as 'Hippie Teen, Disaffected Teen, and Cool Teen.'"

"There is no sun in the Strange World."

There are different parts of the Strange World: The Windy Jungle, based on lungs of animals; The Burning Sea, "a giant acid lake full of sulfur and other kinds of gasses;" Luna Glade- "each tree is modeled after an individual nerve cell;" The Amber Desert "is part of a montage of shots, so, like the Burning Sea, it's more of a backdrop environment...the inside...is inspired by desert landscapes and microphotography of pancreases;" The Mirrored Mesas, "part of a montage," "canyon-like environment;" The Petrified Cave- "the film climaxes there," "rock sculpture that would beat, like a heart."

Splat's "design is based on an immune system cell.". "Splat was the very first character we designed."

"In earlier versions of the story, Callisto was Jaeger's rough-and-tumble protege who wanted nothing more than to be the next great explorer."

Captain Pulk, a member of the ship's crew, is non-binary. "Within the team consisting of an engineer, a chef, a medic, a shipmate officer, an air traffic controller, a pilot, and more, we have people representing different racial backgrounds, body types, and gender identities."

"The Reapers are inspired by... white blood cells, that send out tentacle-like appendages to grab bacteria and foreign objects to clear them out of the body. To up the creepy factor, I added inspiration from microbial life in rivers...and... translucent eggs with aliens squirming around inside."
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:35 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:I'm rooting for Strange World to defy all odds and perform like a sleeper breakout at the box office in America, assuming it's good or gets great reviews. I don't want Disney devaluing theatrical animated films anymore. And we all must come together to stop it from happening now or else Pixar may be in serious trouble post-2023.
I forgot to say that I also hope so. Although I'm skeptical of this film, I'm rooting for it to be successful and will be seeing it in theaters to support it!
Thank you.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Here are the Top 10 Grossing Animated Features of 2022. As you can see, Minions proved that the animated-blockbuster is still alive in the post-covid world. Every other feature is under $250 worldwide, with Dreamworks The Bad Guys just missing the 250 mark. Strange World has to at least sur-pass DC Superhero Pets! If Strange World can pass Lightyear's $226 million, that would be quite good.

Also, according to Box Office Pro's forecast, it has Strange World doing $20-30 million over it's 3 day weekend opening. The film opens on a Wednesday, which will give it 5 days, Encanto made $40 million over it's 5 day Thanksgiving opening weekend.
I honestly don't see Strange World matching that. But anything over $30-35 million would be good. For long-term, Box Office Pro is predicting $68-103 million domestic. Both original features Encanto & The Bad Guys had $96+ million domestic hauls. I don't see Strange World matching them, unless it has really good word of mouth after it's opening weekend. It has 4 weeks to make money, cause on December 16, Avatar 2 drops! And on the 21st of December, PussNBoots 2 drops! We'll see in 3 weeks what Strange World has to offer 8)
Attachments
Scr54).png
Scr54).png (100.61 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyEra wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:48 pm Here are the Top 10 Grossing Animated Features of 2022. As you can see, Minions proved that the animated-blockbuster is still alive in the post-covid world. Every other feature is under $250 worldwide, with Dreamworks The Bad Guys just missing the 250 mark. Strange World has to at least sur-pass DC Superhero Pets! If Strange World can pass Lightyear's $226 million, that would be quite good.

Also, according to Box Office Pro's forecast, it has Strange World doing $20-30 million over it's 3 day weekend opening. The film opens on a Wednesday, which will give it 5 days, Encanto made $40 million over it's 5 day Thanksgiving opening weekend.
I honestly don't see Strange World matching that. But anything over $30-35 million would be good. For long-term, Box Office Pro is predicting $68-103 million domestic. Both original features Encanto & The Bad Guys had $96+ million domestic hauls. I don't see Strange World matching them, unless it has really good word of mouth after it's opening weekend. It has 4 weeks to make money, cause on December 16, Avatar 2 drops! And on the 21st of December, PussNBoots 2 drops! We'll see in 3 weeks what Strange World has to offer 8)
Well, let’s hope it gets great word of mouth with critics and audiences to do over $100M domestic or more.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:45 pm My The Art of Strange World book came! (Chronicle Books, (c) 2022, by Juan Pablo Reyes Lancaster Jones & Kalikolehua Hurley)

"As legend has it, the destiny of the people of Avalonia is to reconnect to the world beyond the impassable mountains that surround their home."

Jaeger was going to be dead and Searcher was going to find his bones!

"We open the film with a song dedicated to Jaeger Clade."

"Pando is a miracle plant. It's the oil of this world. The plant produces pods that have an amazing amount of electrical current in them, allowing Avalonians to go from horse and buggy to airships within a very short twenty-five-year time period. All Pando plants are connected underground."

The "Lightning Lynx" symbol we saw earlier (if that's what it's still called; too lazy to scroll) is Meridian's symbol, it's on the back of her vest in this mock up for an air show poster (I think from her backstory...don't know if that's part of the film or just exploratory).

There's an Avalonia, Pre-Pando, and Avalonia, Post-Pando (technologically advanced).

"Avalonia is a world where there are no cars or trucks as we would know them, nothing terrestrial. It's all based on inflatable air travel. Every vehicle is a version of a dirigible airship powered by Pando."

Ethan's friends are named Kardez, Azimuth, and Diazo (we knew that last one). "...were originally listed in the script simply as 'Hippie Teen, Disaffected Teen, and Cool Teen.'"

"There is no sun in the Strange World."

There are different parts of the Strange World: The Windy Jungle, based on lungs of animals; The Burning Sea, "a giant acid lake full of sulfur and other kinds of gasses;" Luna Glade- "each tree is modeled after an individual nerve cell;" The Amber Desert "is part of a montage of shots, so, like the Burning Sea, it's more of a backdrop environment...the inside...is inspired by desert landscapes and microphotography of pancreases;" The Mirrored Mesas, "part of a montage," "canyon-like environment;" The Petrified Cave- "the film climaxes there," "rock sculpture that would beat, like a heart."

Splat's "design is based on an immune system cell.". "Splat was the very first character we designed."

"In earlier versions of the story, Callisto was Jaeger's rough-and-tumble protege who wanted nothing more than to be the next great explorer."

Captain Pulk, a member of the ship's crew, is non-binary. "Within the team consisting of an engineer, a chef, a medic, a shipmate officer, an air traffic controller, a pilot, and more, we have people representing different racial backgrounds, body types, and gender identities."

"The Reapers are inspired by... white blood cells, that send out tentacle-like appendages to grab bacteria and foreign objects to clear them out of the body. To up the creepy factor, I added inspiration from microbial life in rivers...and... translucent eggs with aliens squirming around inside."
After all of this, I'm more convinced than ever that we were right about this film taking place in a living being of some kind. Which I think is a great twist, because other than design, nothing really hints towards it.There is a part of me that wonders if this idea of world being connected through electric currents flies a little too close to Avatar, but then again Avatar is straight up Pocahontas...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If it was really a great twist, we wouldn't have predicted it from the very first teaser.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think of us as a special crowd. Of course WE got it from the first trailer, but general audiences wouldn't. We're not general, we're special :lol: 8)
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

UGH!

Finally!

Disney is finally putting more effort into their marketing of their theatrical Thanksgiving film, Walt
Disney Animation Studios #StrangeWorld with a new featurette on the 5 main characters: https://youtu.be/hNIwDTHFg38.

Glad they’re finally doing more #StrangeWorld marketing since this film needs to be just as important of a hit for Disney as
Marvel Studios’ #BlackPanther: #WakandaForever, since this film is ushering in
Disney’s 100th Anniversary with their new logo and needs to prove animation is not just for kids and is an important medium for all ages at the box office.

Ain’t that right, guys?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Exclusive ‘Strange World’ Sneak Peek Coming to Disney Parks, Disney Cruise Line
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... uise-line/

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Strange World Advance Screening at Disney Springs—Walt Disney World
https://d23.com/d23-event/walt-disney-a ... ney-world/

Here are also the cover for the graphic novel, some standees/photo ops and a billboard:

Source: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/RH-Disney/d ... ref=sr_1_1

Source: https://twitter.com/stitchkingdom/statu ... 2385495040

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkizR3xJReA/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj6rD5Ss_Wy/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkEgLqay-nn/
Disney's Divinity

@ The graphic novel: Ethan and the grandfather look much better hand-drawn, but the Gyllenhaal's character looks better in 3D.