The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I guess the fifth song they wrote got cut
Hopefully it was the rap song and/or Scuttle's song.

As for the reprises, they're probably repeating what happened with Aladdin, where there was a "One Jump Ahead (Reprise 1)" and "One Jump Ahead (Reprise 2)." I loved that addition, so I'm hoping they might do the same here, perhaps have Ariel sing sadly on the rock before Triton decides to make her human. I didn't open the link you posted Sotiris, but the sad reprise I've described here before (the one where she says, "I'd give my life, I'd sell my soul, because I can feel I'll never be whole") was supposed to be where POYW (reprise) was in the original film, only they rightly decided to have something more daring and triumphant instead. They could definitely use pieces of that one if they have her sing on the rock ("But I can see...I'll never be poyw"), only for Triton to rise at a distance, hearing what she's saying and taking pity on her.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

D82 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 am Halle Bailey talks about the songs in a new interview. Does she mean there'll be new reprises to "Part of Your World"?
Alan and Lin-Manuel wrote four new amazing songs, and Ariel has one more song, as well as additional reprises to "Part of Your World".
Source: https://youtu.be/wFyVzTSKfI8?t=65
Oh, that is great. I'm thinking they might add a moment of her watching tearfully as Eric's wedding ship parts, with one of the reprises singing in the background. The one with really sad lyrics. I don't know if I remember them correctly, but they go something like this: "I'd give my life, I'd sell my soul, cause I can feel I'll never be whole. But I can see I'll never be part of your world..."

There was a demo sung by Alan Menken on the "Music Behind the Magic" CD set. I've always wondered why they never included those on the Legacy Collection CD.

EDIT: Now I see someone actually posted the song and talked about this possibility. :lol: :lol:
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

nomad2010 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:06 pm New interview with Halle Bailey for Entertainment Weekly where she states what we’ve all presumed:
She adds that the film brings a "new story" to The Little Mermaid, one that's not just about "falling in love and wanting a boy and wanting the above world."

"It's more about what [Ariel] sees for herself and her future and her passion," she says.
https://ew.com/movies/little-mermaid-ha ... interview/
Ariel will be an inventor, won't she?
Disney's Divinity

No, she's going to have superpowers like Mulan.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

We'll see a cameo with Aquaman, perhaps. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 am We'll see a cameo with Aquaman, perhaps. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think there's already a meme for that :oops: :twisted: :lol:

I guess I'll wait to see what they do, but Ariel already does have an idea of what she wants for herself... to be human. To me it's just added fluff that historically in these remakes barely pays off.
Disney's Divinity

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 am We'll see a cameo with Aquaman, perhaps. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 am
I think there's already a meme for that :oops: :twisted: :lol:

I guess I'll wait to see what they do, but Ariel already does have an idea of what she wants for herself... to be human. To me it's just added fluff that historically in these remakes barely pays off.
I know, right?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

We’re up to 3 million dislikes!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lin-Manuel Miranda Blasts Racist ‘Little Mermaid’ Trolls: ‘Halle Bailey Is Perfect for the Part’
https://variety.com/2022/film/columns/l ... 235385039/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

carolinakid wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:26 pm We’re up to 3 million dislikes!
Are you proud of this?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just keeping those informed who may be interested. I’m ambivalent toward the whole race swapping issue. I don’t watch any live action remakes of Disney animated classics, so I don’t have a horse in this race.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:17 am Just keeping those informed who may be interested. I’m ambivalent toward the whole race swapping issue. I don’t watch any live action remakes of Disney animated classics, so I don’t have a horse in this race.

I don’t think anybody is interested😘
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Then they should just keep on going, without commenting if they’re not interested. No sense deliberately allowing oneself to be triggered.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

The exclamation point at the end implied excitement about there being 3 million dislikes. It was off-putting.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:56 pm Lin-Manuel Miranda Blasts Racist ‘Little Mermaid’ Trolls: ‘Halle Bailey Is Perfect for the Part’
Unfortunately, the "talent" behind this film (Marshall, Miranda :roll: ), can cry "racist!" until they're blue in the face, but that won't stop the film's success from being cut into to degrees by all their changes. I don't believe this film will do the same numbers as the other Fab Four remakes at this point, although I expect it'll probably still manage Maleficent-level numbers. Speaking of the dislikes, I believe it passed the number previously held by Ghostbusters (2016)--I can't recall if the TLM remake now has the most dislikes of any Hollywood film or it's only second place--and that film didn't do well in the end, so who knows. A lot of people like me will still see the film, buy the soundtrack, etc., but still roll their eyes that they couldn't just let the film be like the original.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:02 pm
Sotiris wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:56 pm Lin-Manuel Miranda Blasts Racist ‘Little Mermaid’ Trolls: ‘Halle Bailey Is Perfect for the Part’
Unfortunately, the "talent" behind this film (Marshall, Miranda :roll: ), can cry "racist!" until they're blue in the face, but that won't stop the film's success from being cut into to degrees by all their changes. I don't believe this film will do the same numbers as the other Fab Four remakes at this point, although I expect it'll probably still manage Maleficent-level numbers. Speaking of the dislikes, I believe it passed the number previously held by Ghostbusters (2016)--I can't recall if the TLM remake now has the most dislikes of any Hollywood film or it's only second place--and that film didn't do well in the end, so who knows. A lot of people like me will still see the film, buy the soundtrack, etc., but still roll their eyes that they couldn't just let the film be like the original.
Let’s face it, if the remake/reboot has Everything from the original, there will be no point in going to see it let alone it truly existing, Even if that may have them be more “successful” for just because someone believes that it is successful, and or even has it be such, it is not in the end over all so matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem :-)
Last edited by Patricier21 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

I think the only reason the remakes exist, whether they change things or they're more faithful, is simply to make money. Simplyl I'd rather they be more in the faithful vein, and I'd argue that's been the more successful route for them as far as making money goes as well.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Let's see if they really make this unfaithful. All we know for sure is some gender and race-swapping, which is purely superficial and not what I would call very unfaithful, and the minor super powers for some merpeople, which still aren't enough for Ariel to make herself human, so that isn't much of change either. Let's just wait and see if this film will truly be unfaithful or not.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

It all depends on what route the movie will take. Will it take the Beauty and the Beast route, where it takes itself too seriously and has to make everything historically accurate? Or will it take the Aladdin route, where it will be more laid-back, fun and not afraid to be a bit silly at times?