Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How Did Legend in Strange World Get His Name?
https://mamasgeeky.com/2022/09/strange- ... -name.html

I am already obsessed with Legend.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Trailer reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jDNgiogcF4

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:24 pm I don't know if that's true. Maybe it is, but I do know Qui Nguyen worked on Strange World, prior to having re-write Raya and the Last Dragon.
I learned that some days ago. It's really interesting that he started working on this film first. I though he had been first hired by Disney to work on Raya since he's of Vietnamese descent, and then he continued working for the studio on another film, but it's actually the opposite. It's curious that when Jennifer Lee decided to replace Raya's original directors and add a screenwriter, she chose people who were already working on other projects instead of ones that were free. Don and Qui were making this movie and Carlos López Estrada his personal project. Maybe she liked the job they were doing and that's why she trusted them to save Raya?
Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:15 am I agree, this is being marketed as a "boy's film," they were going to advertise either Wreck-It Ralph or Big Hero 6--the last "boy's films" they made. And then tag on Encanto because it was their most recent success; much like with The Lion King, they can't coast on Frozen forever.
I also agree. I think that was exactly the reasoning behind choosing those titles.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 am The composition of the poster and the shading of the characters remind me of posters for The Road to El Dorado and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.
It also reminds me of these two posters:

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 am The dynamic between the three generations of Clades feels very safe and formulaic. Searcher will learn to be less protective of his son and let him pursue his own interests and he and his dad will learn to appreciate each other and the different set of skills and worldview they each bring to the table, and they will all become closer by the end.
I agree it's very predictable, but so are other family relationships in Disney movies, like Anna and Elsa's in Frozen, for example, not to mention the romantic ones. I still find it interesting, though. I especially like it because it feels fresh for a WDAS movie, as there hasn't been any about three generations of the same family before. Encanto was similar, but there it was mainly about the relationship between Mirabel and Abuela Alma. Although, it's true that the way Searcher's father raised him having a big effect on how he raises his own child, does remind a lot of Encanto.

Anyway, that aspect of the movie looks good to me, but we'll have to see how it's executed in the film. Right now, Searcher and Ethan look likeable to me, but Jaeger not so much. However, I guess he'll also have a softer side, which will be explored in the film. That portrait of him and his wife with Searcher as a baby makes me suspect he lost his wife quite early and had to raise Searcher on his own, and that probably has something to do with their relationship being difficult. Speaking of these two characters, it seems this movie is also partly based on something personal for one of the directors:
The world created here is quite creative, and a seemingly impressive blend of sci-fi, adventure, and the charming dynamic of the family has me curious for what’s to come. And with a cast that includes Gyllenhaal, Young-White, Union, Quaid, Tudyk, and the impressive Lucy Liu as Callisto Mal, Disney may have something magical on their hands. From the footage shown and the clear personal touch of Hall’s own relationship with his father and sons.

“My dad and I have a great relationship. He is a farmer, and I grew up helping out. But when I was 14 years old, it all changed. Suddenly, I was planting and doing more high-level stuff that I just didn’t want to do. It wasn’t me. It all turned out fine, but I always remembered that and thought it would be interesting to explore father/son relationships and the kind of expectations we put on our kids – intentionally or unintentionally.”
Source: https://www.joblo.com/joblo-gets-an-ear ... nge-world/

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 am You'd think she'd look more like her voice actress like it usually happens in animation, but unfortunately that's not the case here.
Actually, none of the voice actors look too much like their characters in this movie. Well, except maybe Ethan. I think the voices work well for their appearances, though.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm They're not trying to sabotage it. They just know they have a dud in their hands and are trying to mitigate its probable failure by sandwiching it between guaranteed hits.
I think that's likely. I hope the same is not true regarding Disenchanted.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm It`s remarkable that the movies that were promoted were Big Hero 6 and Encanto. It`s fine that they`re not using Frozen anymore, since Frozen is a different genre :P But it`s remarkable how they`re using Encanto, when a more relevant example would`ve been either Zootopia or even Wreck-it-Ralph (for having a male demographic).
That's true, but they already had Big Hero 6 for the male demographic. They also needed something for the female one.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm The "I`m a huge fan... of your dad" joke was lame and felt out of place.
Well, I admit the guy asking Searcher to forge his father's signature didn't make much sense, but the joke still made me laugh.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm I liked that poster! I liked the poses, the colors and the overall vibe of it.
Personally, I neither loved it nor hated it, but one thing I did like is that the differences between the three character's personalities are evident by their expressions and poses.
DisneyEra wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:00 pm If Raya & Encanto are gonna use the Pandemic as an excuse for their low Box Office, then we have to excuse Atlantis & Treasure Planet too. Atlantis failed because of Shrek 1 & the Live-Action Tomb Raider. Treasure Planet failed because it went heads up against the Harry Potter sequel Chamber of Secrets.
Also, 2D animation wasn't doing good back in the early 2000s. Other than Lilo & Stitch & Hayao Miyazaki films, every studio had a 2D bomb. They had no chance against Ice Age, Shrek & Pixar films.

And what about Lightyear? Did the pandemic hurt that film too? And how did Minions 2 gross over $900 million this summer? I'm tired of the 2020 features using the pandemic as an excuse for their low Box Office, but the early 2000 features, no excuses, they just were bad & killed 2D animation.
Lightyear's case actually reminds me a lot of Atlantis and Treasure Planet's. I think the mistake all of them made is focusing too much on attracting teenagers and adults in their marketing campaigns and they lost their main audience in the process. I don't think Strange World has the same problem, but we'll see.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Strange World officially rated PG: https://www.filmratings.com/Content/Dow ... lletin.pdf.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot and still:

Source: https://ew.com/movies/fall-movies-preview-2022/

blackcauldron85 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:44 pm Some merchandise (clothing anyway) is now available:

https://www.boxlunch.com/search?q=%22st ... ng=default

https://www.hottopic.com/search?q=%22st ... rt=0&sz=60
Thanks for posting! I wonder what the symbol below is about. The name of a club in the film, perhaps?

It also seems Avalonia's Geographic Society will play a role in the movie:

There's a figurine set on Amazon now as well. The description reveals the purple creature is called Reaper and Callisto Mal's full name is Doyenne Callisto Mal.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/40115/dp/B09ZCLQH99/ref=sr_1_3
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

D82 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:03 pm New TV spot and still.
New TV spot, eh. Well, what do you know. They're actually marketing this movie. I've seen equally two spots for Strange World and two spots for Black Panther 2 on TV
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Maybe I just have Robbie Coltrane's passing on the brain (rest in peace :( :( :( ), but the grandfather here sort of makes me think of Hagrid. Sort of a kooky, crazy outdoorsy wildman type. I don't love the design, but I get what they're going for. Searcher and Ethan (I think I got the names right)--the father and son--'s designs have grown on me a great deal. It's still the mother who has the blandest design. I guess we can assume she has little to no role considering.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Looks like Strange World has Thanksgiving to itself at the movies with no streaming competition on Disney+ now that DisEnchanted has moved up to hit Disney+ on November 18th.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm Looks like Strange World has Thanksgiving to itself at the movies with no streaming competition on Disney+ now that DisEnchanted has moved up to hit Disney+ on November 18th.
I've seen that news too, The DisInsider reported it as well as some other news sites, though none of the big ones. Apparently, the info comes from an official press release where that date appears twice:

Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 5513315329

However, Almanaque Disney noted that the press release was taken down by Disney, so it's likely it was just a typo. Unless Disney has indeed decided to change the release date, but doesn't want to reveal it yet.
UPDATE: Disney has taken down the material that quoted the premiere date of 'Disenchanted' as being on November 18 (more than once, even).

If they re-publish and eventually confirm the premiere for the 24th, we'll bring you the correct information.
Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 9659000832

Releasing the film on the 18th would make sense since, as you said, it would mean less competition for Strange World. And they recently announced the soundtrack will come out that same day, which could mean it's true, but I think it's strange to change the date so close to the release. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I personally think it's quite unlikely the date has been moved up.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

D82 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm Looks like Strange World has Thanksgiving to itself at the movies with no streaming competition on Disney+ now that DisEnchanted has moved up to hit Disney+ on November 18th.
I've seen that news too, The DisInsider reported it as well as some other news sites, though none of the big ones. Apparently, the info comes from an official press release where that date appears twice:

Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 5513315329

However, Almanaque Disney noted that the press release was taken down by Disney, so it's likely it was just a typo. Unless Disney has indeed decided to change the release date, but doesn't want to reveal it yet.
UPDATE: Disney has taken down the material that quoted the premiere date of 'Disenchanted' as being on November 18 (more than once, even).

If they re-publish and eventually confirm the premiere for the 24th, we'll bring you the correct information.
Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 9659000832

Releasing the film on the 18th would make sense since, as you said, it would mean less competition for Strange World. And they recently announced the soundtrack will come out that same day, which could mean it's true, but I think it's strange to change the date so close to the release. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I personally think it's quite unlikely the date has been moved up.
Oh, I think it's likely and maybe they're just waiting until next week to announce it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:06 pm Oh, I think it's likely and maybe they're just waiting until next week to announce it.
You know what? I've thought more about it, and now I don't see it that unlikely. I was thinking more of how it works with theatrical movies, where changing the release date so close to the opening day is very unusual, but this is a streaming movie, so maybe it's a different situation. Andor, for example, was pushed back a couple of weeks only a month before its original release date. And I think it has happened more times. In that case it was a TV series, but I guess it could also happen with a movie.

One thing that makes me suspect it could be true is that Disney took the press release down, but apparently hasn't released a new one. If it was just a typo, they could've corrected the mistake and published it again immediately, right? The soundtrack coming out on the 18th could also be an indication of that, since I think they're usually available the same day of release when it comes to Disney+ movies. At least it was the case of the last two, Pinocchio and Hocus Pocus 2.

The second trailer must arrive any day now, so if they're waiting to announce it officially, maybe their plan is to do it with the new trailer. On the other hand, the film has just been added to the "upcoming releases" section on Disney+ Spain with its current date and Disney Spain has released the Spanish version of the poster today, which also features the same date, so we'll see. I hope you're right and they've indeed moved it up. That would be beneficial for both films, in my opinion, and it would be great to get Disenchanted a little earlier.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

New poster and TV spot.

Looks like Disney is hearing the outcry to put more marketing into this movie.

Now if only they can give Strange World an IMAX release with Creed III delayed to March 2023.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I haven’t seen so little hype for a new Disney animated film like this since mid 2000's
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^On this forum or online in general?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I feel like both are fair.

It's weird to me that this is only a month and a few days away.

I hadn't really returned to the forum before Encanto came out, but I will say out in public it didn't really seem to get a lot of attention either before it's release. Maybe we'll see a lot more of a push this coming week. I could believe that in today's short sighted/minded economy it might be best to save your marketing for an animated film until the final month. :-?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 am ^On this forum or online in general?
In general, but maybe it's just my impression. Anytime I see Disney post about it, it doesn't seem to get a lot of comments and the ones that do comment don't seem particularly enthusiastic about it.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:44 am
Sotiris wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 am ^On this forum or online in general?
In general, but maybe it's just my impression. Anytime I see Disney post about it, it doesn't seem to get a lot of comments and the ones that do comment don't seem particularly enthusiastic about it.
That’ll change if reviews are strong.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:19 pm That’ll change if reviews are strong.
That didn't help Bros. Not to be contrarian, but good reviews don't equal ticket sales.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

singerguy04 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:32 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:19 pm That’ll change if reviews are strong.
That didn't help Bros. Not to be contrarian, but good reviews don't equal ticket sales.
Well, unlike Bros, Strange World so far isn’t alienating the majority of its audiences nor is it having too many preview screenings like Bros and Love Simon did. And hopefully the failure of Lightyear and how that press your handled the far-right’s complaints about Lightyear’s LGBTQ scene will be a warning to Disney to make sure they have the cast of Strange World told not to comment on people hating on the LGBTQ elements of Strange World in a nasty way and will instead have the cast say “you know, it is unfortunate that we still have to deal with people who are struggling to accept LGBTQ people in this world, but we hope people will give this movie a chance and learn that the LGBTQ elements in Strange World’s story are about teaching kids about compassion and love, not teaching kids about sex.”