Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by Sotiris »

Mark Henn's is even more vague.
Q: There’s a new “Tiana” show, are you coming back?

Mark Henn: We’ll see. I can’t say anything on that.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/disney-sketchbo ... ull-house/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

What were they thinking? This new sketchbook series would require for all of them to do press. Did they think nobody was going to ask about Tiana?

They’re really messy.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney was really vague about "the return of Hand Drawn animation" and they haven't even officially announced it or anything, but if they had been really serious about it, they wouldn't have had a problem announcing it for this show. The fact that they haven't should be a red flag.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Farerb wrote:Disney was really vague about "the return of Hand Drawn animation" and they haven't even officially announced it or anything, but if they had been really serious about it, they wouldn't have had a problem announcing it for this show. The fact that they haven't should be a red flag.
But there's no way this can be hand-drawn. It's too soon, and there's no manpower for it. A hand-drawn feature film would be easier to do than a hand-drawn series, due to latter's length.

Let's not forget that a hand-drawn animated series from WDAS would be expected to have animation quality that is either at the feature level, or at most, a notch below - but certainly not TV quality.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This is going to be 6 episodes when each is 15-20 minutes long, so approximately 2 hours for the whole series, it's not that longer than a feature length movie.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Farerb wrote:This is going to be 6 episodes when each is 15-20 minutes long, so approximately 2 hours for the whole series, it's not that longer than a feature length movie.
Oh!

I thought they were aiming longer and bigger, like those seemingly neverending Netflix Original Series.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So about the animation, were people saying they think it'll look sort of like the "hand-drawn" characters in the Rescue Rangers movie? If it's that, well... I don't like it, but I still prefer that over 3D, jmo. Even if this thing was hideous, I'd still watch it, I admit.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

If they want to fake hand drawn they would be better off doing it like the lion guard. That looks more faithful than the chip and dale method which I don't care for much. I'm not sure which studio was responsible for that but even paperman looked better than what they are doing there.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Kyle wrote:If they want to fake hand drawn they would be better off doing it like the lion guard. That looks more faithful than the chip and dale method which I don't care for much. I'm not sure which studio was responsible for that but even paperman looked better than what they are doing there.
I think The Lion Guard was by Mercury Filmworks.

And alas, the Paperman technique must be very elaborate and not an efficient means with which to churn out a series. Guess that's why it looks so pretty!
Disney's Divinity

Kyle wrote:If they want to fake hand drawn they would be better off doing it like the lion guard. That looks more faithful than the chip and dale method which I don't care for much. I'm not sure which studio was responsible for that but even paperman looked better than what they are doing there.
I wouldn't say "even Paperman"--to me, Paperman was high quality. I don't think Disney is willing to shell out the $$$ to make something beautiful like that otherwise they would've done it years ago. So that's not even an option.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Well, I was lucky enough to be the last person to ask Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn a question in the Q&A portion of their conversation at the Walt Disney Animation Studios booth at the D23 Expo.

They talked a lot about how the people at Disney know that hand-drawn animation is important for Disney's fans and have heard their pleas to bring it back, and before I asked my question, they said they were working on a feature at Disney that has a lot of hand-drawn animation that's under wraps.

So my question I asked them was if they could now confirm, since we're all at D23, if the upcoming Disney+ series Tiana would be hand-drawn animated or if that info is still under wraps, to which they said "that's still under wraps, but nice try, we appreciate that you care about that information."

So, I guess we're still waiting until next year to find out if Tiana will be hand-drawn animated when it hits Disney+ in 2023.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't like this secrecy. I think if they had truly made it hand drawn, they would have announced it by now.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Judging by their response, it's clear Tiana is not going to be hand-drawn animated. There's no reason to keep holding onto false hope. It's going to be cel-shaded CG garbage. *barf*
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for the info and for asking that question, D23ExpoVisitor25! It's a shame they couldn't give you an answer, but it's encouraging to hear they know fans want hand-drawn animation back and that Disney is at least taking some steps in that direction. It seems it's going to take longer than we thought, though.
Farerb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:16 pm I don't like this secrecy. I think if they had truly made it hand drawn, they would have announced it by now.
Disenchanted seems to have hand-drawn animation in it and they still haven't announced it officially, so who knows. But I agree it doesn't look good.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:47 pm Judging by their response, it's clear Tiana is not going to be hand-drawn animated. There's no reason to keep holding onto false hope. It's going to be cel-shaded CG garbage. *barf*
The Pixar shorts and TV series tend to be in the same animation technique and of a similar animation quality, so I thought the same would happen with WDAS, but after seeing the first look at Iwájú, I'm not so sure anymore.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:47 pm Judging by their response, it's clear Tiana is not going to be hand-drawn animated. There's no reason to keep holding onto false hope. It's going to be cel-shaded CG garbage. *barf*
I am very certain you are correct in this assumption. I don't think they'll go full CGI on us, but the cel-shading we keep getting looks likely. I wonder if in the future we'll look back at these cel-shaded projects how we look at the xerox method projects? We don't love it, but story still shined though and there's a bit of nostalgia attached.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It seems that Tiana will be delayed to 2024:
https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 6nI8w&s=19
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

To me, this delay of Tiana to a 2024 release on Disney+ is a good sign that they are giving the series more time to look real-2D-hand-drawn-animated and not fake-2D-cel-shaded animated like Chip looked in the movie. And I also think its delay is to help to it coincide with the year of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in the Disney Parks and for the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog.

Sorry, @Sotiris, @Faerb, and @D82, I know you don’t share my optimism that Tiana will be hand-drawn animated, even though the Disney+ Day 2021 concept art screamed hand-drawn animated to me, but I have to believe the delay of Tiana by a year gives me hope it’ll be in the classic style of Disney animated classics from Snow White in 1937 to Winnie the Pooh in 2011. So, I would appreciate it if you three could try to be optimistic and believe Tiana will be hand-drawn animated until there’s proof it won’t be. Because right now, I feel the signs are in our favor, since Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn said real 2D-hand-drawn animation is known to be something people want more of by the folks at The Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

So, stop being negative and fear-mongering, try to be a bit hopeful and optimistic about it, and believe Tiana will be in the classic Disney animation style come 2024 on Disney+.

I’ve seen a lot of negativity in these message boards when it comes to modern day Disney and I’d appreciate some hopeful and cautious optimism, especially since I’m in a bit of a rough time with my family right now due to a lot of issues I don’t wanna talk about or it’ll make me more sad.
Last edited by D23ExpoVisitor25 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

I thought this was pretty much known at this point already... Even someone like me who believes hand-drawn animation may be looking on the up at Disney because of streaming in the next 5-10 years knows they don't have the capability right now, and Tiana is being made right now, not years from now, so... It would be quite a miracle if it turned out to be somehow.

I wish that the series could have a stylized look like the Tangled TV series (perhaps imitating the look of the "Almost There" scene from the film). Such a shame they didn't put Sonnenburg on something like this rather than allowing him to become a competitor, he could've really done wonders with this property if he made Tangled work.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:52 pm
I thought this was pretty much known at this point already... Even someone like me who believes hand-drawn animation may be looking on the up at Disney because of streaming in the next 5-10 years knows they don't have the capability right now, and Tiana is being made right now, not years from now, so... It would be quite a miracle if it turned out to be somehow.

I wish that the series could have a stylized look like the Tangled TV series (perhaps imitating the look of the "Almost There" scene from the film). Such a shame they didn't put Sonnenburg on something like this rather than allowing him to become a competitor, he could've really done wonders with this property if he made Tangled work.
In my opinion, the extra year of a delay gives me hope that it will be hand-drawn as is it will be released and made 2 years from now, NOT right now, and has probably been worked on since 2019/2020, i.e. for 5 years since Disney+ was born.

BTW, I should also include you too, Disney’s Divinity, as someone who should stop being negative and believe Tiana has a chance to be hand-drawn animated.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm To me, this delay of Tiana to a 2024 release on Disney+ is a good sign that they are giving the series more time to look real-2D-hand-drawn-animated and not fake-2D-cel-shaded animated like Chip looked in the movie. And I also think its delay is to help to it coincide with the year of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in the Disney Parks and for the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog.
My first thought when I saw it had been postponed was also that it could be a good sign, but we'll have to wait and see. Making its release coincide with the year of the opening of the Disney parks attraction and the film's anniversary makes a lot of sense. You're probably right about that.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm I’ve seen a lot of negativity in these message boards when it comes to modern day Disney and I’d appreciate some hopeful and cautious optimism, especially since I’m in a bit of a rough time with my family right now due to a lot of issues I don’t wanna talk about or it’ll make me more sad.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you and your family. Regarding the negativity, all we're doing is just speculate. The truth is that none of us knows yet if it's going to be hand-drawn animated or not. Like you, we all want it to be, but we don't want to get our hopes up and then be disappointed. But it's great if you believe it will. Maybe you'll turn out to be right and not us. I know it's difficult when everybody else is negative about something you like or believe. It has happened to me too. But I think the best advice for situations like this is what was just said in The Little Mermaid thread. It's better not to care too much what other people think or say, what's important is what you believe or like. By the way, I wanted to clarify that I'm not totally pessimistic about this. I'm just less confident it'll be hand-drawn now, but I don't think it's impossible.