Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella (TV Series)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella (TV Series)

Post by Sotiris »

There’s a limited series based on Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella in the works from Jennifer Lopez‘s Nuyorican Productions, Skydance Television, and Concord Originals. The project is an original take on the musical to be written by Rachel Shukert (GLOW, The Baby-Sitters Club) who will also executive produce and serve as showrunner. This marks the first project under the previously announced deal between the companies to develop a slate of original projects based on Concord’s vast catalog of musicals.

Lopez, along with partners Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and Benny Medina, will executive produce for Nuyorican Productions. David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Bill Bost will executive produce for Skydance, alongside Sophia Dilley, Senior Vice President of Development and Production at Concord Originals, and Concord CEO Scott Pascucci.

"The story of Cinderella is as timeless now as ever,” said Bill Bost, President of Skydance Television. “This aspirational story of romance, unconventional families, and the surprising power of wishes has inspired audiences around the world for centuries, and we are thrilled to be working with Jennifer, Rachel, Concord, and The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization to bring our fresh take to the screen.”

“Rodgers & Hammerstein elevated the already magical story of Cinderella with their iconic music that has attracted legends of screen and stage throughout its many beloved, award-winning iterations over the years,” added Dilley. “Our partnership with Skydance and Nuyorican on this project is the first step of many towards our collective goal of championing timeless classics for a new generation and Rachel is the perfect voice to expand upon this story in a contemporary way.”
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/05/jennifer-l ... 235021215/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Re: Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella (TV Series)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I wonder if each episode will have one or two songs in it...I wonder if all the songs will be in it...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know how they can stretch a two hour musical into a TV series beyond, like, 4 half hour episodes, but obviously I'm really looking forward to this...now. We'll see if it still looks good when we hear and see more.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't get how they'd be able to stretch it out either, but I'm curious. Perhaps they'll borrow R&H songs from their other musicals as necessary? Sort of the way the Whitney version gave Bernadette Peters' Stepmother a song (and I thought it worked really well!).

I wish JLO wasn't involved, I don't care for her. She did star in Maid in Manhatten (which I always thought of as a sort of Cinderella adaptation itself--it was always my favorite film of hers after Selena).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're probably right they will be mining non-Cinderella R+H songs for this. I wish they'd write new songs, though, just in their style.

I was hoping for something better than JLo too, and something better than a Babysitters Club writer, but I'm always optimistic. Maid in Manhatten is totally a Cinderella adaptation, though I never saw it.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Why does this need to be a TV show though? Just make it a TV special, like the previous versions of R&H's Cinderella.

I also wonder who they'll cast as Cinderella. Most people nowadays associate R&H's Cinderella with the version from the 90s, so I definitely think this is also gonna be a very diverse cast like in that movie.