Pirates of the Caribbean 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Post by Sotiris »

Jerry Bruckheimer Says Johnny Depp Will Not Be Playing Jack Sparrow Again 'at This Point'
https://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depp-jer ... r-pirates/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

There’s no point in making this without him. Public opinion has turned against Amber. People want Johnny in the role and they will boycott it without him.

The new Aquaman is receiving a boycott treatment. It’s going to be brutal.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I think that the problem with Deep is not only because Amber's issue. I think that He's not so leasable like before and making a film with him means pay a lot of money for something that might not be a success. Let's be honest, the last movie was not a hit like the rest of the saga...
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

PatrickvD wrote:There’s no point in making this without him. Public opinion has turned against Amber. People want Johnny in the role and they will boycott it without him.

The new Aquaman is receiving a boycott treatment. It’s going to be brutal.
I still cannot understand why they're even considering the project.

Do they not realise it is dead in the water? Surely you do not need to be a business expert to know this?

If they go through with this, spending millions on expensive VFX for a movie that will almost certainly tank, then they really have no excuse for not greenlighting another fully hand-drawn animated feature! :lol:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney will make another film without Depp. If it's successful then they don't need him anymore. If it's not then that's the end of a franchise that really should have been only one movie.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Farerb wrote:Disney will make another film without Depp. If it's successful then they don't need him anymore. If it's not then that's the end of a franchise that really should have been only one movie.
But now they Disney+ too so they can earn more money with that. Let's be honest, a new Pirates of the Caribbean new movie on Disney+ can be a great chance to earn more subscribers.
In my opinion They can do great things with this franchise without Deep. They created a whole universe from one attraction so They can create a new great movie again. The problem is that this whole Deep thing is creating controversy so, like someone said before, lot of people are going to boicot the movie...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I also find saying Depp is the main reason "Pirates of the Caribbean" was so successful erases Gore Verbinski's contributions to the first three films. Yes, Jack Sparrow was popular with audiences. But Verbinski (along with Jerry Bruckheimer, Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio) was the one steering the ship and was significant in creating the world people became invested in and putting together the action sequences that excited them. He also allowed Depp to use his Keith Richards impression, even though several Disney executives (including Michael Eisner) thought the performance would be a disaster.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thumper_93 wrote:I think that the problem with Deep is not only because Amber's issue. I think that He's not so leasable like before and making a film with him means pay a lot of money for something that might not be a success. Let's be honest, the last movie was not a hit like the rest of the saga...
The film did over twice its budget, it was successful.

The franchise won't be anything without Johnny Depp. Everybody knows that, only Disney would like to convince themselves that's not true right now. But deep down even they have to know otherwise they wouldn't have kept him all these years while letting Knightley and Bloom fly the coop. Good luck making a PotC franchise without him work!
PatrickvD wrote:The new Aquaman is receiving a boycott treatment. It’s going to be brutal.
That's a shame because it's not Jason Mamoa's fault that Amber Heard is a snake. Personally, I don't care if Depp and/or Heard both continue to work, it's just this unequal treatment of Depp when it turns out Heard was the abusive one that I find insane. Most people see this as just another celebrity divorce carnival at this point--I don't think either one of them should be "banned" from working again, since they were in a mutually destructive relationship.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Now that Johnny Depp has won his defamation case against Amber Heard, do you think Disney will allow him to return as Jack Sparrow?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Now that Johnny Depp has won his defamation case against Amber Heard, do you think Disney will allow him to return as Jack Sparrow?
Time to whip out another Picasso painting I guess? :milkbuds:

I mean, he said he wouldn’t return even if Disney offered $300 million. But we all know there’s nothing money can’t buy. And Disney can’t do this without him.

With his reputation restored a 6th Pirates is a guaranteed blockbuster.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, wow, he won? My mother's been watching the trial everyday, but I've mostly ignored it. I saw a little of it one day when I was up at her house and Heard really slipped up that day with her act (saying something or other that allowed Depp's lawyer to bring in the fact she was accused of domestic assault in her previous relationship, too). I'm glad for him.

I don't think Heard should be ostracized or never be allowed to work again, although I think what she did (trying to take Depp out in the court of public opinion on her way out of the relationship) was dirty. They both have their faults, they were in a mutually toxic relationship, the end. I feel bad for Mamoa if people boycott Aquaman because of this divorce circus. EDIT: Then again, there was actual video of her assaulting him (on top of what she was accused of in her prior relationship), so I don't know.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Amber Heard won one count of her counter suit - $2 million total.

Johnny Depp won $15 million on his end.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Amber Heard’s Attorney: She’ll Appeal Johnny Depp Verdict, Jury Swayed by Social Media Vitriol
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ambe ... 235283377/
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Disney can get lot of money if Deep comes back as Jack. Deep's fans would see this comeback as Johnny's renaissance. But it's going to be hard top bring him back. Now that He won lot of studios are going to propose him movies
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yeah, the press and social media will make it hard for Johnny Depp to come back. I've only found one article from a mainstream publication that was pro-Depp.
A seven-person jury in Fairfax, Virginia, awarded Depp $15 million on Wednesday, after finding Heard defamed him in a 2018 Washington Post op-ed by saying she was a victim of domestic abuse. Depp in turn was ordered to pay Heard $2 million related to her counter-claims in the case.

“Notwithstanding this high burden he had to meet, this was really a complete and total vindication for Johnny Depp,” former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani told TheWrap. Depp lost a similar defamation suit against British tabloid The Sun in November 2020. Rahmani called the results of that case a “complete and total failure” for Depp, but noted the actor made an “epic comeback” in his case against Heard.

“This is the most extraordinary legal and public relations comeback of my 20-year legal career,” Rahmani said. “Amber Heard was not likeable and she was not credible,” said Rahmani, who believes the jury saw through Heard’s claims about facts not pertaining to abuse. He said the “Aquaman” actress “exaggerated injuries” and lied about “donating the $7 million she received to charity when she didn’t. Leaking the video to TMZ and tipping them off — she claimed that it didn’t happen when it was obvious it did.”

During the trial, executives from the ACLU and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles testified that Heard has yet to deliver the full amounts she pledged to the organizations from her divorce settlement.

Additionally, Heard’s attorneys claimed they had a mountain of evidence that Depp was abusive. However, Rahmani said pictures shown in court didn’t match the description of the injuries she described. “So, the jurors punished her and they punished her by rejecting all of her claims,” Rahmani said.

Christine Scartz, a clinical assistant professor at the University of Georgia School of Law, said the case renewed her confidence in the jury system because jurors “listened through the noise” to arrive at a decision.

Rahmani said he believes Heard’s testimony ultimately tanked her case. “I don’t know if it was her narcissism, I don’t know if it was bad legal advice, I don’t know if it was her PR team not wanting her to admit anything but she took this very extreme position and I think the jury rejected her testimony outright,” Rahmani said. Depp, meanwhile, appeared “very likeable, vulnerable and genuine,” in Rahmani’s opinion.

He also called the trial “unique” in that it’s usually “difficult to prove intimate partner violence” but Depp and Heard had a lot of people around them like live-in friends and security who testified in the case. In Rahmani’s opinion, Depp’s rebuttal witnesses were the strongest including Kate Moss, LAPD officers who responded to a call for help but didn’t see signs of abuse and the Seattle airport officer who testified Heard was being abusive towards her ex. “Those are sort of independent witnesses that jurors say, hey this isn’t someone that’s Heard’s sister, this isn’t someone that’s on Depp’s payroll they don’t have a vested interest in the case and those tend to be the most credible witnesses,” Rahmani said.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depp-amb ... -analysis/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

European media seem to be very pro-Depp. Everything I hear is positive towards him.

I think the disconnect between public opinion and the media will become apparent when Aquaman 2 flops next year.
Disney's Divinity

PatrickvD wrote:I think the disconnect between public opinion and the media will become apparent when Aquaman 2 flops next year.
There's apparently a rumor in the gossip rags that her scenes in the film have been cut... Remains to be seen if that will be true or not.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I doubt that. It would launch a slew of bad publicity for the studio by the press and social media with the usual accusations of misogyny and victim-blaming. They are already getting flack for significantly reducing her role in the sequel. Amber Heard revealed that herself during the trial. However, the head of DC films said that this had nothing to do with Depp and their dispute, but was due to her lack of chemistry with Momoa. He also revealed they were thinking of recasting her for that reason, but instead opted for limiting her screentime.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

*deleted duplicate post*

-Jules
Last edited by Jules on Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.