LGBT Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: LGBT Disney

Post by carolinakid »

Duster, I’m curious after reading your response... what are some of the older DACs (Walt era) which you DON’T own? In my case, because I’m a completist, I own them all. If however, I only owned the films that I absolutely cannot live without, the 3 oldest that I would NOT own would be Fantasia, Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros.
Thanks for answering!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Nice of you to ask, carolinakid! I don't own Dumbo on DVD, but VHS somewhere. I don't own any Winnie the Poohs. I don't own The Sword in ths Stone or The Jungle Book. Definitely none of the package features. I don't own Lady and the Tramp or 101 Dalmatians. That's all Walt ones I don't own.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Two LGBT-themed films are coming to Disney+ soon.

On With The Show! “Trevor: The Musical” Will Make Its Disney+ Debut On June 24
https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/trevo ... on-june-24

Disney Original Documentary and Disney+ Announce Upcoming Feature Documentary on Music Icon, Global Legend and Best-Selling Artist Elton John
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... Elton-John
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Anybody planning to watch Ru Paul’s All Stars Drag Race Season 7 or the reboot of Queer As Folk?
The first two episodes of Drag Race are in Paramount+. (Go, Jinkx! She does an unbelievable Garland in Snatch Game!)

Queer debuts on Peacock on June 9. Happy Pride!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Have PRIDE: LGBTQIA+ Representation | Disney+: Bridging the Gap
https://youtu.be/IhhsyIG7E4s
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

“Say It With Pride: Disney+ Celebrates Pride 365” To Premiere On Disney+’s Youtube And Facebook On June 30
https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/say-i ... re-june-30
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In case people have missed it, in the show Baymax! there are two LGBTQ scenes:

One features a guy asking another guy on a date:
https://youtu.be/OWDkdpMrKA0

The other features a trans man buying tampons:
https://youtu.be/bruxDFL43Vg
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb wrote:One features a guy asking another guy on a date:
Here you can see the animator doing a shot progression:
https://youtu.be/4vlmJiWLv_8
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:In case people have missed it, in the show Baymax! there are two LGBTQ scenes.
Yeah, I heard about it. I believe The Daily Wire first reported the news which caused quite a stir among conservatives at the time. Interestingly, they are launching their own animation division with the showrunner of Tangled: The Series as the head which in turn caused quite a stir in the animation community.
Farerb wrote:One features a guy asking another guy on a date:
It looks like they repurposed Tadashi's model for the Asian guy. He looks way too similar to him. I hate it when Disney cheaps out like that.
Farerb wrote:The other features a trans man buying tampons:
https://youtu.be/bruxDFL43Vg
Having him literally wear the trans flag was too on the nose, in my opinion.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: Interestingly, they are launching their own animation division with the showrunner of Tangled: The Series as the head which in turn caused quite a stir in the animation community.
I'm surprised they'd hire someone like them, considering Tangled: The Series had quite a few strong female characters, which I don't think is something they endorse.

I don't really blame Sonnenburg. I'm sure he would've done something else for Disney if they gave him the opportunity; maybe this was the only job opportunity he ended up getting, so... :( I feel sorry for such a talented person having to work for those people though, poor guy. And you know there will a great deal of interference in the writing of any show he'll create.

I get Tangled: The Series wasn't a ratings hit or anything, but you'd think Disney would've given him a chance with another show considering what a cult fanbase the show developed, the critical praise, etc. I would've loved him to do a show for Frozen, Moana, Raya, or Encanto. Or the TP&TF show!! I would've adored that! Can you even imagine? Where he worked with Menken on Tangled: The Series, he might've even been able to pull him onto that one and Tiana would've finally got a soundtrack she deserves! That would've been a dream come true. I'd even have watched a BH6 show if he'd been in charge of it. Perhaps they could've made Hiro likable the way they managed to do with Flynn / Eugene. And like I've said in the past about how a hypothetical sequel where Tadashi turns out to be alive somehow (maybe with amnesia) being the best thing they could do since he's the only good thing about the original film aside from Baymax--I'd have loved that idea in a TV series, too. Especially with Disney on a rush to make as much as possible for Disney+, they could've given a talent like Sonnenburg something, for heaven's sake.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

After this news was announced, a number of artists who worked on "Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure" revealed how much they hated working for him on this show and that he was a nightmare of a boss.

"For context this was my boss on 'Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.' Working on that show was a nightmare for a lot of ppl and I nearly bled myself dry on it. So while I'm not surprised to see this, it still feels like a slap to the face."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

I don't buy that, tbh... I feel like that's Disney just going after him now he's become a competitor more than anything else.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:After this news was announced, a number of artists who worked on "Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure" revealed how much they hated working for him on this show and that he was a nightmare of a boss.
I've looked through the Twitter thread you posted and it's only one artist who claimed that. Also, these accusations are incredibly vague. It's irresponsible to make such claims without at least going into more detail. Was working on the show a nightmare because of the tight schedule or because of the showrunner's abusive behavior? She didn't specify anything and let people assume the worst about him.

It's not surprising his character is being attacked after the news broke. He's being perceived as a closeted Republican who went to work at a right-wing studio for ideological reasons. I do think he's talented and I hope he's successful at his new post, because he won't be able to work again at a liberal studio. He'll be blacklisted for sure.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:It looks like they repurposed Tadashi's model for the Asian guy. He looks way too similar to him. I hate it when Disney cheaps out like that.
I saw a lot of people being confused about that and thinking it was Tadashi. The animator even had to clarify that it wasn't him and in fact a new character: https://twitter.com/JonahSidhom/status/ ... 1E1Mw&s=19

On another note, am I the only one who thinks the introduction of LGBT characters in both Pixar and WDAS was boring and mundane and completely forgettable for something that should have been an important landmark? Where is the Disney magic? Are only straight people allowed to break curses and create magical fireworks? (I guess even that isn't happening nowadays).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:Where is the Disney magic? Are only straight people allowed to break curses and create magical fireworks? (I guess even that isn't happening nowadays).
I know people were clamoring for an epic, sweeping fairytale adaptation with a lead LGBT character that featured castles and villains and magic, but Disney doesn't do movies like that anymore. They are not going to change their new storytelling formula all of a sudden to give you that. You'll need to scratch that itch elsewhere. Nimona and The Witch Boy may do the trick. I predict the same-sex romance in Strange World will be as equally boring and mundane as that scene with Yukio and Mbita in Baymax!
Disney's Divinity

Well, I'm uncertain, but from what I'd heard the LGBT character in Strange World isn't the main character--only the father is a lead? That surprises me considering it sounded like another buddy film, although maybe one with 3 characters (the grandfather, father, son) rather than two. I guess the father is the lead and the other two are secondary?

Anyway, I think we'll get a First LGBT protagonist musical eventually, much like the first Black princess, the first Latina princess, etc. I liked both TP&TF and Encanto, so they can still manage a little something. I mean, it's never going to be everything I would've liked since hand-drawn animation is dead and villains are rare in Disney films these days. I don't think romance is off the table though--there's romance in Frozen, for example. It would be pretty hard to show a character is gay without one really...they'd have to resort to saying, "I'm gay." I think the lack of love interests is something to do with showing more female characters that don't revolve around a man simply because WDAS has a long history of the opposite. That won't exactly be an issue with two male characters or two female characters.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: I predict the same-sex romance in Strange World will be as equally boring and mundane as that scene with Yukio and Mbita in Baymax!
I'm sure it will.
Disney's Divinity

After ‘Thor’ and ‘Lightyear,’ Malaysia Government Commits to Banning More LGBT Films
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/mala ... 235338721/

Those poor Middle Eastern countries where they execute LGBT and women aren't allowed to learn, think, speak, walk around freely without being covered like an object, drive, etc. etc. Heh.

Anyway, I didn't know Thor 4 had LGBT content. Are Thor and Star-Lord finally going to make out? I'd pay to see that, their chemistry was off the charts. :wink:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In your dreams! :lol: Valkyrie kisses another woman's hand. Zeus has some male concubines in his harem. A kid insists on going by a gender-neutral name. Korg says he has two dads and that his species is conceived when two males hold hands over a lava pit. Korg also mentions Valkyrie’s deceased girlfriend and how because of it she’s closed herself off from love. Lastly, Korg is seen holding hands with his boyfriend Dwayne over a lava pit. I think that's it.
Disney's Divinity

The Zeus stuff makes sense considering the Ganymede story. Zeus went after pretty much anything that moved in Greek mythology. And I can totally see that with the Valkyrie character.