Moana 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Moana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I hope so, but the fact they took the time to create new logos for their other series, makes me believe it's the final one. I doubt they are going to change it or add "The Series" into the actual title. I know it'll still be referred to as "the series" despite that, but I would have preferred there was a distinction in the title itself.
Maybe you're right, but the impression I got is that they just improvised some of these logos for the presentation. The Moana logo was the same from the movie, the Tiana one was taken from the Spanish title and they only added a "+" to the Zootopia logo. The Baymax logo is the only one that looks final to me and it's probably the show that is in a more advanced state since they even showed part of an animatic for it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Moana series has been pushed back to 2024 and will be made in Vancouver. No word yet on who's going to be the director.
The first project out of the new studio will be the previously-announced Moana series, scheduled to debut on Disney+ in 2024. Osnat Shurer, the Oscar-nominated producer of the feature Moana as well as the recent Raya and the Last Dragon, is producing the series.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 234992792/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

We are actively seeking Story Artists to help navigate the narrative for our Moana series, coming to @disneyplus in 2023.
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimJobs/stat ... 7515590656
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Just announced: David G. Derrick Jr. will direct Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Moana” series for Disney+. Derrick first joined Disney Animation to work on 2016's Moana, which deepened his connection with his family’s Samoan roots.
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... 3187297280
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Apparently WDAS website originally said it is "coming soon in 2024", but that's not the case anymore and there's no longer a date. I guess it means this show is delayed as well just like Tiana is.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think the delay has to do with the slower-than-anticipated setting up of the Vancouver studio. It hasn't even been fully staffed yet.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Typical Disney. They expand with additional studios only to have it not work out according to schedule because they don’t get that creative energy cannot be engineered in a lab.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

It seems the series will still happen despite today's news: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... _0wig&s=19
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

When I asked Jared Bush for an update on the Moana Disney+ series in his Twitter Q&A this morning, this was all he could say: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... 98721?s=46.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder if Cravalho will return since she passed on the remake. Maybe this will be only Dwayne Johnson?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jennifer Lee talks about the Moana series.
But another, perhaps greater experiment is the plan for a Moana animated Disney+ series that acts as a sequel to the 2016 fantasy epic. "One of the things that I don't think is quite what we aim to do here is a Simpsons or a Phineas and Ferb, where it's a series formula," she explains of that project. "The filmmakers tend to work more in a miniseries kind of concept that's closer to features. In some ways, if it's five episodes, I think of it as a five-act play, but that's because of how a lot of us grew up. Some of us here have worked in series, so we help each other. But for me, it's more about the storytelling. No matter what format we're going to do it, it has to be as big, bold, epic, and of the same quality."
Source: https://ew.com/movies/disney-100-year-a ... -a-studio/
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Moana 2

Post by Clindor »

robster16
Special Edition

Re: Moana 2

Post by robster16 »

I could NOT be more disappointed and bored!

Fingers crossed for 2025 then, but I think we'll be stuck in sequel land for the next couple of years...
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

It's a safe move for Disney..
Probably what they need now

I thought it was going to be Zootopia 2.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Clindor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pmI thought it was going to be Zootopia 2.
At least they're not rushing that
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Unexpected, but not disappointing.

I'll take it.

Turning a likely 5-6 episode 18-20-minute per episodes series into a sequel is a smart way to get people in theaters.

Guess that means Walt Disney Animation Studios only has Tiana left to come on Disney+ after Iwaju.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The amount of damage control going on at Disney right now is truly on another level.

We haven’t seen this type of nonsense since Jeffrey Katzenberg personally started cutting into the Black Cauldron.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I wonder if they are not turning the Moana series project for Disney+ into a theatrical release..

Because the series was supposed to play out as a sequel to Moana (2016) (cut into episodes), and this announcement comes a little bit out of the blue.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I'm really scared about the storytelling quality of this. A series has such a different structure than a film it's hard to not imagine this will be disappointing. Hopefully they changed from one to the other way earlier than we expected. Still hoped it wouldn't be a sequel but eh

Interesting to note Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't seem to be involved, being replaced by Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear of... the (unnoficial) bridgerton musical (and lawsuit) fame
Last edited by rodrigo_ca on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm Turning a likely 5-6 episode 18-20-minute per episodes series into a sequel is a smart way to get people in theaters.
Is this official?