The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I hope she's not Ariel's mother. Her mom also becoming human and living on land makes Ariel's dream and predicament less unique, special, and radical.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I just saw the other pictures from set. Who are all those characters? There is a kingly character, a queenly character (Noma), and a princely character who is not Eric. There also appears to be two maids, I think? Are they filming the scene where Eric washes up ashore after the shipwreck? Could Eric find himself shipwrecked in a kingdom that is not his own? Or is this Eric’s family?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Emily Coates, who was rumored to play Vanessa, was also featured among the new photos. She looks more like a maid to me.

Here she is with another actress who looks like a maid and an actor who looks like a prince. Could Eric have a brother in this version? Or a best friend who's also a prince?

I think Noma Dumezweni and the character in the middle below could be the King and Queen. If this turns out to be true, it probably means the race of the characters is ignored in this version.

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sorry UmbrellaFish, I didn't mean to ignore your post. It's just that I had mine almost finished when I saw yours, and decided to post it anyways.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Are they filming the scene where Eric washes up ashore after the shipwreck?
I think so.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Could Eric find himself shipwrecked in a kingdom that is not his own?
That's an interesting theory, maybe you're right. But I think it's more likely Eric's family because they look worried about him. Well, at least Noma's character does.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

D82 wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:Could Eric find himself shipwrecked in a kingdom that is not his own?
That's an interesting theory, maybe you're right. But I think it's more likely it's Eric's family because they look worried about him. Well, at least Noma's character does.
Noma definitely stands out, doesn’t she? Her character seems most active in this scene and her costume is much more elaborate than anybody else’s. I really like the way her dress is moving in that picture.

And where is Grimsby? We know he was cast in the movie, but I guess he no longer finds the shipwrecked Eric? And where is Max? They wouldn’t leave out Max would they???
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Noma definitely stands out, doesn’t she? Her character seems most active in this scene and her costume is much more elaborate than anybody else’s.
That's true. That's why I'm not completely sure if the other two characters are part of the family or not. Maybe the old man is Grimsby, but do people who are not royalty wear that kind of sash he wears?
UmbrellaFish wrote:And where is Max? They wouldn’t leave out Max would they???
You're right, Max should be in that scene too.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Aww, I'm so excited to see more pictures from set! maybe these are all courtiers and members of the nobility? King and Queens are not the only ones at court that dress stately. The Grand Duke and Captain wore nice costumes, and so did Jafar in Aladdin. Lumiere and Cogsworth wore nice outfits as well,
UmbrellaFish wrote: And where is Grimsby? We know he was cast in the movie, but I guess he no longer finds the shipwrecked Eric? And where is Max? They wouldn’t leave out Max would they???
I personally don't think Max is necessary to the plot, but I feel like Abu has been the only live-action animal that had prominent scenes. Bruno was cut, Lucifer only appeared in 4 scenes, and Rajah was barely around.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

D82 wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:Noma definitely stands out, doesn’t she? Her character seems most active in this scene and her costume is much more elaborate than anybody else’s.
That's true. That's why I'm not completely sure if the other two characters are part of the family or not. Maybe the old man is Grimsby, but do people who are not royalty wear that kind of sash he wears?
UmbrellaFish wrote:And where is Max? They wouldn’t leave out Max would they???
You're right, Max should be in that scene too.
According to DisInsider, Grimsby is played by actor Jude Akuwudike. From pictures on the internet, he doesn’t look anything like the actor in these photos. Although until the casting is confirmed by Disney or in the trades, we should probably take this with a grain of salt even if it’s all we have to go on for now.

Re: the sash, I mean it’s American movie fairy tale royalty. We play fast and loose with the details haha. I think real royalty only wear sashes for formal occasions. To my mind, the clothes these characters are wearing are visual shorthand for royalty, especially Noma’s tiara.
tsom wrote: I personally don't think Max is necessary to the plot, but I feel like Abu has been the only live-action animal that had prominent scenes. Bruno was cut, Lucifer only appeared in 4 scenes, and Rajah was barely around.
But Max is adorable, tsom.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

tsom wrote:maybe these are all courtiers and members of the nobility? King and Queens are not the only ones at court that dress stately. The Grand Duke and Captain wore nice costumes, and so did Jafar in Aladdin. Lumiere and Cogsworth wore nice outfits as well,
Maybe you're right.
UmbrellaFish wrote:According to DisInsider, Grimsby is played by actor Jude Akuwudike. From pictures on the internet, he doesn’t look anything like the actor in these photos. Although until the casting is confirmed by Disney or in the trades, we should probably take this with a grain of salt even if it’s all we have to go on for now.
Yes, I noticed that too, but I think the DisInsider is most likely wrong about Noma's character being Carlotta, so they could be wrong about Grimsby too. I agree, we should take all the info that's not official with a grain of salt.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Re: the sash, I mean it’s American movie fairy tale royalty. We play fast and loose with the details haha. I think real royalty only wear sashes for formal occasions.
I've now remembered the Grand Duke in Cinderella also wears a sash, so maybe that character could indeed be Grimsby or another member of the nobility and not necessarily a king.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Whatever their rank, I definitely think Noma and the older man are a couple. There is a degree of intimacy between them which I would not expect if they were not a couple or two people of unequal status.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

There is the scene of the false wedding in the animated film where there are the group of aristocrats shocked at Ariel's voice returning and Ursula exploding out of the wedding dress. Perhaps they moved the fake wedding to the beach to put more focus on the sun setting in the ocean behind or something? Or perhaps because Ursula and Triton's confrontation will happen at the shore with the humans present instead of underwater where Eric has to go after Ariel alone. (And since, as brought up in this thread before, I think there will not be a Giant Ursula climax.) Yeah, it sounds so far like barely anything's going to be the same in this film. God, why even make remakes then? Why not make an original adaptation under one of the 5,000 companies they own now, Jesus.

Perhaps the movie is simply imitating the Broadway show and instead of a wedding taking place, there will be a singing competition before Ursula floods her way onto the beach at sunset. :lol: :roll: I suppose if they were to write a brother into the story for Eric, they might be changing the ending so that Ariel doesn't leave the ocean behind forever to be with Eric, but that they alternate back and forth underwater and on land. A brother, particularly an older brother, would mean Eric doesn't really have any real obligations and so he could go back and forth that way.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

On second thought, the more I look at the picture, the more I can see the man with the sash being Grimsby. He and Carlotta did have a fairly intimate relationship towards one another, and played pseudo parental figures towards Eric. If this were a scene like the fake wedding or perhaps the real wedding, the dress there wouldn't be so weird on Carlotta then. She would be dressing better than usual at an event like that. That would also explain why there would be lesser maids standing so near to them.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:There is the scene of the false wedding in the animated film where there are the group of aristocrats shocked at Ariel's voice returning and Ursula exploding out of the wedding dress. Perhaps they moved the fake wedding to the beach to put more focus on the sun setting in the ocean behind or something? Or perhaps because Ursula and Triton's confrontation will happen at the shore with the humans present instead of underwater where Eric has to go after Ariel alone. (And since, as brought up in this thread before, I think there will not be a Giant Ursula climax.) Yeah, it sounds so far like barely anything's going to be the same in this film. God, why even make remakes then? Why not make an original adaptation under one of the 5,000 companies they own now, Jesus.

Perhaps the movie is simply imitating the Broadway show and instead of a wedding taking place, there will be a singing competition before Ursula floods her way onto the beach at sunset. :lol: :roll: I suppose if they were to write a brother into the story for Eric, they might be changing the ending so that Ariel doesn't leave the ocean behind forever to be with Eric, but that they alternate back and forth underwater and on land. A brother, particularly an older brother, would mean Eric doesn't really have any real obligations and so he could go back and forth that way.
It’s funny you suggest the beginning of the climax scene Being altered and taking place on the beach, because that’s what they did in Kingdom Hearts II :-) Indeed, it seems as though Disney is taking more and more influence from Kingdom Hearts In some of their projects lately. The change in the climax to the live action Aladdin is also reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts I in more ways than one, Not only from Iago becoming a giant monster version of himself like a heartless, but more precisely like how the boss battle in the Aladdin world in Kingdom Hearts one it’s actually you battling Iago Who is Carrying the lamp. Rafiki Having another area similar to his tree Beside/within The side of pride rock On the lion guard being exactly what they did to His tree in Kingdom Hearts II. Even Gabby Gabby‘s plot to steal Woody‘s voice box in toy story four is essentially a Kingdom Hearts plot with her metaphorically trying to steal his heart [As a Sidenote directly related to this topic, It’s also more obviously reminiscent of Ursula trying to steal Ariel’s voice eh? Not to mention Woody want to escape his original world and Be part of the wider one with his true love :-)

All comparisons Aside, whatever changes they make are truly acceptable as long as they stay overall true to a source material and therefore will be truly appropriate for Not only the material and series as it is but within the new context that they are presenting it in. With all of this being said, as much as it doesn’t seem like they’re gonna be doing it, I do truly hope they don’t take that aspect in from the Broadway musical even if they do Adapt some elements from The Musical. And even if Max is cut like what happen with the animal characters in Aladdin, they could always add Him on during re-shoots if enough people make a big deal about it. It’s also kind of funny like you’re suggesting about Ariel and Eric alternate between land and sea because when I was younger that’s what I kind of thought they were going to do, and I used to always think that during poor unfortunate souls that those Merpeople that were shown when Ursula was explaining her powers were Ariel and Eric, the latter As a merman. As another Sidenote, it may be Rob Marshall essentially doing/expanding upon what happened to the mermaid and human couple In his other Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides, and indirectly giving confirmation and will officially happened with that :-)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:On second thought, the more I look at the picture, the more I can see the man with the sash being Grimsby. He and Carlotta did have a fairly intimate relationship towards one another, and played pseudo parental figures towards Eric. If this were a scene like the fake wedding or perhaps the real wedding, the dress there wouldn't be so weird on Carlotta then. She would be dressing better than usual at an event like that. That would also explain why there would be lesser maids standing so near to them.
I think the scene being filmed in those images is most likely the one in which Eric is found on the shore after being rescued by Ariel, but I guess it could also be after the fake wedding and the climax with Ursula. Yes, that could maybe explain that outfit, if she really is Carlotta. It would also mean that part of the movie has also been changed and Ariel doesn't appear to Eric immediately after he wakes up on the shore.

By the way, I wonder what that piece of cloth Eric is holding in several of the photos is, like for example here. Could it be something Ariel leaves behind before running away?
Disney's Divinity

Patricier21 wrote: It’s funny you suggest the beginning of the climax scene Being altered and taking place on the beach, because that’s what they did in Kingdom Hearts II :-) Indeed, it seems as though Disney is taking more and more influence from Kingdom Hearts In some of their projects lately. The change in the climax to the live action Aladdin is also reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts I in more ways than one, Not only from Iago becoming a giant monster version of himself like a heartless, but more precisely like how the boss battle in the Aladdin world in Kingdom Hearts one it’s actually you battling Iago Who is Carrying the lamp. Rafiki Having another area similar to his tree Beside/within The side of pride rock On the lion guard being exactly what they did to His tree in Kingdom Hearts II. Even Gabby Gabby‘s plot to steal Woody‘s voice box in toy story four is essentially a Kingdom Hearts plot with her metaphorically trying to steal his heart [As a Sidenote directly related to this topic, It’s also more obviously reminiscent of Ursula trying to steal Ariel’s voice eh? Not to mention Woody want to escape his original world and Be part of the wider one with his true love :-)
I think it's possible they have taken some ideas from Kingdom Hearts. I know the production of Kingdom Hearts 3 was different from other games in the series because Lasseter was micromanaging it since it was the first time the series had used properties he had been involved with (Frozen, Tangled, etc.). He forced the KH people to work with the producers / directors from those films in making their worlds in KH3--for the films he had worked on, it didn't seem to be the case for the Hercules or PotC worlds. So the people at WDAS may have taken a few thoughts from their experience working with the Square Enix during that. Raya and the Last Dragon definitely felt very KH-inspired with the dark creatures coming out of the light, which had been fought over by the people. And of course Raya literally being called a princess of Heart. :P
It’s also kind of funny like you’re suggesting about Ariel and Eric alternate between land and sea because when I was younger that’s what I kind of thought they were going to do, and I used to always think that during poor unfortunate souls that those Merpeople that were shown when Ursula was explaining her powers were Ariel and Eric, the latter As a merman. As another Sidenote, it may be Rob Marshall essentially doing/expanding upon what happened to the mermaid and human couple In his other Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides, and indirectly giving confirmation and will officially happened with that :-)
Oh, yes, I often think that was the case, too, that Triton would transform on special occasions when they would have a family get-together. I think they may just make it more explicit here in the dialogue so it doesn't seem so permanent when Ariel says by at the end to Triton.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I also believe that the Black man and woman are the King and Queen and Eric's parents. Not only are they dressed more regal than everyone else there, but their outfits are color-coordinated. It's clearly a visual shorthand for both their rank and relationship. I guess that means we're going to get another case of Brandi's Cinderella when it comes to casting. I think it's easier to suspend disbelief when it comes to the genetics of mythological creatures like mermaids than of real people regardless if the film's a fantasy or not. Bardem being Ariel's dad is more believable than two Black people being the biological parents of a white son. I mean, it can happen if one or both parents have mixed ancestry in their family tree, but it's extremely rare. Anyway, Coates' character doesn't seem to be part of the nobility. I thought they'd make Ariel's rival a princess like she was in the original fairytale, but it seems that won't be the case. The other white guy is either the captain of the guard or Eric's younger brother. Maybe he's Grimsby and they made him younger and Eric's friend instead of an older father figure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I think the scene being filmed in those images is most likely the one in which Eric is found on the shore after being rescued by Ariel.
I think so too.
D82 wrote:By the way, I wonder what that piece of cloth Eric is holding in several of the photos is, like for example here. Could it be something Ariel leaves behind before running away?
I hope not. That would be too Cinderella-like.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Patricier21 wrote: It’s funny you suggest the beginning of the climax scene Being altered and taking place on the beach, because that’s what they did in Kingdom Hearts II :-) Indeed, it seems as though Disney is taking more and more influence from Kingdom Hearts In some of their projects lately. The change in the climax to the live action Aladdin is also reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts I in more ways than one, Not only from Iago becoming a giant monster version of himself like a heartless, but more precisely like how the boss battle in the Aladdin world in Kingdom Hearts one it’s actually you battling Iago Who is Carrying the lamp. Rafiki Having another area similar to his tree Beside/within The side of pride rock On the lion guard being exactly what they did to His tree in Kingdom Hearts II. Even Gabby Gabby‘s plot to steal Woody‘s voice box in toy story four is essentially a Kingdom Hearts plot with her metaphorically trying to steal his heart [As a Sidenote directly related to this topic, It’s also more obviously reminiscent of Ursula trying to steal Ariel’s voice eh? Not to mention Woody want to escape his original world and Be part of the wider one with his true love :-)
I think it's possible they have taken some ideas from Kingdom Hearts. I know the production of Kingdom Hearts 3 was different from other games in the series because Lasseter was micromanaging it since it was the first time the series had used properties he had been involved with (Frozen, Tangled, etc.). He forced the KH people to work with the producers / directors from those films in making their worlds in KH3--for the films he had worked on, it didn't seem to be the case for the Hercules or PotC worlds. So the people at WDAS may have taken a few thoughts from their experience working with the Square Enix during that. Raya and the Last Dragon definitely felt very KH-inspired with the dark creatures coming out of the light, which had been fought over by the people. And of course Raya literally being called a princess of Heart. :P
It’s also kind of funny like you’re suggesting about Ariel and Eric alternate between land and sea because when I was younger that’s what I kind of thought they were going to do, and I used to always think that during poor unfortunate souls that those Merpeople that were shown when Ursula was explaining her powers were Ariel and Eric, the latter As a merman. As another Sidenote, it may be Rob Marshall essentially doing/expanding upon what happened to the mermaid and human couple In his other Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides, and indirectly giving confirmation and will officially happened with that :-)
Oh, yes, I often think that was the case, too, that Triton would transform on special occasions when they would have a family get-together. I think they may just make it more explicit here in the dialogue so it doesn't seem so permanent when Ariel says by at the end to Triton.
I take it you meant Eric transformed for family get together’s :-) You also forgot to mention that Moana seems very kingdom hearts inspired indeed as many people will tell you with the Wanted to escape the island explore new places and trying to Find/restore the “heart” of The Ocean :-)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Anyway, Coates' character doesn't seem to be part of the nobility. I thought they'd make Ariel's rival a princess like she was in the original fairytale, but it seems that won't be the case.
It's also possible the DisInsider was wrong and she's not playing Vanessa. Maybe Jessica Alexander is the actress who's playing her. I think she looks the part more.
Sotiris wrote:The other white guy is either the captain of the guard or Eric's younger brother. Maybe he's Grimsby and they made him younger and Eric's friend instead of an older father figure.
Who knows, maybe you're right about him being Grimsby. If Eric has parents in this version, there's no need for another father figure for him.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:It's also possible the DisInsider was wrong and she's not playing Vanessa. Maybe Jessica Alexander is the actress who's playing her. I think she looks the part more.
You make a good point. She does look the part more and DisInsider is far from reliable.
D82 wrote:If Eric has parents in this version, there's no need for another father figure for him.
That's true.